Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2004, 04:27 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Storing Airstream-Eliminating Pests

We read somewhere about a product called Mouse Out. It is designed to be put in farm equipment that sits for long periods unattended (sounds somewhat like our situation with storing a travel trailer). It is designed to repel, not kill, rodents from the operating cabs and motor area. It sounded like an ideal product for a travel trailer in storage, but we have been unable to locate the manufacturer or a dealer. Anyone got any ideas for a source?

We have been successful with dryer sheets, glue traps, and moth balls. We check the trailer almost every week to make sure we have no uninvited guests. A product like Mouse Out would simplify the storage procedure.

Sam
WBCCI 12557
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:11 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
We have tried fresh cab
http://www.pioneerheritageshoppe.com/airfreshener.htm
We've put 1/2 of the packet in each rear side compartment, so far so good.
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Electrical repellant...

We have been thinking about using an electrical gadget that plugs into a 110 outlet on our AS. Of course you would have to have the rig plugged in while you are storing it for it to work. Our daughter and son-in-law have had excellant results with these gadgets in their house keeping mice out. They supposedly use very high frequency sound to repel rodents and insects. We recently bought a 4-pack at Lowes to see how well they work for spyders in the house. It is too soon to tell for sure. They do not bother cats or dogs but supposedly would bother other types of household pets such as hamsters - if they didn't they probably wouldn't bother mice either.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:45 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminauts
We have tried fresh cab
http://www.pioneerheritageshoppe.com/airfreshener.htm
We've put 1/2 of the packet in each rear side compartment, so far so good.
Aluminauts, thanks for the reply. This looks as if it may be the product we had heard about earlier.

Sam
WBCCI 12557
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Not sure about the herbal things (though must write that I am dubious), but I can say with certainty that the electrical repellents do not work. A friend of mine put one in her barn and we found mice up and exploring the darn thing. Maybe some mice are more sound sensitive than hers, but it really was a big failure.

I think a better strategy would be to cover all gaps in your belly pan. This would mean not only holes in the bottom, but also (tape over?) gaps at the hitch, wheels, step, etc. Our PO had sucess with mothballs, though there are pretty nasty chemicals there. A barn cat is also very good for control, though you will have to feed it! Finally, there are the old fashioned traps, which do work, though it will also kill them.

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Mothballs work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream12557
We have been successful with dryer sheets, glue traps, and moth balls. We check the trailer almost every week to make sure we have no uninvited guests. A product like Mouse Out would simplify the storage procedure.
Sam
WBCCI 12557
I guess it's that sad time of year when many of us need to form a battleplan for mouseproofing our units during winter storage.
There are numerous posts on this topic.
Dryer sheets do not work. See the "BOUNCE" thread.

I have posted this before, but the easiest, least expensive and most effective rodent repellant I have used is a generous sprinkling of good old fashioned mothballs inside the coach and around the tires or anything else that contacts the ground.
Maybe I've just been lucky but the mothball method has never let me down. One nice advantage over traps is no dead and decomposing mice inside the unit.
A spring cleaning is always necessary to eliminate the lingering mothball odor.
It is of course a good idea to pack any openings/gaps with steel wool.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote