Old 08-13-2005, 10:58 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

I was watching the news just yesterday. They were talking about the fuel cost and made the remark "fuel costs are up 33% from this time last year". In almost the same breath the economists reported that "the major oil companies report a increase in prophets of 32%, due to the increased volume of fuel purchased this year". What???????

Now I'm not a world economist but, I feel pretty stupid right now. Someone has some explianing to do. I am a simple man and this resembles simple math.

Gary

Old 08-13-2005, 11:03 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
...and though I feel for our European friends that have been paying $5/gal for years...
Thanks Silvertwinky,

but $5/gal are an forgotten past for us... I drove to the supermarket today and nearly ran over an old lady crossing the street at the filling station, when I saw the "new" prices...

87 Octan was $6.069/gal and Diesel $5.359/gal

So there is still some way to go for the US-Prices before you´ll reach us...

Bjoern

BTW the old lady survived and I have a blue eye know as my wife kocked me out for braking... ehmmm I mean braking to hard

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Conundrum.....

Don't know how things are everywhere but, in my current travelings, both local and otherwise, I have never seen traffic as heavy as it is nowadays....simple as "supply and demand" I think!
Old 08-13-2005, 11:23 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Fortunately I have a company vehicle to use during the week, but today I took my Suburban out to run a few errands. Wow did that hurt! We are approaching $2.50/gallon here in the Tampa Bay area. I'm thankful that there are so many state parks and campgrounds within a 50 mile radius of here!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #33
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn

87 Octan was $6.069/gal and Diesel $5.359/gal
That's totally nuts...if you're paying by the Euro, using the current conversion, that puts 87 octane at $7.59 US (approx).

If I filled even my Impala with a 23 gallon tank it would cost me $174 to fill based on your current price levels....I would not be able to afford to drive except to work. I don't know how you do it. If I filled our Suburban to tow the Airstream it would cost me $280.00 based at your current price levels in Germany (based on you all paying by Euro and that you in fact have done the litre to gallon conversion). Either way you cut it though, it's not a pretty picture.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:50 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
That's totally nuts...if you're paying by the Euro, using the current conversion, that puts 87 octane at $7.59 US (approx).
No, I already converted it from Euro to US$, but we´ll reach the 7 Dollar around Christmas I guess.

The Barrelprice for Oil is up to $67.14 so there is something big coming in the near future...

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Check this out guys. I'm going to start doing this to every gas station I see!

http://gaswatch.energy.gov/

Let's get 'em!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Think back to 9/11 and the aftermath

Plain fact is that the whole U.S. and world economy shuddered - largely because we all stayed home close to our families - or glued to our televisions. Las Vegas would practically pay YOU to come visit.

The price of gas dropped to barely over $1 per gallon.

Todays high prices are possible only because we've put our noses back in the trough (but I do have a friend who just changed jobs because he can't give away a Hummer!).

I'm 56 and definitely not slim. I like my comforts and my daily drive is a Lexus - which after the Suburban looks like an economy car!

I'd never driven anything as big as the Suburban, and know what? Driving it without "Tin Lizzie" was a revelation - there's a whole different expectation of other drivers with a BIG vehicle. NO ONE tried to intimidate me and force me to change lanes so that they could have the lane I was in, no one pulled in front of me then slowed down to 40 MPH on the freeway, and people making a right turn on red WAITED for me to clear the intersection before pulling out in front of a PT Cruiser! I figured out why so many "big honkin' SUV" drivers are assholes.... because they can get away with it, and after long enough they get into the habit of driving aggressively.

I DECIDED to leave the Burb and drive the Lex when there is a choice - and WALK when it's an option. I need the exercise! I look for the middle path and try to USE resources but not WASTE them. Love your Airstream, use it, but use it wisely. Visit the wonders of your own state first - you may be surprised how many there are. If it works for you, park it a lake for a month or two, and live or weekend there, then move your "cabin on wheels" to another location and repeat. Getting there may be half the fun, but staying there long enough to KNOW the place and people is lots better than "5 states in 5 days".

just my 3 cents, Tin Lizzie
Old 08-13-2005, 12:36 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
The state of the country...UNCUT!

This is the problem as I see it. People in general are smarter buyers than they used to be. Everybody gets a great deal, nobody makes any money and the economy is starting to feel it. Everytime you buy a less expensive Chinese made product from Wal-Mart, that's somebody's job lost here. I've had customers that call back and forth between me and another dealership and wittle the price down to nothing then decide not to buy because we were trying to "make too much money" off of them. Somebody said here that her friend had to find another job because he couldn't "Give" a hummer away. I believe every word of that.

My question is this. If customers are so adamant about getting the best deal and so ruthless about shopping the brains out of everybody, and so willing to cross the country to save $300 on a Bambi, why then don't we do it at the gas pump? Make some calls and find the cheapest gas before you leave the house. It really does work.

Why do you thing GM, Ford, and Chrysler are all giving the employee discounts right now? Because they know that price is all the customer cares about right now and they've GOT to move metal. GM has moved countless plants to Mexico so they can pay cheaper labor so they can sell you a Suburban for a few hundred bucks less! Make some calls people! Quit complaing about it and start taking action. The rest of the economy is crippled due to the internet price shopper, why let the gas guys make all the money?

Am I getting worked up over this? Let me take a few deep breaths while somebody else puts in their two cents.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Actually the GM truck lines moved out of country didn't save the consumer anything....it cost the consumer the same for the truck, lost the US job and GM made approx $10k per truck profit due to the cheap labor. Now, no one is as interested in the trucks, so the $10k profit that was being made in the 90s is history, esp while fuel prices are where they are today.

On a side note, I have one of those Suburbans made in Mexico and I have to tell you, it's very well built. No issues so far and having purchased 3 GM vehicles prior to this Suburban, I have to say, it's the best one yet....I can't say for sure it's because it's made in Mexico or not, but typically the cars I've bought that were made here didn't seem to have the attention to detail the Suburban has......
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:22 PM   #39
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Turn back the clock...

I know we can't, but it would be nice if we went back to the middle of the 20th century, as far as wages and prices. Prices were mostly fair, people made a decent living without both spouses having to work full-time, and most businesses did well, too. Our buying power was greater, and no one had to chisel the last dime of profit out of a deal to be able to afford it.
I would work for $1.95/hour, as long as gas was 19 cents a gallon, and a loaf of bread was a dime. Oh, yes, and my house payment was $52/ month.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:26 PM   #40
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Local BP station (quicki-mart, self-serve) was $2.799/ gallon today.

Where I am seems to be the highest price in the Southeast. Pretty soon I will have to sell my Airstream to pay for gas for my tow vehicle...
in 24 hours, the price has gone to $2.849/ gallon. I wonder how many solar panels I would have to put on my Airstream to power my tow vehicle?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:59 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax
I was watching the news just yesterday. They were talking about the fuel cost and made the remark "fuel costs are up 33% from this time last year". In almost the same breath the economists reported that "the major oil companies report a increase in prophets of 32%, due to the increased volume of fuel purchased this year". What???????

Gary
If this is true and we would indeed have an increase of 32% more "prophets" by simply consuming more fuel, I say let's start lining up and pumping.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:28 PM   #42
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Greed

Filled up my F150 this morning on the south side of Atlanta at $2.45/gallon. Filled up my E250 (company van) at the same pump, same station, Thursday morning for $2.30. Filled up the mini-van late last week at the same pump, same station for $2.19/gallon. This is called greed. Pure and simple.

I understand basic economics as well as any reasonably educated idiot. Prices don't increase at these rediculous rates when there has been no actual increase in the supply chain from field to retail. (Gas that we buy today cost substantially less than $67.00 per barrel when purchased months ago). And yes, I know, you mark up the price TODAY, in expectation of the contract price in the future.

Anybody remember the '60's? '70's? I remember paying about $.35/gallon in the early '70's. I remember "gas wars" in the late '60's when you could buy gas for $.29/gallon. I know, and milk was $.97/gallon, right? My point is this: If you take the prices I remember from when I began driving in the early '70s ($.35), todays prices of about $2.50 represent an approximate increase of 700%. Inflation generally is no where near 700% over the last 30 years. In fact, consumer goods have generally been on a downward trend over the last 10 years or so.

Just for the record, energy prices were exceedingly low under both Reagan and Clinton. This is not a democrat/republican thing. Trust me, I have definite views on our political leadership, but Clinton had nothing to do with energy prices during his tenure in the White House. It’s more likely that circumstance dictated the price at the pump.

Also for the record, there is no shortage of oil. There is no shortage of gasoline. There is no shortage of any type of hydrocarbon. You don’t have to believe me. You can look it up for yourself.

Instead, I would suggest that the price increase since 9/11 (roughly 150%) has more to do with hype than real economics. America believes there is a problem, so therefore, there must be a problem. Unreasonable people, most of them off-shore (but many within our own borders) now control the energy industry. Consumers don’t, anymore. Another way to read this statement is that pure greed has taken over.

Want to do something positive about the problem? Write your congressman and senator a simple letter and ask them “What can YOU do to help the common person with gas prices.” Don’t go into the diatribe that I have presented here. If you get a politician’s B/S response, then choose the low road. Remember, you are paying their salary. You can find them at www.house.gov and www.senate.gov.

While we like to blame the mid-east for our energy problems, remember a couple of facts. Most of our oil, coal and gas come from 1) The United States of America

2) Mexico 3) Canada 4) Venezuela 5) then everybody else. True, the mid east is a BIG problem, but they are not our chief suppliers.

Lastly, America has been a great country for 229 years because of hard work and common sense. What’s happened to that? Knock off the hype and think problems through.

Just my $2.45 worth.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote