Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
I would have bought that trailer for the stove alone. Love it!
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Would everyone believe that we got the trailer for free? It was just sitting in someones yard under a tree. It makes me wonder how many others are just sitting out in the boonies somewhere not loved. My husband and I went in and took the stove out today. I need to get it insured. The full size home versions of that stove go for 4K to 13K$$. I do have another question. Who does everyone recommend for insurance. I have called a few of the big companies, and they pretty much laughed at me. I am not discouraged by any of it though, and from everyones comments on this site, I am even more happy and excited. For us, since we don't know that much about trailers...it looks pretty bad. My husband and i are big do it yourselfers though. We have done alot of work on all our homes, and we rebuilt a bayliner boat...that we also found. Thank you so much to all of you.
terrytrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:51 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the info Ken J. It helps a ton to find all these sites.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Don't let anyone laugh at you - you have a great find there - its rare to find one with a decent interior - and a good stove and its rare to find one with the original paint scheme on the outside. Check out the pictures of my restoration and what I started out with at http://www.airforums.com/forum...er+restoration
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I love the "quilted" trim! The stove is also really sweet. You actually seem to have a an ok paint job (though it definitely needs cleaning) and it does seem to have a really solid hitch. It appears that the bottom has a covering (belly pan), so probably the rest of the frame is ok. Judging from what you wrote on vintage trailer club, you may have a bit of work fighting rot, but bear in mind, you will come out ok. If you attack it preemptively, you will end up spending a bit of money, but you'll end up with an RV that works as well as a new one, but costs less and has a whole lot more style.

Probably the best way to see what's up is to start disassembling, starting from the insides. Most things in these kinds of trailers are usually screwed down (although you may find rivets as well). It's a good thing to disassemble, if only to discover what lies underneath and to replace any rusting screws. The main thing is to carefully bag (we use those snack sized ziplock bags) and label all the itty bitty little parts. Then you have a basis for reassembly. The other good thing--when you pull apart the walls and floors (you'll do what you need to do in an exploratory way), you can remove any rodent remnants (unfortunately, almost inevitable) and replace bad insulation. The result will be a cleaner, better smelling trailer.

Canned hams are cool little trailers! Many of them have amazing (often birch) wood interiors. We've found getting involved with other vintage trailer owners is very motivating. Two groups you may want to look into are Tin Can Tourists (for any kind of vintage trailer) and (if you don't mind leaving your hubby behind) Sisters on the Fly . Craig Dorsey (Vintage Vacations ) is in the process of moving to your area--every year (except this one, because of the move) he sponsors a vintage rally--so it is something you can work towards next year!

I hope all of the stuff folks round here write leaves you psyched to get working on the trailer (we love our airstreams, but we're not chauvanists!). It's a true pearl in the rough, but it is a great gem!

Mary
Old 05-22-2005, 07:06 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
What a cutie!

You definately have a find of a lifetime there......

Our story is the reverse of yours, we started out looking for trailers like yours, but specificly Shastas and got sidetracked into the Airstream world.

Congrats and Happy camping!

Barb
Barbara Peerenboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Everyone is so wonderful. It seems like trailering is a word all of its own. I put a new pic of somesort of fixture in my photo album here....can someone tell me what it is? Heater of somesort?
Old 05-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Its a propane gas lamp. Do you have the glass shade ?
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

No, we dont have the shade. Is that type of light still safe to use once it's all cleaned up?
Old 05-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #30
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Its a propane gas lamp. Do you have the glass shade ?

I might have one.....
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Yes, It is still safe to use, as long as it has no leaks in the piping. I had two in my last trlr. The lamp will also double as a heat source. When I used my gas lamp, I rarely had to use the furnace. Just make sure you have a vent or window cracked a bit. Its the same precaution as with other gas appliances.

One other note, I did have to clean the orafice to get mine to work properly. They are a very simple design.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #32

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
By the time you're ready to stay in it, I recommend that you find places to install modern safety features, - a CO detector, an LP detector and a smoke detector. An important upgrade for vintage trailers. I was able to install all three fairly inobtrusively.

As for insurance, we have all our insurance through state farm already, so when I went to them with a vintage trailer they were happy to add it to the policy. I think having our cars and house with them already made it go smoother. We've found they are not the cheapest, but they take good care of their good customers.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:12 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Brett, I would be curious to see what the shade looks like.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:18 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Good Idea Steph, I hadn't thought of those things for my Caravel. More stuff to add to the list.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
There are two companies that still make propane lamps (Falks and Humphrey). I 'm not certain if the parts are interchangeable (especially mantles)--you may or may not be able to use these replacement globes (if Brett can't supply) and mantles.

One thing to bear in mind is to consider that it will probably be cheaper to replace that lamp than to restore it. It appears to need quite a bit of rechroming, which is costly.

http://www.gas-lights.com/interior.html

Mary
Old 05-23-2005, 07:57 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Probably the best way to see what's up is to start disassembling, starting from the insides. Most things in these kinds of trailers are usually screwed down (although you may find rivets as well). It's a good thing to disassemble, if only to discover what lies underneath and to replace any rusting screws. The main thing is to carefully bag (we use those snack sized ziplock bags) and label all the itty bitty little parts. Then you have a basis for reassembly. The other good thing--when you pull apart the walls and floors (you'll do what you need to do in an exploratory way), you can remove any rodent remnants (unfortunately, almost inevitable) and replace bad insulation. The result will be a cleaner, better smelling trailer.
Mary
Great trailer! I would have taken it for that wonderful mint green stove too! Mary has some great advice - I have the whole interior out of my '67 Safari too and in addition to carefully labled baggies I also have a chronological log book with sketches and a ton of digital photos. Once you've taken it apart it's really hard to remember what it once looked like! Good luck with it and keep us updated on your progress! Diane
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:29 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

THat's a great idea to keep a log book. I wouldn't have thought of that. I have taken and will continue to take pictures. A log book would be a great addition. Our weather here has been so crummy, we haven't been able to do anything but go in and take those pics. This week is supposed to be nice, hopefully we'll be able to get something accomplished. I am a little cautious though. There is quite a bit of nasty mold inside. We will have to wear some masks so we don't breath it in. It's still a few months off, but we are planning on attending the vintage trailer rally held in Aug. up by Bellingham Washington. Would love to meet everyone.