Old 06-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW
OK, I'm stupid. What are hedge apples? Anything like road apples?!?!?
That's what us southern people call Horse Appples

Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
We use Raid foggers with good success, both on the 310 and on previous MH's. The fog gets into all the crevices and works on many different types of insects. Be sure to open all internal doors, drawers, cabinet doors, etc. And TURN OFF ALL PILOT LIGHTS before using!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Thanks Marvin, thats just what I needed to hear. Its just too creep, I try not to think about it. Robin, i would be glad to pay the postage, I will take 4 please. Moth balls I have heard also, will also work for snakes. My grandmother use to keep them in the wood pile. I always hated the smell, dont think I want the Silver Watermelon smelling like mothballs, eeewww!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:29 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Hey guys,thanks for all the ideas I got some Bounce sheets,placed 10 at different areas.'Bout ran me out .Hope my nose can take "Bounce" better than itty bitty spider nose's! Do spiders have noses? I know they don't need glasses with all their eyes! Anyway,I'll try some moth balls round the OUTSIDE too.See what happens next.....Brian
Old 06-14-2007, 05:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I don't know, someone told me if you head far enough north, you Canadians don't have many spiders to speak of. That's my solution, head for Canada!
I will have to admit, I seen more spiders when I lived in Florida and Arizona than I do here.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
They are ready now

Reference the Bois de arc "fruit" used as insect/rodent repellant. They are in full production right now. Any country road here in north Texas has them growing along the fence lines.
Tammy....you still want some? I have 'em in a box for you.

Ref. Canoestream photo...#6 post.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
We use Raid foggers with good success, both on the 310 and on previous MH's. The fog gets into all the crevices and works on many different types of insects. Be sure to open all internal doors, drawers, cabinet doors, etc. And TURN OFF ALL PILOT LIGHTS before using!

Susan
We've used the Raid fogger cans for years with great success!!..we protect all surfaces with tarps and newspapers, then set the can up...we do this about 3-5 days before we take the safari out on a trip..the next day, we just vaccum all over..little dead insects are taken out!..the fogger has kept rats, spiders, ants, spiders and other bugs out of the trailer!..
Old 09-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Guys and Gals I'm not beating a dead horse but no need for tarps and covers in your AS or chemicals that permiate into whatever. One or two hedge apples in an under cabinet place will do the job. And you cant smell them.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:11 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertro
Guys and Gals I'm not beating a dead horse but no need for tarps and covers in your AS or chemicals that permiate into whatever. One or two hedge apples in an under cabinet place will do the job. And you cant smell them.
I agree with bertro. Hedge Apples do work. I avoid the chemicals whenever possible, there are too many other ways to shorten our lifespan.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Those are the fruit of the Osage Orange tree. Some old timers refer to it as a Bodart tree, but it's still an Osage Orange. Animals don't eat them so there is probably some truth to the theory that they repel. Worth a try. I put Sevin around my Argosy wheels and anything that touches the ground. I use the powder kind and haven't had any problems with it parked down at the lake.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Thnx for the info..never heard of the Osage orange tree or hedge apple..I see it grows in Oklahoma and Texas..might have to see if CA has that..
Osage-orange

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Osage-orange
Osage-orange foliage and fruit
The Osage-orange (Maclura pomifera) is a plant in the mulberry family Moraceae. It is also known as Osage-apple, mock orange, hedge-apple, horse-apple, hedge ball, bois d'arc, bodark (mainly in Oklahoma and Texas), and bow wood. Common slang terms for it include monkey brain, monkey ball, monkey orange, and brain fruit due to its brainlike appearance.
The species is dioeceous, with male and female flowers on different plants. It is a small deciduous tree or large shrub, typically growing to 8-15 m tall. The fruit, a syncarp of achenes, is roughly spherical, but bumpy, and 7-15 cm in diameter, and it is filled with a sticky white latex sap. In fall, its color turns a bright yellow-green and it has a faint odor similar to that of oranges.[1]

Recent research suggests that elemol, one of the major components of oil extracted from fruit of Osage orange, shows promise as a mosquito repellent with similar activity to DEET in contact and residual repellency.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Well, I have often called some spiders our "pets" ~ when we lived in the central valley of California they were everywhere! No way to get rid of them. Food rich environment. (Lots of bugs) We have some spiders here in Northern California, but not as bad. We have the Orkin guy come and spray at our house. When we asked him about the spiders, he said there really isn't something that will rid your spiders completely.... but killing their food source will get rid of them. He said our spiders would move to our neighbors if they don't spray for bugs.... But, no matter what the reason, since he has been spraying regularly we don't have as many bugs, and don't have so many spiders either.

Good luck. I hate bugs, spiders, ants, and snakes.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 09-09-2007, 01:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
There GREEEEEAT !

Spiders R GREAT..., they EAT all the nasties from all those little nooks 'n crannies, 'corse they can b a little over powerin sometimes, they live in Your things, like this n that & AIRSTREAMS..., Travel all over the place with You, bumin rides on Yr Vacation...n all they do is keep the place CLEAN.... besides I realy DO like SPIDERS... but I could'nt eat a whole one.... Did You know the average Guy eats 8 spiders a year whilst asleep in bed... ( Hee Hee ) now U know why You wake up some mornins NOT hungry...Chris.....
Old 09-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #28
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
I noticed that no one mentioned how long the "hedge apples" last. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month ?

Would like to know.

R/
S-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote