Old 05-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
Craftsman

Spray-In Bed Liners

Does any one have aspray-in bed liner for their pick-up, and what's the general opinion compared to the traditional drop in liner?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I have a line x liner and love it. I would never go back to drop in liner. They make noise, move around, take off paint on bed, allow dirt and sand and water to get underneath the liner. Inferior product to the spray on. Line X has a rough, coarse finish, very durable. Rhino is nice also, a little softer than the Line X. Both are good ones though. I paid approximately $400 to have my truck done here in Atlanta. The factories should install this on the trucks as an option. They are missing the boat on that revenue. Just my opinion.

Old 05-27-2004, 12:26 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Do it - do it now!

We've had both and there is NO comparison - spray on is much better. I actaully had a drop in liner blow out of my truck bed on the interstate... The bed liner was many years old and the fasteners had weakened over time - cracked and the thing let go at 60 mph.

Be sure you have a spray-in done by an experienced installer and have it wrap the top of the edge rail - you tend to slide stuff over the edge.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Line-X is what I have and it is great. Keep in mind that whoever preps your bed can make a huge difference.

I just saw a segment about Line-X on TV the other night. The company has discoverd that their product helps in keeping metal from flying all over the place when a car gets bombed in Iraq. This stuff is now getting sprayed on autos and buildings to help reduce injuries.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I was all set to buy a spray liner, but went with a Bedrug liner instead. They are not for everyone, and not for every use, but for the way I use my truck, it really is nice. Oil and gas resistant, fully washable. And if I buy the same kind of truck again, I can just take it out and move it over.

Of the spray liners, the concensus I got was that Line-X makes a marginally better product, but apparently the quality of the installation matters more than the choice between any of the top brands.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedrug1.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	6857  
Old 05-27-2004, 05:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Get a Line-X. You won't regret it. I just had them do my new truck last month. I can't say enough good things about their spray-on liner.

Years ago I had a drop-in liner. Water would somehow get under it, and that caused the truck bed to rust.

- Charlie
Old 05-27-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
There is another spray in liner it is called Rihno. It looks and works great I was only able to cut it once. I slipped with a chain saw and it bearly nicked the stuff.

I have had both Line-X and Rihno and they are both great. The real difference between the two will be who does the work.
Check to see how they do it. Scope out some of their work. Make sure they remove all hardware (hold downs, screws...) then reinstall them when done, check to see their parting lines on their mask job. It should be sharp but not cut, it will rust if cut.
Locally we can get a full size pick up done for about $365.00 for either brand.
Good Luck
Old 05-27-2004, 07:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Hey, what's going on with this Line-X suff and all you Airstream guys?

I have to admit to being a 'Streamer- Line-Xer too!

I had a couple trucks with drop in liners before getting Line-X put in 4 years ago right after getting a new F250. The guys who did mine did a really top notch job, and I would never consider not having a spray-in (and don't have any reason not to get Line-X again) on any trucks I might buy in the future.

I also had a heavy duty rubber mat put on top on the Line-X on the inside of my tail gate, which is much easier on the kneees when crawling in the back of my truck bed.

You can't see the Line-X in this picture of my truck (with my 30' Classic Ltd) - but here we are:

I have a Ford F250 PSD 4x4, A.R.E. cap, custom silver fender flares, Line-X bed liner, Hauler aluminum ladder rack (over the cap) which is not on in this picture, but you can see the brackets for the rack just beneath the side of the cap, Enkay mudflaps, plus a few other add ons.

John
Old 05-30-2004, 04:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have Line-X and really like it. I compared the Rhino Linings to Line-X on a number of vehicles and found that the Rhino Linings has a slight rubbery feel and looks a little more like cottage cheese. Since I thought I might be shoveling mulch out of the back of my truck, I had the Line-X sprayed in. If this were not the case, I might have tried Rhino Linings for a little more grip on loads. Both of these products do not let loads shift around alot like the Zibart spray-in done on my '92 Z71.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 05:56 PM   #10
Craftsman

Thanks for all the advise. It looks like Line-X wins hands down.
JACK
Old 05-31-2004, 12:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Line-X

I had a line-x done in Olympia WA 2 years ago. It started to bubble in the corners. I took it back and they fixed the bubbles and gave me a free under coat job for my trouble. I have been pleased with the liner.
Phil
Old 05-31-2004, 11:50 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Line-X - wonderful. Great place in Marble Falls, TX to have done.

Have SnugTop on bed as well, and lifting side doors (windows) make a huge difference. Not so tuff on the knees now since I can reach in from the side.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:04 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

i had line-x sprayed on the running boards of the 38 woody and am having it sprayed on the runningboards of the 47 suburban this week. works great and wears great. do you think it could be sprayer on the inside of the outer skin of the AS to cut out water leaks in the 13 pannel bubble??? roger n cindy
Old 06-01-2004, 10:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
roger and cindy,
I can't answer your question but wanted to comment that I have heard of a number of people in my hometown of Corpus Christi, TX. have had the underside of the mowing deck of riding lawnmowers sprayed with either Ziebart or Line-X to prevent moisture from rusting through the deck.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote