Old 11-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Spartan kept me awake

I have turned the corner on my son's and mine 1960 airstream and I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I am looking forward to finishing. Two trailer restorations and I am ready for a break. To my surprise my son who is on a camping trip calls me yesterday to inform me he has stumbled on to a Spartan Royal Mansion and the owner wants to sell. My son says it has no leaks and it is clean on the outside and inside (He sent me pics). It is a classic and the price is better then just great. My son may make an offer on this trailer and if the guy takes it we will have another vintage trailer come into the family. I told my boy I cannot keep it at our house. I should have given him all the reasons he should not buy it. You don't have time to work on it, we can't keep it at the house, We need to finish this 1960, and it is to big. I didn't because there is a part of me that wants to see it as part of the collection.

This has kept me awake all night. It is 2:26 A.M. and I am looking at Spartan restorations on the internet. I could keep it on property I own until the 1960 is done. Do I really want to get involved in another restoration? I saw pics and I wish I did not. This vintage RV stuff is addicting.

I have already planned a third but I was thinking of a much smaller airstream, which is newer in years. I was thinking three total in the family so My son, daughter and my wife and we could all camp together.

What has me going on this thing is the birch looks great. My wife and I have done many restoration furniture pieces over the years. I know we could make that Birch look awesome. I have also learned how to polish these trailers. It is the other stuff that you don't see that has me worried.

OK time to see if I can get some shut eye.

Brian & Adrienne
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Frankly, there's nothing else like a Spartan. While there are better trailers in re road performance and the rest, this is the one that still sets the standard for mobile living.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
I would consider it Karma and add it to your collection. What it someone else buys it and does not realize what it takes to renovate her and bring her back to life? You know what it takes. Do it.
Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds.
2vets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Birch.....birch.....birch......gotta love the birch!! Waiting for the pictures cause you know you're getting it!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
The addicts eternal struggle...I too was casually looking (just our of curiosity of course) for a 16 footer, maybe a Clipper, and instead I set off tomorrow on a 5k trip to get a mansion sized total rebuild project. And the worst part is I'm still just checking online adds for the Clipper.....
1960 Sovereign 33' Pacific Railroad Custom
truckasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote