Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2006, 06:56 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
So why should I buy an Airstream?

October 2004, my wife said that she would like to see some of the rest of the country, also that she would like to see it via a travel trailer. We had owned a few SOBs and they lasted a while but were very suseptible to water damage and required constant attemtion for new forming leaks. We visited several travel trailer dealers and looked at new units of every brand. The Jayco and the Sunney Brook appeared to be about the best build out there. A couple of dealers into this trek I started asking better questions as I found that the rubber roofs that were being installed now only had a life expectancy of about 10 to 12 years and would cost a minimum of $1200.00 to replace. It seems that the sun rots them. I was also told that if I hauled these trailers 6 to 10 thousand miles a year that in 10 years they would not be worth reroofing as they would be spent even if there were absolutely no leaks. I then started asking the question, what travel trailer is the most durable, water resistant, least depreciating outthere. Without exception every salesman said Airstream.
I found a 52 airstream at a hunting camp that had been parked there twenty years with minimal care and when I went in it, it was dusty, not musty and was dry. It had been raining for a week. Remember, if the roof is not flat then the water will run off, not in.
As much as I would hate to see one of the older units up on blocks as this one was(he would not part with it) according to what I have seen on this site and others on the web, the airstream would be your best investment. Of course prudent inspection is required because there are damaged units out there, but if you can find a good one, and the inspection criteria is listed on this site, it will last for decades with minimum care.
I bought my 1984 Excella with my wifes approval last April and with minimal repairs and adjustments (it is after all 22 years old) enjoyed it last year.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Well much to the chagrin of some of you I did end up buying a 31' 1979 International. I worked on it for a month before I took it up north. I caulked more in a month than I have my whole life. I blew foam insulation in every crack and hold I could find. I tightly fastened up any loose belly pan I could find. I mouse-proofed it as much as I could (though I still have a big vulnerabililty with the slots for the pull out step). I plan on getting a roof built over it (with no sides) to protect from the rain and snow.

I liked the old RV idea the best for an instant camp for several reasons. One I could just plot it down (after a month of repairs) and have heat AC, hot water, shower, etc.

Two, the site has no power. With the AS I only need to run my generator long enough to run the well pump to fill the fresh water tank and to recharge my battery. I can heat the place all night with the propane furnace and 12V.

Three propane refer which still works (cold food, no generator).

And four, since I decided to go with an RV, why not go with the best.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #43
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Kudos Man

I never saw this thread untill today or I would have responded earlier.
I'm surprised at how surly some of us got when you even mentioned a Jayco.
In defense of all the Jaycos (and their ilk) they wouldn't be in business if many, many people didn't find them to have good value.
That said, it seems like you are the sort of person who is willing to do a little research before you go plunking down your hard earned cash on a big ticket item like a camper. I'm pleased to see that your research lead you to the same conclusion I did. ie, though I can recognize the value of other brands Airstreams, despite their higher cost are still a Better value.
Mine sits out in a field 365 days a year. I move it about 50 feet three times a summer to mow under/around it. It does NOT leak, despite similar snowloads here in MN. No mice, no pernicious smells, no streaked, peeling and rotting wood like was in my old camper.
Mine too is a base camp for hunting, fishing, tractoring, 4 wheeling and the like.
Had it for 3 years now and every time I go up to the lake I'm very greatfull to be the man who has the key to it.
Congratulations on your purchase.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote