Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Stories from the Road

This summer I will "full-time" in a small town on the coast of Newfoundland as we refit an oil rig over several months. One of the close by communities is St Lawrence, where in 1942 the USS Truxton and USS Pollux ran aground in a fierce winter storm. The men who survived stood huddled in the freezing ocean at the base of steep cliffs with no hope until men from the communities of St. Lawrence and Lawn arrived and lowered ropes to pull them to safety. One of the survivors was Lanier Phillips, the only black man to do so. The link below is a heartwarming story of innocence, tragedy, and kindness. The people of that area in that era had no idea people could be anything other than what they saw around them. Mr. Phillips recounts waking up on a stretcher, covered in Bunker C oil, and the women vigorously attempting to scrub his skin back to white! The kindness he was shown over the course of his recovery profoundly changed his life.

Anyways...me and my Airstream are heading down that way in two months. Anyone else have an interesting story from somewhere visited or planning to visit?

Don

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...tuary-312.html
Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
My story

One day, my husband and I were driving down the freeway. He suddenly shouts "Unbelieveable!" while looking in the rear view mirror.
I reply "I know. I can't believe we just bought an Airstream."

True story. Best day ever.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote