Old 05-09-2004, 04:38 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
John - I remember a project that Norm did on "this old house" a few years back. They installed what was basically your standard sectioned overhead door, but on the front of it they applied a wooden facade that looked like the old wooden carriage house doors they were trying to replicate.

They looked just like the old style doors when closed, but you hit the button on the opener and they rolled up just like the modern ones. Each panel was fronted separately, so it still hinged at the right places.

I don't remember the details of how they did it, but I got the impression they were built to be used this way - you might check with the various door companies and see if they make these.

HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #16
Site Team
, Minnesota
Garage door

Here are some ideas. I'm sure you could split the doors in the middle to make them swing. I just think they look nice.

Also, I have a single door hinge you can have if it matches the others. It's a refigerator door hinge from an ice cream truck. Brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garage door 001.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	6496   Click image for larger version

Name:	garage door.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	6497  

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:09 AM   #17
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin

i have seen the doors you describe and remember that episode of this old house. my only problem is head room, the ceiling is about 7 feet, if i went with roll up doors i'd be banging my head on them!

don, thanks for the offer on the hinge. i would just need to find about eleven more just like it. there is a medium duty truck dismantler near me. perhaps i could find some just like it on a schwanns truck. they certainly look heavy duty!

craig, thanks for the compliment!

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:28 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Our old barn has doors which hang from wheeled rollers on a heavy metal track. If you have enough room, the doors (and these are heavy ones) slide to the side where they are out of the way. Even the horse's doors slide from these upper tracks, and dont take much energy to push to the side. They are not fixed on the bottom. In a bad wind there are simple latches on the side to keep the doors flapping. It was built in 76. silver suz and no pics are not possible yet, but will be in another week or too.!!!
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:26 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Here's a photo from a garage door website for some more ideas.
Attached Images

Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote