Old 01-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
St Petersburg , Florida
Tow Vehicle Found

St Pete Police found it this afternoon. Probably out of gas but can't tell yet...dead battery. Theives jammed a special tool through the driver side key hole. The alarm went off, but once the truck was started it apparently shuts off. BTW, the theives must have quickly broke open the sterring column and used a flat head screwdriver to start it because like I said earlier; the Wal Mart manager viewed the security video(only 2min).

I was parked six spaces from the front of the store. I rarely frequent this store.

Oh yeah, nothing was taken except small change.

The only damage appears to be during break in and sterring column. Insurance adjuster comes tommorrow.

The only thing I can think of do do differently would be to leave the truck unlocked with the key in the ignition. This way when police find it, there might not be any damage.

DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Posts: 5,083 about good luck getting it back in good condition and with minimal stuff gone.

Karma to you.

Streaming Soldiers Blog
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Glad to hear you got the truck back.
I would be so mad I couldn't see straight. Talk about feeling violated
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Glad to hear that you have your truck back.

I wish you had owned a GM TV with Onstar, the police would probably have apprehended the thieves while still in your vehicle.
Hi Yo Silver, Away II?
looking for our next AS
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Glad you got your TV back and the damage isn't extensive.

One thing we are told here by the Govt insurance company is that a not too expensive option for vehicles that don't have it is a vehicle immobilizer that won't let the vehicle start unless the actual key is used. My car and truck have them built in.

In addition to that many folks here have the steering wheel locks that are clearly visible to a thief.

Of course all of these can be circumvented, but each thing takes time, so if they see that you have these they are more likely to go find one that is easier to snag.

I detest these people with a passion. I had one of my trucks broken into 5 times in 6 months. Even when I left it unlocked they still punched the locks out because they were too stupid to actually try the door handle first. I left the ashtray (coin collector) open so they could see there was no money to steal and they stole the ashtray. I also left the glove box door open so they could see there was nothing in there either. I carried the insurance papers with me in my briefcase so they wouldn't have my home address and name info, something I always do. Alternately we hide it in the trunk so it's always in the car, particularly if we share the driving. They'd jam a screw driver into the ignition switch on the steering column and snap it out only to realize I had an immobilizer on it, so then it got keyed. I got fed up and sold it. Each incident was a new report to the police and insurance company so I had to pay the first $200 each time. After the second shot I started fixing it myself.

Anyway, very glad you got it back.

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I possible theft attempt happen to my '94 Z-28; steering column shattered by pulling the column casing apart using the turn-signal stalk for leverage - either that or it was a terrorism from a co-worker. Anyway, they did not defeat the key & steering lock... I just went without turn signals for 60,000 miles. The only way I see to be pro-active would be having a silent alarm paged to your cell phone or something similar which could give enough time to notify authorities in time to have responding officers actually see it in action. Once they get thirty feet from vehicle they are as good as immune since no fingerprinting or other forensics will be employed...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #21

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm so happy you got your TV back in relatively short order (but an eternity in any case).

Karma in helplessness.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
more karma

So glad that your truck was recovered. Hopefully that will be good karma for did to me ala my earlier post.
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
No leave unlock, no key in Igniton .Of course U know thats an automatic cancel on your insurance. So Glad U got it back with minamual damage. We work so hard for what we have and it gaulds me when people steal from not only me but anyone. BEST of Luck to U in the comming year
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Great News

So glad you got your truck back, and in pretty good condition.

We had a car stolen in Fresno, Ca a number of years ago and it was recovered the next morning, sans tires and stereo.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Maybe think about installing one of these..?

GPS Tracking Systems | GPS Fleet Auto Tracker Systems by Rocky Mountain Tracking
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #27

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I would like to know about where you parked also. Figuring that I can use the excercise, I have been parking at Wal-Mart way out by the road.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Originally Posted by Ganglin

I've got a buddy who has the Hemi-cuda he bought brand new in 1970 tucked away in his garage. The last time it was driven was when his wife took it to work to show people she worked with and some dude followed her home and was very aggressive about seeing the car. They put it away and have not had it out since (1979) although now that he's retiring this year he intends to "play" with it now and then. Anyway, a couple of years ago his insurance agency determined that they would no longer insure the car unless he put a GPS tracking device on it, which he has done, as well as a couple of other neat cars he's acquired over the years. By doing so his insurance costs actually went down enough to cover about 50% of the annual GPS fee and his own piece of mind went way up so a win-win.

I've been thinking of doing this with my collector cars and the Airstream as well so appreciate the information you provided very much.

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote