Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2005, 08:59 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax
I was watching the news just yesterday. They were talking about the fuel cost and made the remark "fuel costs are up 33% from this time last year". In almost the same breath the economists reported that "the major oil companies report a increase in prophets of 32%, due to the increased volume of fuel purchased this year". What???????

Gary
If this is true and we would indeed have an increase of 32% more "prophets" by simply consuming more fuel, I say let's start lining up and pumping.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:28 PM   #42
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Greed

Filled up my F150 this morning on the south side of Atlanta at $2.45/gallon. Filled up my E250 (company van) at the same pump, same station, Thursday morning for $2.30. Filled up the mini-van late last week at the same pump, same station for $2.19/gallon. This is called greed. Pure and simple.

I understand basic economics as well as any reasonably educated idiot. Prices don't increase at these rediculous rates when there has been no actual increase in the supply chain from field to retail. (Gas that we buy today cost substantially less than $67.00 per barrel when purchased months ago). And yes, I know, you mark up the price TODAY, in expectation of the contract price in the future.

Anybody remember the '60's? '70's? I remember paying about $.35/gallon in the early '70's. I remember "gas wars" in the late '60's when you could buy gas for $.29/gallon. I know, and milk was $.97/gallon, right? My point is this: If you take the prices I remember from when I began driving in the early '70s ($.35), todays prices of about $2.50 represent an approximate increase of 700%. Inflation generally is no where near 700% over the last 30 years. In fact, consumer goods have generally been on a downward trend over the last 10 years or so.

Just for the record, energy prices were exceedingly low under both Reagan and Clinton. This is not a democrat/republican thing. Trust me, I have definite views on our political leadership, but Clinton had nothing to do with energy prices during his tenure in the White House. It’s more likely that circumstance dictated the price at the pump.

Also for the record, there is no shortage of oil. There is no shortage of gasoline. There is no shortage of any type of hydrocarbon. You don’t have to believe me. You can look it up for yourself.

Instead, I would suggest that the price increase since 9/11 (roughly 150%) has more to do with hype than real economics. America believes there is a problem, so therefore, there must be a problem. Unreasonable people, most of them off-shore (but many within our own borders) now control the energy industry. Consumers don’t, anymore. Another way to read this statement is that pure greed has taken over.

Want to do something positive about the problem? Write your congressman and senator a simple letter and ask them “What can YOU do to help the common person with gas prices.” Don’t go into the diatribe that I have presented here. If you get a politician’s B/S response, then choose the low road. Remember, you are paying their salary. You can find them at www.house.gov and www.senate.gov.

While we like to blame the mid-east for our energy problems, remember a couple of facts. Most of our oil, coal and gas come from 1) The United States of America

2) Mexico 3) Canada 4) Venezuela 5) then everybody else. True, the mid east is a BIG problem, but they are not our chief suppliers.

Lastly, America has been a great country for 229 years because of hard work and common sense. What’s happened to that? Knock off the hype and think problems through.

Just my $2.45 worth.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:27 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Exclamation

Drove the GMC today. Needed to haul a ladder to church to clean out gutters. That truck has been driven exactly once a week since international to keep it in working order. 12mpg around town or pulling, no difference.

The Camry is getting all of the miles. Don't check it around town but, took it to Ohio to see the kids and got 34.4mpg with the a/c. Coming back on a cool day without a/c, it got 36.6mpg(best I have every gotten). I run 62-63mph whenever possible.

My observations are though that behavior has not changed very much up to $2.10-2.20 a gallon. Jack rabbit starts, 75mph where ever possible, pickups are still selling good, aggressive tailgating, pleasure riding, etc. Let's face it folks, we are more addicted to gasoline than we are to cigarettes. I think it is chocolate, gasoline, and cigarettes in that order. Totally inflexible demand curves.

My oil stocks have done quite well the last 2 years.

Now the japanese car stocks are getting ready for a run up, already started.

I pulled into Walmart this pm and regular is 2.48 per gal. Passed on gas at 2.32 yesterday. I drove out, couldn't bring myself to pay that much, at least until the tank is on empty.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:04 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Fuel in the SW today....

Hello all -

Got a fill on the 'Burb today - only half empty but cheaper than tomorrow!??

Paid 2.589/gal at CostCo. Cheapest on average over time that I have found.

Wow! Thinking of the BIG trip I just took with the AS and the kids, my fuel was THE major cost along the way.... would be even higher today. Sigh

Would that stop me - NO WAY. Drive the 'Burb because I haul 3 kids everywhere I go. Could get by with a Honda or Camry but there IS the safety and "the don't m*ss with me" attitude that someone else referenced. Yup, its true. Plus my truck gets lots of looks because it just looks GREAT.

2001 2500 4x4 6L, Kelly Green with push bar - and THE look!

Bought this car/truck before we left for Europe. The thought was that we WOULD be safe regardless of what was around us or what might hit us/ we might hit. We would walk away - period!

Gas, as discussed, is VERY expensive there. NOT a consideration! Didn't even have an AS in mind in those days. Just lucky I guess!

Seriously, gas costs what it costs. There are a host of issues about all that, but there isn't anything I can do about them as I stand at the pump, therefor I pump it full and it cost what it costs. Am I happy about it? No. Am I changing my driving habits? No. Am I chaging my vehicle any time soon? No.

I know LOTS of people that have traded trucks ( at a LOSS!) due to costs of fuel plus the payment. New vs. old + the incentives! Can't say I blame them but I ain't going there!

Sic the greenies and tree huggers on me! I don't care!

"Just gotta do 'fer me and mine!"

My .02 cents

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:07 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Opps - forget this nugget!

Hello again all!

The referenced price is for 93 Octane Premium.

Thanks all.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:14 AM   #46
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I know we can't, but it would be nice if we went back to the middle of the 20th century, as far as wages and prices. Prices were mostly fair, people made a decent living without both spouses having to work full-time, and most businesses did well, too. Our buying power was greater, and no one had to chisel the last dime of profit out of a deal to be able to afford it.
I would work for $1.95/hour, as long as gas was 19 cents a gallon, and a loaf of bread was a dime. Oh, yes, and my house payment was $52/ month.
Terry,
I agree with you in principle but society today won't live that way they want it all, they want it now, and they want it a bargin basement prices....just a minor example....I have a "kitchen" table that belonged to my great grandfather, he was skilled laborer (machinist) and made a very good living at what he did, that table cost him 1/2 a month's wages...It is a beautiful drop leaf solid walnut table, but I don't see too many people today paying that kind of money for a single piece of furniture. People back then did not have houses crammed full of cheap plastic chinese made junk....we as a society need to face the fact we have a "stuff" problem....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #47
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, it's now hit much closer to home.....

The fuel prices for 93 octane yesterday, as I left for work were 2.79 and 2.89 at the two gas stations near the house, in town. Last night, on my way home one is 2.99 and the other was still 2.89, but clearly, it will also be 2.99 as it is about 12 hours difference from the other.

As a side note, both these stations were at 2.59 (for 93 octane) about 7-10 days ago. The last week or so, it's gone up .30/gal.

At this point, it's starting to seriously look like driving is going to be severely limited. All I own are gas hogs.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:25 AM   #48
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
BTW, FWIW, I just sent two emails to our reps off the link above.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Those in the power business on the West Coast know what happened when power was at $300 per megawatt hour. Companies like ENRON manipulated the power markets to maximize profits. Some companies also shut down power plants "for maintenance" which also drove the price of power through the roof.

Now to fuel, it seems that a large amount of refineries have closed or reduced capacity "for maintenance". Umm!
The excuse that summer storms in the Southeast is also causeing troubles driving up the price of a barrel, if this is true why has this not happened in the past. Also, why should it effect the price in the Pacific NorthWest.
Instability of supplies out of the "islamic states", no actually you can find shipping rates out of the those areas have increased to the US.

So why has the cost of a barrel of oil increased?
Profit big profits. Looks like a repeat of the power markets of the 2000.

Need I say more?
Old 08-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #50
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Gee .. looking at that chart, I feel sorta sorry for Conoco-Phillips. Still stuck in the double digits ... What a bunch of wimps.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:54 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Funny how oil companies can sell people on how environmentally friendly, unobtrusive, and undisturbing they can be when they want to drill for and transport oil on public land and/or pristine wilderness,
and yet...,

when it comes to building refineries, they can't seem to overcome that hurdle, they just throw up their hands in frustration, and say people don't want the unfriendly, obtrusive, and disturbing things in their neighborhoods, so we aren't building them.

Um, right.

Btw, I have yet to see a refinery in anyone's 'backyard'.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
i need to find a racket like the oil companies have....they cant build a refinery because of niby....then run at 95% capacity, and when the unit breaks down, the price goes up....
got any ideas porky?.....i promise you wont need a .05 shrink....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Anybody seen any stations posting "OUT OF GAS" ? I remember such sign's in the seventies, and odd even days to be able to purchase fuel, based on your lic. plate number. There seems to be a shortage, based on who's opinion?
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:42 PM   #54
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
$5.00/galon gas

Anyone want to buy a RV?
Old 08-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #55
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
When gas finally costs more a gallon than beer, i'm WALKING to the bar! (GOOD beer, now... not that milwaukee crap!)

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
In AMERICA, from DAY ONE, regardless of shifting this or changing that...the one concept of capitalism that has ALWAYS remained unfettered...SINK OR SWIM.
The key word in your post is "LET" which puts you on the losing end of the program right out of the chute.
Like it or not this is a fast changing world right now and if you dont adapt and change with it you'll sink like a rock. There is an old mode of operation that no longer works and if you keep doing things the old way...well, the results are inevitable. Thats why vacant plants and facilities line the highways and huge companies are going bankrupt everyday...they're still trying to operate like 1960...Im just sorry the phone company hasnt one of the losers yet.
I can hardly contain myself or believe my ears when I hear people complain about jobs or the economy or money...There are MORE opportunities now than there EVER HAVE BEEN. All you have to do is use your imagination.

The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again expecting a different result. -Anonymous-
chikagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #57
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Cool Hmm imagining a solution....tow vehicle??

Think this model comes in aluminum? Lets see vet bills, stall cleaning, straw, hay, grain, harness, hmm gas prices don't look so bad do they?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #58
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
So why has the cost of a barrel of oil increased?
Profit big profits. Looks like a repeat of the power markets of the 2000.

Need I say more?
Yea...one more thing that crosses my mind is that it's not limited to the US. There are more oil companies than just the ones listed. We heard from our friends in Germany right here on this thread and they are paying over $6/gal. So in fact who exactly is calling the shots?

One thing that really made me happy was that the "executives" that were behind the Enron fiasco, got some jail time. At least there you could actually find someone, but this time it seems more global.

I know the demand is higher than it's ever been around the world, but for it to spike as it's been, I'm kind of with one of the posts here....anyone want to buy an RV and a Suburban? I wouldn't wait for it to hit $5/gal, by that point, no one is gonna want it....heck, even flying isn't going to be easy either.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:20 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi arnaz
never had these problems with bill clinton
No, with Clinton everything was on autopilot. Everyone was cookin' the books
and takin' money to the bank in Dump trucks.
NOW we're paying for all of it. Cleaning up a mess...things always get worse before they get better.
chikagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:38 PM   #60
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
got any ideas porky?.....i promise you wont need a .05 shrink....
(In my best De Niro voice) ... You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?

Anyone familiar with the Hubbert peak ? The Wikpedia site is a light read ... so once you have digested that ... you can go to the mothership.

Disclaimer: Porky Pig does not endorse or recommend any commercial products, thought processes, get rich quick schemes, religions, or risky medical procedures. The views and opinions of authors expressed on hyper-linked sites do not necessarily state or reflect those of Porky Pig, and they may not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote