Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
How rigid? I've seen some decorative skirts that could be rolled up for transport, would that suffice or would it have to be something like corrugated sheet metal? I don't suppose there's some easy way of skirting trailers or I'd see more of them. Maybe just too much of a pain to tote something like that around?
Perhaps I shouldn't have made that post. Those numbers were calculated estimates for a single size and weight of trailer. But even if I crunched the numbers, they're still just estimates, and not something you should trust your life to! As the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary;" in this case your windspeed may vary.

The only lesson you should learn from that post is that a curve-sided Airstream will resist a stronger wind that a slab-sided box, and keeping the wind out from under your trailer will let your Airstream resist a stronger wind than if you don't. Period.

If the wind is going to be strong enough to rock your trailer uncomfortably, get out and go somewhere safer before the wind picks up, no matter what you've done to help your trailer. If you try to increase your trailer's resistance to high winds and then foolishly get yourself injured or killed by riding out a storm you should have bugged out for, I will never forgive you.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you try to increase your trailer's resistance to high winds and then foolishly get yourself injured or killed by riding out a storm you should have bugged out for, I will never forgive you.
No worries. Like George Castanza going down the fire escape, knocking people out of the way, I'll be leading the way to safety for everyone else.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't know why people stay in their trailers during a storm- especially after feeling it rocking.
Are they maybe caught off guard or asleep?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Storm causes severe damage at RV park in southern Mississippi

I'm a believer in carrying a weather radio on the road. Mine is one that has the ability to load in the NOAA county codes. Typically before departing I plan out my overnight stops and my destination campground. The Trailer Life guide book lists the county for each campground. The NOAA Internet site lists the codes for each county. I preload those into the radio.

The reason is if you don't use the codes, the warning in the radio will activate for the station coverage area. The station also sends out a code for the specific area. So for example the local station here in St Louis services multiple counties in two states. By using the code for my county, I I only get activation alerts if my county is involved. Without the code, I'd hear all the warnings even if they don't pertain to my location.

When traveling and my unfamiliarity with the locale, a radio with code capability gives me confidence that the warning pertains to me and not a distant area. This keeps,e much more alert to conditions.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote