Old 09-09-2007, 07:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Chemical sprays and foggers will only work on spiders by direct contact. The thing to remember is that spiders don't groom like other insects. So they are not going to ingest any chemical application unless it's on their food source.

According to my bug guy in Florida where I lived on the water and had big (small cat) size spiders, the best way to minimize them was to keep the area clear of food (bugs) and to be dilligent about knocking down their webs. Closing up any access will also help as well so look for any openings you can caulk up.

The state of the art in bug work is to put down a barrier around your home to keep bugs out. Spiders will leave when the food source stops coming to visit.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I went out to check on the CCD the other day... opened the door and found a BIG black widow in her web just inside the door. Makes me wonder how many others there are inside the Airstream. I've read this entire thread, and would like to hear from others who have used chemical foggers. It seems to me this is the only way to get insecticide into all the nooks and crannies black widows love. I wonder if a fogger isn't a bit too much for the small volume of a 22' CCD. Any feedback? Suggestions? Living where I do, black widows are a fact of life, but I'd sure like to keep them out of the trailer!

wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:04 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
creeps me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr View Post
I went out to check on the CCD the other day... opened the door and found a BIG black widow in her web just inside the door. Makes me wonder how many others there are inside the Airstream. I've read this entire thread, and would like to hear from others who have used chemical foggers. It seems to me this is the only way to get insecticide into all the nooks and crannies black widows love. I wonder if a fogger isn't a bit too much for the small volume of a 22' CCD. Any feedback? Suggestions? Living where I do, black widows are a fact of life, but I'd sure like to keep them out of the trailer!
That story just about creeps me out.......I, too, want to know how to keep them out...black widows.....or any spiders for that matter....not sure how to eliminate their food source....what are they eating? pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:42 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet Spiders in Argosy

Turn off the gas, place a fogger inside and close the windows....Let it set for a couple of days....This never hurt the finishes on the inside of my AS...Make sure to wipe down EVERY surface and remove the fogger....This should get rid of your pests....Worked for me everytime!!! I had my baby stored in Arkansas for 5 years---rodents, spiders, and snakes---the fogger took care of everything!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
You are kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeynstein View Post
Turn off the gas, place a fogger inside and close the windows....Let it set for a couple of days....This never hurt the finishes on the inside of my AS...Make sure to wipe down EVERY surface and remove the fogger....This should get rid of your pests....Worked for me everytime!!! I had my baby stored in Arkansas for 5 years---rodents, spiders, and snakes---the fogger took care of everything!!!
Snakes? Oh, man................pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #34
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It's nature. Work with it, don't fight it.

I'm with the "natural" remedies: hedge apples, and keeping things scrupulously clean are the only two I've seen here. Are there others?

We already have way too many toxic and semi-toxic chemicals around us now and we really don't know enough about them to say "spray everything".

Keeping things extra clean, wiping in those dusty corners you rarely (if ever) do, taking out mats, bedding, curtains, mattresses and what have you and beating the heck out of them out of doors frequently: all this will make your TT a nicer place to live in.

I don't think that cleaning with a very mild bleach and water solution in the back of cabinets, drawers, and shelves will hurt much of anything, and has the added bonus of reducing the "trailer breath" that most TTs gain with time.

By cleaning, you will reduce the reason the spiders are there: they find food in your TT.

Personally, I don't mind spiders. Up here at least they never get too big, and I'm not aware of any of them biting, but the real reason is I know that they are doing their job: getting rid of tiny mites and things I do NOT want to know about.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #35
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer1 View Post
Hello Bob,The Argosy was parked on pavement while in storage.It's now in a c/g on the grass w/a little gravel.I read some where on the forums 'bout Bounce sheets,Imay try that & Ortho?....Brian
Hey Brian, I used to have problems with black widows (and I don't mean the human type - LOL ). I use the Bounce sheets and haven't had a spider problem since. I replace them twice a year.

R/
rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I'll try a fogger, followed by the Bounce sheets. If I kill what's already in the trailer, I'm hoping the Bounce sheets will keep any more "widows" out.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck View Post
That's what us southern people call Horse Appples
That's right y'all!

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Spiders in my Argosy

Greetings all!

Have been reading through all of the posts from the beginning of this thread. I didn't notice much mention of one of the most difficult to control of the dangerous spiders found in North America -- the Brown Recluse. Having been bitten two different times by one of these nasty little spiders, I can attest to the danger of their bites.

The Brown Recluse -- a small spider with a BIG bite.

We have fought these spiders in our home for the better part of twenty years. Most pesticides will work only if they are sprayed directly on the brown recluse. The brown recluse are scavengers in that they prefer dead insects to living so they are a bit different than the typical web building spiders -- they are most active at night when they do their foraging -- for whatever reason, they seem to favor the bedrooms and bathrooms in our house. These spiders seems to be present almost anywhere in the continental US (lower 48) as thier favorite habitat is in the home either in a clothes closet or hidden in the basement floor joists -- they have also been known to be found in packing crates for merchandise (we purchased a new artificial Christmas tree a few years back an there was a brown recluse in the bottom of the box).

Each of my bites have been the result of brown recluses that had found their way into a shirt or bath robe in my closet. Over the years, our pest exterminator has tried everything to eliminate the brown recluse -- and only two things have proven effective -- one is a very strong chemical compound only available to professional exterminators -- it is a powder that has crystalline formations that are like walking in broken glass to the spider forming abrasions through which the poison can enter. What is available to consumers, and for us, has been at least as effective as the very toxic insecticide that our exterminator applies are specialized glue traps. One good source for these traps as well as the first aid kits for application following a bite is brown-recluse.com.

I had never discovered a Brown Recluse in my Airstream or Argosy until this past summer. I found a brown recluse in the corner of my wardrobe closet during my pre-season cleaning -- I am now placing glue traps in their most likely hiding places in both of my coaches -- they don't seem to be discouraged by Bounce, moth balls, moth crystals, aromatic cedar, 0or any of the other means often thought of as discouraging to spiders.

Since being bitten by these spiders, I have spoken to a number of other victims, and it seems that their venom is much worse for some individuals than others. From my inquiries, it seems like those who are susceptible to developing sunburn easily also are very sensitive to the Brown Recluse venom -- two of my friends three friends who have suffered more severe reactions to the venom have been easy sunburn victims as am I. For me, the venom causes extreme swelling and blistering of the bite area along with fever, nausea, and dizziness. It is well worth the effort to learn to recognize these spiders as their bites can be quite unpleasant.

Kevin

P.S. -- For those planning to attend the WBCCI International in Madison Wisconsin -- the Brown Recluse is found in Southern Wisconsin -- my second Brown Recluse bite was while living in Livingston, WI -- about 60 miles West of the International Rally site.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Brown recluse spiders are the worst problem here, they are truly everywhere. I find them indoors all the time, and in my storage sheds, etc, and kill them when I see them but they are very good at hiding. Foggers are about the only thing that works indoors. I have tried the spider traps and never caught a one, even tho I know they are here. Just be careful when you stick your hand into things that have been stored a long time, and when you take your trailer out of storage, empty the closets and clean, vacuum and spray thoroughly especially in all the hidden places. They love buildings and places that aren't disturbed often, like your Airstream in winter.

Also, in the DID YOU KNOW column, enemies of brown recluse spiders are cob spiders and also mud daubers, which paralyze the spiders and put them in their "constructions" as food for the hatching larva. Interesting. I never kill mud daubers.

We see lots of black widows here, but seldom indooras. They are usually in woodpiles, piles of bricks, rocks, old stumps, etc.

I have been bitten by a brown recluse so I know how that hurts. Not a pleasant thing at all. The bite took about a month to heal, and I still have a sunken scar from the necrosis.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Ah, the dreaded fiddleback(brown recluse) or brownie as we call em in our house. Regular spraying is key to controlling the brown recluse. It is almost impossible to spray the actual spiders where they hide. You must spray regularly in order to get rid of their food source. The glue traps are the best way to catch the spiders themselves. Other helpful hints are: keep clutter in closets to an absolute minimum, pull beds away from the wall a few inches, spray and place glue traps around/next to feet of beds, avoid stacking wood next to house, avoid/get rid of cardboard/paper piles and just generally keep the house clean and free of clutter..

Heinlein
Old 12-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Just an interesting note on brown recluses. I at one time did a great deal of research on the brownies and came upon an interesting study that I believe was conducted at the University of Iowa. They took a brown recluse a black widow and another insect and placed them in a small geranium box. Upon arriving the next day they found the brown recluse missing a leg and the black widow and the insect gone. Brownies are bad, bbbbbad, bbbbad, bad to the bone.

Heinlein
Old 12-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Dislike Spiders and their webs

Spiders dislike rubbing alcohol the first aid antiseptic. And yes the Bounce sheets. Aria