Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
The bike

came first for me - an 1100 RT ... and sometimes I travel with it and a light set of luggage. And then the trailer. When trailer shopping, I went through the same thoughts you now have, but I have a house home base, where the toys can live when not in use. The bike tools plus a torque wrench all fit in a pretty small roll down in the bottom of one side case on the bike - outside of a complete engine removal or some such, BMW's got the tool thing narrowed down pretty well.

But, if you're full timing, the choices narrow a lot, and a toy hauler SOB can make a lot of sense. (Plus they've got HUGE tanks!) From all I've seen, however, those big SOBs just aren't as "roadable" as a "Stream." If you're not moving from place to place a lot, no big deal - just pick good weather and go. OTOH, if you go long distances or if you move a lot, I'd sure think twice.

And as someone mentioned, during cold (read: ice) season, the bike will sit a lot of the time. I've got good cold weather gear and the RT's got a good fairing and heated this and that, but I don't go out if there's any chance there's ice. So - what? The bike sits in the "back room" all winter? That's o.k. in my garage, buy you might get tired of it in a trailer about February. Can you leave the bike in a friendly place until warm weather and then go get it and bring it "home"?

Ryanh
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #42
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
I think the Box truck /Chevy or Ford Chasis /Desiel Crewcab(they make em ya know) and pull the Airstream would solve the problems and U would have the best of both worlds. Best of luck to U for what ever u decide. I think someone said it "U would miss your Airsteam and the friendships U have made".
Roger
I can convert the bed of my truck to haul the Motorcycle. It would cost me $2000 to put in different storage boxes and a ladder rack to hold the kayak.

One other factor is I have been in my trailer a year longer than I expected. It is starting to get small. I have no idea how much longer I will be in the trailer. If it looks like I will be in a trailer another year or more I expect to upgrade then at a later time buy a smaller 60s vintage model.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #43

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Hey Michell,

I would do the box truck thing considering the weight of your trailer, nice Isuzu model with a lift gate at the rear so you can get all of your stuff in/out easily.......including the bike! Nice aerodynamic front on the box and decent fuel mileage to boot!

Plus, I've seen a new version of the box with an entry door just aft of the cab that sits lower than the cab and contains a set of easy-entry steps into the box.........I almost opted for one of these myself, but decided to stay with the Sprinter and will be using a mobile workshop trailer that will match the colors of the van for the next FL snowbird season.....way cheaper!!!
I like this idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
The 5-ers do have a lot of space, but I work on these every day and the quality just isn't there with luan interior walls (even in the expensive ones), bonded walls, rubber roof, they seem to find just about every corner to cut when they make one of these.....wih perhaps the exception of the Newmar London Aire 5-er...........you'll hate yourself after a short while!!!
Airstream has not exactly taken all the corners properly. The have cut across the median more than once.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #44

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream
came first for me - an 1100 RT ... and sometimes I travel with it and a light set of luggage. And then the trailer. When trailer shopping, I went through the same thoughts you now have, but I have a house home base, where the toys can live when not in use. The bike tools plus a torque wrench all fit in a pretty small roll down in the bottom of one side case on the bike - outside of a complete engine removal or some such, BMW's got the tool thing narrowed down pretty well.

But, if you're full timing, the choices narrow a lot, and a toy hauler SOB can make a lot of sense. (Plus they've got HUGE tanks!) From all I've seen, however, those big SOBs just aren't as "roadable" as a "Stream." If you're not moving from place to place a lot, no big deal - just pick good weather and go. OTOH, if you go long distances or if you move a lot, I'd sure think twice.
I have put a little over 45,000 miles on my trailer in the last two years. That milage will drop significantly since the price of fuel has gone over $4/gallon for diesel. So a fifth wheel would be more "practical".
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream
And as someone mentioned, during cold (read: ice) season, the bike will sit a lot of the time. I've got good cold weather gear and the RT's got a good fairing and heated this and that, but I don't go out if there's any chance there's ice. So - what? The bike sits in the "back room" all winter? That's o.k. in my garage, buy you might get tired of it in a trailer about February. Can you leave the bike in a friendly place until warm weather and then go get it and bring it "home"?
Ryanh
I do have a place I can store her during the colder weather. I have all the things I need to ride her in cold weather. Lined suit, heated grips and seat..... I have rided her when it is cold doable but not "fun".

Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think I got mixed signals from you as to stopping you from moving towards an SOB.

Northwoods manufacturing is right by you? They make the Arctic Fox don't they? I have to say the recessed AC with ducting, the full size bath tub and ample bath wardrobes, built in generator, thermal windows, extreme weather insulation and being able to take a football team at once on the roof with easy care fiberglass, large square ample cabinets and spaces, and slideouts with great reputation and quality would be appealing. Is there a model toy hauler you have been oggling? Does the interior space suffer appreciatively with space given for the garage?

I think too with your state of flux, and the long cold Montana winter, you have some cabin fever. Do you want to be moving your whole shabang wheeled estate to travel after spending so much time in it in one place for so long? Or do you just want to head out fancy free and light and fleet when you have vacation and good weather? Is the 5th wheel an alternative to a structure on your property, because if you do not travel for work you may be homebound and want all the space you can swing? However if you anticipate moving homebase for work in the future then the comfort of more room now and the security of having a home you can move if necessary is a real benefit.

Anyway, I hope you are feeling pretty good and that your search is going well up there. We would have loved to have had you at the Ohio rally. Or should I say we would have loved to have had the rally by you, Either way it would be great to see you again.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #46

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I think I got mixed signals from you as to stopping you from moving towards an SOB.

Northwoods manufacturing is right by you? They make the Arctic Fox don't they? I have to say the recessed AC with ducting, the full size bath tub and ample bath wardrobes, built in generator, thermal windows, extreme weather insulation and being able to take a football team at once on the roof with easy care fiberglass, large square ample cabinets and spaces, and slideouts with great reputation and quality would be appealing. Is there a model toy hauler you have been oggling? Does the interior space suffer appreciatively with space given for the garage?
Carol,
Yep. Just across the street. The artic fox is the thicker all living space unit. The Desert Fox is the toy hauler. I do like the 38 ft 5th wheel. 30 feet of living space divider and 8 or so feet of "garage". The 30 ft toy hauler and smaller.. the garage and the dining room share space.
Quote:
I think too with your state of flux, and the long cold Montana winter, you have some cabin fever.
I do have cabin fever. It is being aleiviated by being in the hanger and working.
Quote:
Do you want to be moving your whole shabang wheeled estate to travel after spending so much time in it in one place for so long? Or do you just want to head out fancy free and light and fleet when you have vacation and good weather? Is the 5th wheel an alternative to a structure on your property, because if you do not travel for work you may be homebound and want all the space you can swing? However if you anticipate moving homebase for work in the future then the comfort of more room now and the security of having a home you can move if necessary is a real benefit.
Carol,
I am just looking right now. I am hoping to find a permanent home in the northwest and keep the Airstream. If I can't I will seriously be looking at replacing the trailer with a larger one, preferably one that can haul around all my goodies.
Quote:
Anyway, I hope you are feeling pretty good and that your search is going well up there. We would have loved to have had you at the Ohio rally. Or should I say we would have loved to have had the rally by you, Either way it would be great to see you again.
I will be out here for the forseeable future. Come visit!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:12 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I would love a visit in your beautiful area. Besides Orie and Kee Kee need a dose of Auntie Michelle again.

Sounds like you have a lot of great options and with Spring here and Summer around the corner you'll be zipping around on that new motorcycle and having a blast.

photography
Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Michelle

You have some tough choices to make but the most important one is that you feel you have a comfortable and functional home to head to after a long day of work or play. If that means popping the current Airstream to get something more livable then sadly that has to happen. It would appear that the other options of getting a different TV would address your need to have mobile living accommodations and still have "toys", but they don't fill the need for a home that provides adequate room. One's home has to be comfortable, a nest to return to when the world is not being fun anymore, and where you can easily access the things you need without tripping over everything else. Thus although difficult to part ways with the silver bullet, it does make sense. Sadly.

That said, you also have a large community of supporters here who would not want to lose touch with you and hopefully if you do go down the non-Airstream path you continue to participate in the forums and the visits.

You've done the things many of us wish we could do. Hitched up and toured across many States, attended a lot of rallies, been able to visit a number of neat people many of whom you met through the Forums, and made a lot of life long friends - both in person and electronically. Most of this because you got involved with the Airstream and the community that comes with it. I hope that you do find a way to acquire a vintage Airstream soon after you sell this one if that is the final decision. From everything I've read a lot of folks would sorely miss your attendance at Forums functions.

Take care and good luck with your decision process. I'm thankful that I'm not having to make the same decisions.

Barry
Old 05-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Look at Featherlite trailers... Horse Trailers, Car Trailers, Cargo Trailers, Utility Trailers, Car Haulers They are the Best on the market! All aluminum... so it will fit it... trust me! I have one and think it is the best toy.. job trailer ever made!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Michelle did you see this? Airstream PanAmerican: Same Iconic Shape, New Opening | Rvs And Motorhomes Blog & Discussions at Truck Trend Magazine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream-panamerican-trailer.jpg
Views:	1408
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	61203   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream-panamerican-trailer-rear-hatch.jpg
Views:	1398
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	61204  

Name:	airstream-panamerican-trailer-rear-hatch-opened.jpg
Views:	2796
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	61205   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream-panamerican-trailer-interior.jpg
Views:	2076
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	61206  

Name:	airstream-panamerican-trailer-floor-plans.jpg
Views:	1362
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	61207  

photography
Old 05-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #51

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Carol,
I have seen it. They want to much for it.