Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Stars & Stripes!

Andy, the flag you sent made this such a wonderful day. I cannot even find the words to express what I am feeling. This had been what those of use with spinal injuries would call a bad day. What I turn around when I opened the package. The fact that you took the time and trouble to send such a wonderfull gift has me searching for words that just don't seem to come to me, thank you!

To any forum member reading this and wondering what I am babling about I would like to tell you. Understand that Andy did not have any idea that I would say thank you to him in the forum, but I would like others to know.

I called Inland about getting a pair of axels for the camel (my AS). During our dicussions I mentioned that I would ask some stupid questions but that I wanted to be sure I could do this project myself and that I am a bit disabled. Andy asked what my disability was so I mentioned to him that I had several spinal problems that several surgeon had done a fine job of fixing what they could. Andy asked how that happened and I mentioned that I just had a couple of bad jumps on my second tour wht the 82nd Airborne Division. I am not a combat hero. In the Airborne a few get hurt and worse in the normal course of maintaining the combat readiness of the division. It is something that we accept, and to be honest - assume it will happen to someone else. One time I got to be one of the statistics, it happens.

Andy mentioned that there would be something coming with my shocks as "thank you for my service". What he sent literally brought some tears to my eyes. I am even having trouble writing this message with the emotion I feel.

What Andy sent me was an American Flag that was flown over the Arizona Memorial on December 7, 2006. This was accompanied by his certificate and the memorial coin. I am sure that flag and what it symbolizes meant a great deal to Andy, and he sent it to me. I know from reading many of the posts that there are some of you out there that understand what I am feeling as I write this.

I'll write Andy a personal letter of thanks, but I would like everyone to know how he made this day a good day for me. From this old Sergeant; Thank you Andy!
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Sergeant,
Great letter, thanks for sharing it with us.
Thank you for your service and sacrifice. You say that you don't consider yourself a hero, and I'll accept your word on that, but you continue to pay and serve because of your service back then. Thank you.
Andy, Thanks for your support of our veterans.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
what a fine and deserved tribute. i disagree about the not being a hero, though. my dad served in the korean conflict and even though he was blessed in not receiving injuries, he is still a Hero! any member of our armed services is a hero. i can't begin to thank you for the sacrifices you have made for all of the rest of us. you have endured many years of pain and suffering, just so the rest of Americans can live in a free and wonderful country. i am honored to be a member of the same forum site such a fine person would be on. this is such a caring and great bunch of people and i have no doubt that we all honor you. and, thanks, andy for your generous and loving gift. you helped us out on the phone just last week and again i thank you! God bless you both, as well as all of our past and present servicemen and women!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote