Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
Angry Stolen - All Trailer New Owners Manuals

Thieves broke into our 08 F350 PSD last week in our driveway (I am off to have aftermarket theft system installed). Made off with my GPS and other small items but what is most upsetting is they grabbed my Kelty/AS messenger bag off the back floorboard thinking they had scored a laptop etc. I had recently returned from winterizing the trailer and brought back all of the warrantly cards and manuals to review and file at home for safekeeping. Needless to say they were better off in the trailer.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to secure replacement manuals, serial #s etc - I happen to have the AS manual out of the bag and it was not taken but the million other manuals and warranty cards for every appliance etc are probably in a dumpster once the crooks realized they had snatched something worthless to everyone but me. I am going to contact the delaership but thought someone might have run into this problem and could assist. FYI - noticed several threads on thefts and super duties - our F150 had a better deterrent system than the F350 and the thieves knew if they busted the window but did not open a door the alarm would not sound. We were sleeping 30 feet away and heard nothing.

Thanks!

-Erikson
Valhalla2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Oh Ouch!

The manuals can be ordered from the factory - call the Airstream store. Also call your dealer and ask for help .. you never know.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Now that it's too late, thieves look for GPS devices, they are easy to steal, and easier to sell. Also, if you take yours off the windshield, make sure you wipe the little rings off the windshield the suction cups leave, this is what makes thieves think to break into your truck in the first place.
Also, check your local pawn shops for the next several days or weeks, you may luck out and find the GPS. And if you find the GPS, the thieves may have given the pawn shop owner the manuals as well.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
_

. , .
bummer, v'2go !

the dealer should have a copy of the ONE PAGE FORM that has all the serial numbers and model numbers for the key components...

it is titled..

airstream certified performance checkout,

underlined JUST as i've written...

and you should have received the yellow copy, i think...

axles, tires, applicances, frame, door locks, tanks and so on

are listed along with the model and serial numbers for about 14-15 of the main items.

it was a multipage carbon-less copy thing.

once you've secured another copy of this most of the appliance owners manuals are online.

i've slowly made pdf copies of most of them and paper one too...

a/s might be able to send you another paper copy of everything, BUT...

most of those little booklets and especially the warranty cards, came attached TO the given appliance,

that's why it is so easy for them (a/s factory person) to put the book together.

really the entire kit should be on a cd/dvd from the factory.

paper is so 20th century!

i've had several appliances replaced (ac, water pump, water fixtures) and NO vendor has asked for the warranty card info...

the 250 is SUPER EASY to get in....

get an alarm with starter disconnect AND impact alarms and well buried wiring and a remote warn' thing and so on...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
We bought our AS after the Chicago dealership fire. Although the unit was perfectly fine, all the manuals and keys were burned in the fire. The factory was able to reproduce them for us. In the meantime, we found several manuals for the appliances on the web as PDF files. That was a big help as we learned about how to work the appliances.

Good Luck

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
2air's log of the serial #s is all you need. Warranties still apply regardless whether warranty cards were sent in. Ditto the 'work thru your dealer.'

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
Thanks 2air and everyone else for the follow up - I will look through my dealership papers which I dont believe were mixed in with the bag. Thanks Terry also for the pawn shop idea - we live in the city and have our fair share of pawn shops and smart car thieves - I did have a prominent suction cup circle on the window and power cord hanging form the outlet - both screaming "break in to this truck" - lesson learned. You could now eat off the inside of my truck and pick up nothing. Thanks again for the suggestions - happy trails!
Valhalla2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Did you report the theft to the police? My car was broken into and a fabric briefcase was stolen from behind the seat. The thief threw it on the side of the road when they realized it was not a laptop but contained cub scout manuals and leader notebooks. The police picked up the case and I picked it up at the police station. Maybe you would be that lucky as well.

Sorry, no advice on theft deterrent except don't keep anything in sight of a passing thief.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Buy manuals here. I just checked the model years, looks as the manuals are for older models. Glad they are there, sorry wasn't much help.

Airstream :: Store
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote