Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Stoves: Primus, Optimus, Peak1 etc

I've been told it's a big world full of people with different interests.
So I gotta ask, any stove collectors/fans out there?

I was goofing around with a lousy Coleman 2-burner (it was a gift. The PO had run it on either turpentine or paint thinner

I had zero luck with this - I was kind of relieved actually, but dragged out a small stove we got when a store closed a dozen years ago, and lit it. Granted it's Coleman's take on a backpacking stove, and as dull and industrial as only an MBA could make it. But still, there's something ...

Mrs RedSHED often talks of fond childhood memories involving sitting around campfires. I've none of those, but can conjure up dozens involving a little brass Primus and lonely lakes in the Andes whose names are only pronouncable in Quechua, deserted sections of beach, or motorcycle camping with my parents.

When I got big enough to get off the back of the motorcycle I started bicycling, and mostly used a propane canister. No magic to that of course, it's only the roar or sputter of a classic stove (and the smell of white gas) that brings it all back.

So... 'fess up, who's got a soft spot for brass?
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I've got several of those little backpacking stoves in brass. Svea, Primus, Optimus, etc. I don't think they ever die. I've got a Svea that I may have gotten in about 1965 and I think it works as well today as the day I got it. The only shortcoming is that it has only two operational regines: blowtorch and off. Simmering is not it's strong suit. The silence is just deafening in some wilderness place when you're done cooking / boiling water and finally shut 'er off!

Lots of memories of cooking dinners in remote places with these little guys, sometimes melting snow for water. Just last summer went on a short 25 mile overnight hike with a friend and it was hard not to take one of the "old guys" along. But aging bones and tired muscles won out and the little titanium propane thing made the trip.

But the brass ones have a nostaliga value all their own.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
Yes, I have an Optimus 99 purchased in the mid '70s which has many motorcycle miles on it. The stove's favorite memory is cooking oatmeal one morning while camping in Yellowstone and a moose was wandering around the campground near the ladies restroom. I was watching and being quiet a few yards away, and was very amused by all the people coming out of the facility, walking right past the moose, and never seeing it. The moose was getting edgy and finally started running --- that's when everyone else noticed him.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I have a Svea that I've had for 38 years. I also recently bought a Optimus Nova which simmers just great.
Attached Images

craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I never had a brass stove. My first camping stove was a Coleman Peak that served me very well when I cycled the UK in 1984

After many years of reliable service the Coleman died and I replaced it with a MSR Whisperlite. Several packpacking trips and a cycling trip from Vancouver, BC to Los Angeles, California in 1997, this little stove is still going strong.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
You really need one of everything. I use a WWII "jeep" stove when out on the road. It will burn leaded gas (aviation fuel) without fouling. Car gas now is unleaded and will work in most stoves, but shouldn't be left for long periods since other additives in it decompose and make nasty deposits. I like the old kerosene stoves just because they're difficult.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
When I got big enough to get off the back of the motorcycle I started bicycling, and mostly used a propane canister. No magic to that of course, it's only the roar or sputter of a classic stove (and the smell of white gas) that brings it all back.

So... 'fess up, who's got a soft spot for brass?
I have three stoves. One old Coleman dual burner, One reasonably old MSR XGK II and a MSR Whisperlite.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
No need for the modern stoves, the Svea uses less fuel even if it doesn't simmer as well or bring things to a boil as quick. The Sigg Tourister Cook set really helps and holds all my plates and kitchen utensils. Beside, when I am on vacation I don't need to rush. I just update my backup Svea with a new center stem with the self cleaning feature, use it every year on my motorcycle trips. Kept my original, a 1973, original!

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
Full-timer

1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
Dear Li'l Sis still has & uses my 40-something year-old Svea. I finally gave it up because my backcountry diet consists mainly of rice and I got tired of eating the crunchy black stuff on the bottom of the pot.

Had one o' those butane cartridge deals for a while. It was very convenient except in cold weather or at high altitude. I nicknamed it "The Boss" because you had to sleep with it to get anywhere.

For a decade I used Coleman Peak I & Peak II stoves because they simmered rice nicely and tolerated car gas, which is important when dealing with remote supply sources. After wearing out three of them, I decided to try something more durable.

I now have an MSR Firefly and love the dadgum thing. Simmers beautifully even at altitude in winter, cleans itself most of the time yet is easy to service, uses white or car gas, and runs kerosene / Diesel with a simple jet change. Many of my walkabouts are several months long and cover some of the most remote places still left. It's pretty dang important to be flexible on fuel type.

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Craftsman: yes, I've got an Optimus Nova, too (but a slightly older one with a less-pretty fuel bottle) and it does a pretty good job ... even simmering. And will the built-in magnetic orifice cleaner, it's easy to "maintain." It's good for the rice, etc.

But it doesn't have the nostalgia value of the older ones. And it doesn't roar like a jet engine on afterburner, and it doesn't fit inside the Sigg Tourist cook set.

Oh, well, I guess it's progress, eh?
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Trangia cook set with alcohol stove, works good except during really cold weather. Pretty much fool proof, no moving parts, just add alcohol and light. Warms up fast and then the fire burns from the ring of orifice. Also have a Swiss army surplus version for the Jeep, not as pretty but works the same.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Anyone, know anything about an old Primus 347 marine stove?...I've got on in the basement.

Also have a Precision (Primus) backpacking stove about 30 yrs old that I still use...

Thanx for info on the 347

Bill
Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
If it's a marine stove, it probably burns alcohol-most of them do for safety.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Old 05-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I think it's great that these old stoves still work so well. I just sold my Whisperlite on ebay. I also sold a set of Aluminum Sigg cook pots with lids that I bought in 1970. I don't think that Sigg even makes cookware anymore.The two pots went for $76.55! #120254829447
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fort Collins , Colorado
Svea/optimus

Here is part of my collection. Missing are two SVEA stoves and a coleman backpack stove that the children have commandeered. These stoves have been on both great backpack trips and used for car camping. Hard to estimate the miles these have been carried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	##SVEA  OPTIMUS## 005.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	60419  
kenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Guilty on several counts I have no clue as to how many camping stoves I have...or lanterns None are what I would consider super collectible, but they all work. I believe the oldest I have is a Optimus 8R that is gently used and still has the original box. In lanterns I have one Coleman from the mid 60's still with original box. My favorite lantern is the MilSpec Coleman's from the Korean era. Those things are built like a tank. My first stove was the Svea 123 and it is still alive and kicking. Currently I use the MSR Whisperlite or Simmerlite for my backpacking needs. One stove the I never travel without is my Coleman Dual fuel single burner. It is the one that sits on a lantern tank. The one I have is called a Sportster, it has always been part of my vehicle based emergency kit.

Anybody want to compare tent collections

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I usually head for the nearest Steakhouse. They have really big stoves.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Aaron, I think the stove thread is already intense. Many stoves are used intense. Besides, my tent got stove by the wind!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #19
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
I think it's great that these old stoves still work so well. I just sold my Whisperlite on ebay. I also sold a set of Aluminum Sigg cook pots with lids that I bought in 1970. I don't think that Sigg even makes cookware anymore.The two pots went for $76.55! #120254829447
Yeah-I understand these are collectible...lot's of Brits are into the old stoves. I was trying to determine a value for the 347...in decent (not perfect) condition...

Thanx, Bill