Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Solar Panel Owners: Solar Eclipse Warning!!!

You no doubt are following the Solar Eclipse Thread on this Off Topic Forum.

Total Solar Eclipse- August 21, 2017 by nvestysly, a Wyoming Boondocking Survivor

Do not look directly at your Solar Panels during the Eclipse. You may be tempted, but avoid direct eye contact.

IF you must, put a paper sack over your head with two cutouts for your eyes to view your Solar Panel(s). You will stand out in a crowd of Solar Eclipse viewers in Wyoming. Ignore these peasants.

Enjoy your Wyoming Solar Eclipse! You missed the 1869 and the 1878... do not miss this one if at all possible.

Oh... Thalweg will provide the Paper Sacks for observing your Solar Panels.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

.... also ... resist the temptation to drink a case of beer first, "just in case this is the end of the world" .. been there / done that - hangover is still an issue.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Solar Panel Efficiency Drops when surface is HOT (?)

Uncle Bob... Blue Moon Belgian White would be... appropriate.

For those who managed to understand this Thread was a slight Spoof on the Solar Eclipse... there was something on the radio that did get my attention. It cannot be Fake News, as I heard it on the... radio.

Solar Panel efficiency drops when the surface temperature of the panels... increase.

Especially when you see these large Solar Power Panel plants south of Boulder City, Nevada in the 100F to 120F air temperature ranges. Then in a Basin... the heat must be, exceptional.

Has anyone heard a disclaimer or can verify this as being true? Not that I want to 'fry eggs' on a solar panel, but if this is true... what kind of drop is found at increasing surface temperatures?
Old 06-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
You no doubt are following the Solar Eclipse Thread on this Off Topic Forum.

Total Solar Eclipse- August 21, 2017 by nvestysly, a Wyoming Boondocking Survivor

Do not look directly at your Solar Panels during the Eclipse. You may be tempted, but avoid direct eye contact.

IF you must, put a paper sack over your head with two cutouts for your eyes to view your Solar Panel(s). You will stand out in a crowd of Solar Eclipse viewers in Wyoming. Ignore these peasants.

Enjoy your Wyoming Solar Eclipse! You missed the 1869 and the 1878... do not miss this one if at all possible.

Oh... Thalweg will provide the Paper Sacks for observing your Solar Panels.
Will plastic WalMart sacks work? Paper sacks are getting hard to find.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Don't forget to accessorize it with a tinfoil hat.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I won't be watching the Wyoming Eclipse. I will be watching the Idaho Eclipse.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I won't be watching the Wyoming Eclipse. I will be watching the Idaho Eclipse.
Where did you find an opening in the Forest to watch anything in Idaho?

Thalweg and I tried to find a high point near DuBois, Wyoming last year. We found the 'high point'... but no place flat enough to park a trailer. It also was raining/sleeting, at the time and in... mid August, during a drought.

At the DuBois, Wyoming campsite in August 17th, 2016 it not only rained, it snowed, sleeted and you could not see the Sun. So... in a way it was a Poor Man's Total Solar Eclipse... preview of possibilities.

Sure... we will have our Paper Sacks ready and flashlights. If we guess wrong and are camped in Wyoming while it is raining, sleeting and snowing... we will use Thalweg's Plastic Walmart Bags, instead.

Check the weather about 35 minutes before you plan to stop in Wyoming for a viewing... Idaho, as well. As the Climate can Change in 60 minutes at some spots in the Rockies.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Uncle Bob-

Where does a guy with 600 posts get off telling us not to drink beer?

Ok, a case is excessive, but some of us like our beer.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Be careful of the Beer one may want to drain one end of a bottle. Especially during a Stellar / Lunar rare event that could be mistaken as an annual event. You may see the Stars, but only in your sleep.

I discovered, although I liked the bite and flavor of IPA and double IPA beer, that IPA beer interfered with my... SLEEP. Almost like caffeine, but in a sneaky way... not expected.

So I must sample those beers I can find that offer that... bite ... but do not come with a tail and a mouth full of teeth.

The Beer Cutoff for making Beer Opinions is 599 posts on the Airforums. Uncle Bob has been busy the last 24 hours. My posting on the Airforums would have better suited me had I remained quiet after... the 599th.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:44 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Uncle Bob-

Where does a guy with 600 posts get off telling us not to drink beer?

Ok, a case is excessive, but some of us like our beer.

Hi

Actually a better measure of beer is the keg. Stumbling over all those bottles in a crowed trailer when blinded by viewing an eclipse is such a hazard ...

Still looking for a gas fired chest freezer to convert into a keg cooler ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I like those who save money and not having to recycle.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1...-_image006.jpg
Old 06-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Beam me up Scotty there's no intelligent life down here

I am ready for the Eclipse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eclipse glasses.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	288250  
Old 06-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Moonshine and Sunshine in Wyoming / Idaho

Most ignore predictions of bad things occurring during Solar Eclipses.

The Inca, Sun God Inti, could not predict Eclipses and when angered... produced a Solar Eclipse to show his anger towards... well, Airstreams. They, these early models, shined like the moon at night. The driver of the Airstream was required to fast after an eclipse. Soon after the eclipse, it still remains customary, that the 'Leader of the Airstream Eclipse, Lumatic, provide food and refreshments to those attending the spectacle.

The Moon is the Wife of Inti, the Sun to the Incas.

Moonshine and Sunshine to those participating in this event in Wyoming, and Idaho.

Now... you know the rest of the story. If it is not true, may the clouds be thick and the snow deeper than half of your 16 inch Michelin tires.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
eclips

I think you guys are making this up as you go. I've been to Idaho and montana and they weren't nearly as humerous as you are. joqin in Minnesnowda
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Lions, tigers and bears... oh my!

My relatives left Minnesota in the 1880's to western Montana (Flathead Lake), following the lumber mills. They brought with them their Swedish Accent, but the Minnesnowda lumberman's attitude that was needed in those days... which kept everyone friendly, after hours waiting for an eclipse, or two. The bear in Minnesota were all tamed and the GRIZZ... needed some taming in Montana.

I can still do the accent at will and appear to be a local in Kalispell or Somers, Montana. Wisconsin and Minnesota natives know what I mean... don' you?

April 19, 2017 an Asteroid the size of one or more football fields, passed just a bit over one million miles from Earth and this gets no bumper sticker to celebrate... nor advance news of this 'Special Event'. Although if you missed it, this asteroid or some call a mini planet is to return for another 'close encounter of the fourth kind'. The BOOMdocking experience.

I found no one wanting to put this... event... on the local news, nor did someone promote a stampede to go camping in Wyoming, Idaho to some... to even check out if the mathematics were off a million miles, plus or minus. Some small speck moving through the constellations is much too small to worry about... isn't it?

Well... this Eclipse could be the biggest event this Summer... but ask the Dinosaurs at the end of the Cretaceous Period if they had any paper sacks or buckets to put over their heads?

This is the Off Topic Forum. Give it a shot some of you bystanders. If this Eclipse is not exciting enough... give it time... there are a few things moving through space that.. just might.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Blue Moon and the Lunar Eclipse Hoedown

OK... all of you tin foiled hat wearing non believers... this IS REAL.

Blue Moon Belgian White beer has a promotion. You purchase two 12 packs for, in our case, Boulder City, Nevada price $21.98 at Albertson's grocery. If you do not have an Albertson's, you could be S.O.L., but maybe different stores may be doing this currently.

Read the small notice about the rebate. We noticed it on the shelf. They have you photograph with your cell phone, your receipt, that you actually bought two 12 packs. Their telephone number is given at the point of purchase, where the 12 packs are found. Find the telephone number. Call that number and type... earned. You will get a response on your phone. (Just follow their directions. My wife did it while I was putting beer into our refrigerator...

They will then put $20 into your Pay Pal account.

They say it is their: MillerCoors Albertson's Anniversary KM Rebate.

My email said KM Rebates. If you do not have a Pay Pal account, you get an email address to open one. It said it would take two to three days... it took less than 60 minutes.

Took the windfall and bought another two 12 packs, as they were on sale. I like it better than Miller or Coors and not an IPA that keeps me awake at night. Or if it doesn't, maybe it is my wife, but non the less... this is a good deal.

If you can handle a 12 pack, which I am asleep after three beers... you may see the Lunar Eclipse in your basement on your HDTV and not even leave town. Now... that is a DEAL.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Well... my wife checked back and either, Blue Moon exceeded all expectations and the Eclipsed Blue Moon rebate is past its 2 minutes 10 seconds... or so many Moonies have applied that the promotion was ditched.

So again... Fake News is rampant and I will drink one on that last comment.
10 minute later update:

Update.... not Fake News. Offer is good until August 18th or until the shelves are cleared of the... limited supply.

Although I did 'drink one on that last comment', Blue Moon beer and Ice Cream just do not hit the spot. Be aware of that.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Richboro , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Blue Moon beer and Ice Cream just do not hit the spot. Be aware of that.
Well, you did get a few 12-packs. Keep trying, and report back on the master combo, please. There aren't too many days left before the eclipse!
gwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:25 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Eclipse Craziness

Well we happen to be in the path of totality and everyone is going nuts. First most of the campgrounds are booked full with 3 night minimum stays at the state parks. All the of local hotels and motels are booked up around town with many charging 3x the normal daily rate.

Then the authorities are telling us that all available officers are working that day. They are telling everyone to have extra food at home, full tanks of gas and do not drive while the eclipse is happening. All the television stations will be on the air with special programming beginning at noon. Our time of totality in the southwestern portion of St. Louis County will be about 1 minute fourteen seconds. About 35 miles south and west of us it will be a 2 minutes 40 seconds which will be the max.

They are telling us if you are heading for the areas south of us, leave in the morning since they feel the traffic will back up on the highways. The highway patrol will be not allow anyone to stop on the shoulders of the highway and some highways are expecting over 100,000 cars traveling over them in the period of 8 hours prior and after the eclipse. They expect the worst traffic will be after the eclipse as every one tries to get back home.

Now we are beginning to get news announcements that the various school districts are cancelling classes for that day. They are also telling folks to check on elderly people, cell phone towers may get overloaded, and if you need emergency services, good luck because emergency vehicles may get bottle necked in the traffic jams on the highways.

Now we hear there are non certified viewing glasses being sold so everyone is now worried about this.

This reminds me of several years ago when St. Louis hosted a visit from Pope John Paul. Apparently the pope had visited Denver earlier and brought the city into gridlock because of all the people lining the roads. So St. Louis went nuts and the media warned everyone about gridlocked traffic. Businesses closed, schools were canceled and we were all prepared for chaos. Well all of that brought about so much fear that everyone stayed home (except for the convention center which had over 100,000 people in it to hear the pope speak). I had helped the local law enforcement agencies set up a communication center where we had maps, cameras, officers muster and ready to be dispatched, etc. It was a riot as we watched live camera feeds from all along the pope's route downtown to see no one on the streets, with scattered outcroppings of one or two rows of people standing on the streets. Other than the venue itself nobody ventured out of their homes. The news folks had effectively scared everyone enough about the potential chaos on the streets that nobody came out. The pope is in his car with nobody to wave to as he's riding down abandoned streets.

Our luck it will probably end up cloudy .......

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote