Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
Since joining this forum, I have come to regard fellow members as "un-met friends". And those few I have met "in the flesh"..have proved that point in spades. So, I have no doubt that Gayland and Elle Faye would not be anything less than that.

When we hear of something happening to a member, we all rally together to share the feelings. Be they good or ill. Someone's trailer is stolen, we are all eyes on the search. An accident always receives a comunal "OUCH!" But when something happens to a member themselves, it's always a community wide sigh.

The power of love here is what I have come to cherish. And I'm sure Gayland can feel us with or without logging on or answering a phone or e-mail. That said, Sherry and I have them all in our thoughts and prayers, as well as all our "un-met friends".

Dan and Sherry Whitmore
strmstr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Jim:

Thanks for the update - wish it could have been better news though. Bless their hearts - Gayland and Ella Faye just don't seem to be able to catch a break right now - or as you said, when it rains it pours. Sorry to hear that Gayland is having trouble with the pain meds and is in the hospital and poor E.F. breaking her foot and Aunt Kitty falling! Wow! That's a lot to take even when you're not facing a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.

We are praying and will check in on them in a day or two.

Please continue to keep us informed.
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Crosby , Texas
Here is a man that is bigger than the state that he calls home. His heart is as BIG AS TEXAS. I have had the joy of parking next to are across the street from him at the last 3 Texas Ventage Rallies and this man has a love for poeple and their Airstreams. He is a winner what ever the out come maybe. God Bless you Gayland.
dghaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Corpus Christi , Texas
Just saw this and we wish Gayland & Ella the best and a fast recovery. Thoughts and prayers are with you........
Old 08-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Bump!

Gayland's radiation begins the 27th or 28th of this month at Baylor Medical in Dallas. He's having a real problem getting his pain under control & has been unable to eat much. But he is determined to win this fight. Family & friends are moving his Airstream to Dallas to be their soft spot home during the upcoming 6 weeks of treatment.

Please do continue to keep Gayland & Ella Faye in your thoughts & prayers.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The worst kind of illness taught me that if a man can sleep -- and retains an appetite -- that pain can be dealt with. Problem is that it takes a great deal of time to adjust mentally & spiritually. There is no easy road.

My continued best wishes.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #27
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
At least they will have the comfort of their "home away from home" while he goes through treatment. We'll be praying for you over here in Tennessee.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #28
Grandma - still learning

2000 27' Safari
Austin , Texas
Thinking of You, Gayland

We heard you have wi-fi in your temporary home away from home so may you feel "lifted up" everyday by all your A/S buddies on-line.

Remember He cannot remove the storm but can give us more Faith to fly through it.......Hugs to Ella Faye.
bajamist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Mikethefixit said "Its a rough time and they need all the support and prayers we can offer. Thanks for the update. We hate to see a fellow STREAMER down."

Roger & Mary Lou - I know Gayland is on the Forums when he's feeling up to it, and I know he'll appreciate your kind words. But you need to know, Gayland is ANYTHING but "down"!! His attitude is absolutely excellent, he's looking at this as just another of life's fights that has to be fought & won. And if there is anyone on the face of this earth that has the desire & determination to win, it's Gayland.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

Sorry to read this thread about Gayland.... although we have never met it appears he is a great person to know and I hope we get the opportunity some day! We all need to learn to live each day to the fullest as we never know what is coming... we could be wiped out on the freeway tomorrow! Airstreamers are such great folks, it is nice to see all the kind thoughts here!

So, Gayland if you are reading this thread, or if someone prints out all the responses and mails it to you ~ keep up the good fight and hang in there! Other Airstreamers want to see you on the road again!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #31
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I spoke to Gayland this morning for nearly a half-hour. He was up early because he felt better than he has felt for weeks. He has some nausea from the chemo and he is not eating very well, but he feels that he is improving. A blood clot in his leg has caused quite a bit of pain, by he said that is improving as well.

Gayland and Ella Faye are living in their Airstream east of Dallas for the duration of his treatment. Folks have been staying there a week at a time to drive them (Ella Faye broke her right foot, so neither can drive at the moment). I will be going up the 20th to spend a week with them.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thank you for the update, John.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As a half-century Dallasite, my wife and I believe that SANDY LAKE RV PARK has the best overall access to D-FW due to the confluence of the Bush Turnpike and I-35 Stemmons; if a change in location is desired. My doctors were all at Presbyterian Hospital, and we would travel the Bush to the Dallas North Tollway:

To 8200 Walnut Hill (via Tollroad, Royal Lane, Preston Rd, Walnut Hill)
from: 1915 Sandy Lake Rd, Carrollton, TX 75006-3401 (Sandy Lake RV & MH Park) - Google Maps

TRADERS VILLAGE would be worth investigating for access to Methodist Hospital. Baylor Hospital would be easiest from Sandy Lake (distance is not the problem so much as traffic and type.)

To 3550 Gaston Ave (via Tollroad, Woodall Rogers, Gaston)
from: 1915 Sandy Lake Rd, Carrollton, TX 75006-3401 (Sandy Lake RV & MH Park) - Google Maps

There are a number of good restaurants in the area of Baylor or Presbyterian; all price ranges where value and $ spent meet well. PM for any recommendations. The only thing out east are the usual poor chain restaurants.

Gayland, for what it is worth, your hometown is one where I kept an AM radio button permanently set to your local station; I knew I was well away from the hustle as I traveled US-281 to college more than thirty years ago . . and I would be stopping in Marble Falls for pie and coffee (just as I'd already done at Hico at the Koffee Kup).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #34
Contributing Member

Gayland is at Plantation Place RV park in Sunnyvale. That, and Baylor Medical Center are on the east side of the city.

All recent reports indicate that he is doing well. Phone calls are preferred over visits since his immune system is compromised.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Gayland.... Hope that you are feeling better. When I think of Texas I always think of you and Ella Faye. You both represent all that is good about Texas. Our thoughts and prayers are with you both. Looking forward to seeing you again when we get back to Texas in late Oct. ... Best always Annie and Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #36
Contributing Member

A sad time

Sadly, I must report that Gayland Stephens died at about 10:30 last night (Oct 20) at the hospital in Hamilton, Texas. Gayland survived the initial terminal diagnosis of pancreatic cancer by well over two years.

Gayland was pronounced cancer-free over a year ago and was again able to attend many rallies and was having a vintage Airstream restored. Cancer reappeared in his lungs about 6 months ago. Several months ago, cancer treatment was discontinued because of his deteriorating condition.

Services will probably be held this coming Sunday.

No one who knew Gayland will ever forget him. I first met him five or six years ago and we formed an instant bond. I feel I have lost my best friend.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
Sorry to hear. My condolences.

I assume you mean last night Oct 20?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #38
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermybaby View Post
Sorry to hear. My condolences.

I assume you mean last night Oct 20?
Yes, Oct 20. My fingers do not always go where my head commands.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I'm sorry to hear this. I had many long phone conversations with Gayland before finally meeting him at the Texas Vintage Rally a few years back. I am sad that I will not be able to attend his service since I am out of the republic till next month.

Rest in peace Gayland...you were a character we all loved.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks for letting us know John...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote