Old 08-13-2005, 05:29 AM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Angry Trying To Stay Out Of Politics, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi arnaz
never had these problems with bill clinton
Bill Clinton wasn't an oil man, from Texas. He had his own problems, though. Who's to say how things might be different, with someone different at the helm. Our gas prices might be lower, but we also might have needed to learn to speak Arabic. But we'll never know.

Old 08-13-2005, 07:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
History

We should have learned from our history in the late 60's and early 70's, but we just keep repeating it. You just can't fight a war over seas and have a good economy back home. You can have one or they other, but not both.

Old 08-13-2005, 07:15 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Yeah, it's funny that on Fortune's top 500 list, Wal-Mart is the largest ($) company followed by three oil companies, then GM. You'd think that if a company's raw material cost went up their profit margin would narrow, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the oil companies been making record profits? Somebody up the ladder (i.e. Capitol Hill) needs to wake up. Nice they are spending a record amount on that transportation bill that just passed, shame people won't be able to afford to enjoy the improved roads
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:12 AM   #18
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
Gas Prices

I parked my motor home(50 gls), I/O boat(25 gls) and tow vehicle(2X18 gls), and took the insurance off. I am using the insurance refund to buy gas for the BMW. I am also draining the gas out of the above tanks for the BMW. When all the money and recycled gas is gone, I may get a bicycle. My company wants me to drive 1500 miles to a job location. I told them they would have to fly me.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:37 AM   #19
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
boycot

There is a gas shortage because of the problems at refineries being shut down. Here is a way to fix that, and drive prices down.
Everyone in the US park their vehicles every Saturday for a month.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
There is a solution to the high cost of diesel and that is Bio-Diesel. Of course the oil industry as it structured now has no way to profit from it. However, the soybean farmer sure would see a nice return as well as a boon to the rural economy that supports the industry. There would also be a need for all that waste oil from the thousands of french friers in our country. Diesel engines can run on a blend of bio-diesel and pure diesel like we use alcohol or even on pure bio- diesel. I have a new Isuzu diesel engine in my MH and have been told it can be run on bio diesel, if only I can find it. Imagine a home grown fuel that we can just keep growing more of and also one that is now considered a waste. This is a solution which must be researched and not ignored any longer. If you want to learn more I encourage you to do a search on Google just type in "Bio- Diesel."

Remember that the high cost of diesel is not just hurting us RV owners it is hitting almost everything we buy. Transportation costs are just passed on to the consumer whether it be by the pizza delivery guy or by the trucking industry.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:07 AM   #21

Currently Looking...
, Washington
Bio diesel

We are looking for a new tow vehicle and I never would have considered a diesel engine before I started hearing about Bio-diesel. A friend tells me that here in Seattle, the metro bus line is being converted. The oddest part about it is the smell. Like french fries driving by.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Gee, I' thought the more you buy of a product, the lower the unit cost. Hummm. So much for haggling, even at a garage sale these days. Can't wait for the entire shipping industry to start using those same ads the domestic auto manufactures are saying:
"You Pay What We Pay", Or The Goods Won't Be On There Way !
(Diesel here is now $3.04, an increase .34 in 2 days)
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Regular unleaded will be $3.00 or more a gallon by Christmas. $4.00 by next summer.

I will have to sell my Airstreams, my Cub Cadets. My property taxes keep going up and my pay keeps the same (for 5 years now). I have added two kids in that time ( I did put an end to that "problem" )and my wife is out of the work force. ( I want her home for the kids )

"The economy is recovering very well" I hear on the news. BS!! I will have to get a second job just to afford gas to get to work. The jokers here in my county want to raise property taxes again?!?!!?!

"Amazingly affordable at $350,000.00" Is one of the home builder adds around here too. Who the hell can afford that kind of mortgage and gas too?!?!?!!?!?

Sorry had to vent......
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Till, your right! Those affordable homes near you, are being financed by more than just one generation in their families, just like here. When it comes to car and truck ownership, I have always looked at my cost per mile, so when I think of the many folks, that have bought SUV's over the past several years just for local transportation, I Have to believe they were not thinking of cost per mile, but rather loan payment per month, and now face fuel payments, that are now higher in cost. My work car is .21 cents per mile, while my pickup is .35 cents per mile, with current fuel costs. Glad there paid for. Jeff
Old 08-13-2005, 10:02 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
You all have good points, Ed especially. Just consume less. Then it doesn't matter what the gas prices are. I can afford to look away from the pump while filling my Chevy S-10 because it's small & it's towing a '62 Bambi.

And if we aren't headed out of town, I run errands on my bicycle. I use about a tank a month with the Chevy. I think cell phones are annoying & too expensive, so I don't have one.

You might all come up with reasons why you MUST use beaucoup gas, but every choice you make is exactly that: a choice. You could make different choices. Till could have his wife work so there would be more money flowing into the house, but he chooses to do without material goods in favor of life's intangibles. At some point in history, humans got by without every convenience that we take for granted. We can do it again.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Here's one many cost per mile calculators out there:
http://www.metrocommuterservices.org/costcal.asp
Old 08-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
There is a solution to the high cost of diesel and that is Bio-Diesel. the soybean farmer sure would see a nice return as well as a boon to the rural economy that supports the industry. .
ahhh......chaplain, i see you have been shirking your duty....the farmers could use a little liquid sunshine....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:35 AM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by desi arnaz
never had these problems with bill clinton
That's about the funniest thing I've read lately.....thanks!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote