1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Please, DON'T buy an Airstream.

Old 03-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacnstac
For example I have found several Jayco campers of 1994 vintage with much nicer and updated interior trim for about the same price I'd pay for a 1975 AS if I'm lucky.
That alone should answer your question about Airstreams since we are not talking about new but used.

VALUE!

QUALITY!

LONGEVITY!

Interesting you are not comparing SOB (Jayco or Some Other Brand) of 1975 vintage with a 1975 Airstream. Most likely you cannot find 1975 SOBs. Airstreams are not overpriced. They are priced to what someone is willing to pay for them. Obviously much more valuable than a Jayco.

Structurally the Airstream is better than any other square box trailer in existance. My 1971 Airstream trailer did not leak under very heavy Minnesota snow loads and there was no "roof" needing maintenance. To answer the question about what trailer one would want if you had your pick just to sit 365 days per year in extreme weather the answer would be Airstream.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
I've owned a used stickie I use for a hunting cabin. Every Spring I put roof cement on the flat roof, and in Fall, after hunting season, I wrapped the roof in one of those blue plastic tie-down and Duct tape "tarps". It doesn't leak as yet, we don't have much snow in Virginia, so snow loading is no problem. But, if you have three feet of snow a year, that's a lot of weight. I lived in Minnesota years ago, and I've seen several garages that caved in due to snow loading.
regards
Old 03-18-2006, 07:43 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
I find it strange that you would come to an Airstream forum to announce your preferrence fo Jayco products or to ask forum members here to evaluate them. May I suggest, groups.yahoo.com/group/Jayco or www.jayco.com-----------Pieman
I never said I had a preference for Jayco just looking for an honest opinion from you good folks. Didn't mean for anybody to get their panties in a bunch. Thank you to those who were honest without the smart alec comments.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
I never said I had a preference for Jayco just looking for an honest opinion from you good folks. Didn't mean for anybody to get their panties in a bunch. Thank you to those who were honest without the smart alec comments.
"I find AS to be overpriced in my opinion"---"I have found several Jayco campers of 1994 vintage with much nicer interior trim". " I just made a call on a 71 Tradewind. They want $8500 for it!!!"
These are your words from your post !!!! Personally I don't think you're so naive as to think this wouldn't bring a responce you call, " bunching panties" or "smart alec".
It appears that you got the responce you went looking for in your original post.------Pieman
Old 03-19-2006, 08:41 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Well I would think the people on these forums would agree that $8500 for an good but not excellent condition 1971 Tradewind is ridiculous.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Well I would think the people on these forums would agree that $8500 for an good but not excellent condition 1971 Tradewind is ridiculous.
I suppose that's what comes from thinking !!!!!----pieman
Old 03-19-2006, 12:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Our dealer was heading out yesterday afternoon to pick up a trailer he had delivered several years ago to a ranch in NM. The owners had finished building their house (or whatever) and were done with it. He said he does this a lot and Airstreams are especially popular in CO because the curved metal roofs eliminate the snow buildup better.
-KL
Old 03-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Yes Silverback, that's one reason I got into looking at Airstreams amoung others is their snow shedding ability. I'm going to look at one this afternoon. Wish me luck.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Yes, but I hate to agree with you on this one. I just sold a 1971 Tradewind for considerably less. I have seen them go for sale on eBay for as much as $11,000 with nothing special about them.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:49 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Depending on region of the country and what is available at the time, people are willing to pay various prices for various sizes and conditions. Sometimes the smaller the trail the more expensive. The smaller vintage airstreams are mores sought after.

I'm sorry that you feel you are being attacked for asking your questions here....but since it is an airstream forum.....well.... we are very dedicated and addicted to aluminum. We bought them for a reason, people by Jayco for some reason too. But we don't really get that reason...if we did...we would all own Jaycos. We can be passionate at times because some of us have invested quite a great deal of time and money into our trailers. For us it like comparing a Reliant K to a vintage Thunderbird.

As far as pricing goes you might look here to find the range you may expect to pay for various conditions and sizes.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #40
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
for us it is like comparing a Reliant K to a vintage Thunderbird..
uber i agree completely.......

...are you in the reliant k car club too?

cheers
2air'
Old 03-27-2006, 07:56 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
So why should I buy an Airstream?

October 2004, my wife said that she would like to see some of the rest of the country, also that she would like to see it via a travel trailer. We had owned a few SOBs and they lasted a while but were very suseptible to water damage and required constant attemtion for new forming leaks. We visited several travel trailer dealers and looked at new units of every brand. The Jayco and the Sunney Brook appeared to be about the best build out there. A couple of dealers into this trek I started asking better questions as I found that the rubber roofs that were being installed now only had a life expectancy of about 10 to 12 years and would cost a minimum of $1200.00 to replace. It seems that the sun rots them. I was also told that if I hauled these trailers 6 to 10 thousand miles a year that in 10 years they would not be worth reroofing as they would be spent even if there were absolutely no leaks. I then started asking the question, what travel trailer is the most durable, water resistant, least depreciating outthere. Without exception every salesman said Airstream.
I found a 52 airstream at a hunting camp that had been parked there twenty years with minimal care and when I went in it, it was dusty, not musty and was dry. It had been raining for a week. Remember, if the roof is not flat then the water will run off, not in.
As much as I would hate to see one of the older units up on blocks as this one was(he would not part with it) according to what I have seen on this site and others on the web, the airstream would be your best investment. Of course prudent inspection is required because there are damaged units out there, but if you can find a good one, and the inspection criteria is listed on this site, it will last for decades with minimum care.
I bought my 1984 Excella with my wifes approval last April and with minimal repairs and adjustments (it is after all 22 years old) enjoyed it last year.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Well much to the chagrin of some of you I did end up buying a 31' 1979 International. I worked on it for a month before I took it up north. I caulked more in a month than I have my whole life. I blew foam insulation in every crack and hold I could find. I tightly fastened up any loose belly pan I could find. I mouse-proofed it as much as I could (though I still have a big vulnerabililty with the slots for the pull out step). I plan on getting a roof built over it (with no sides) to protect from the rain and snow.

I liked the old RV idea the best for an instant camp for several reasons. One I could just plot it down (after a month of repairs) and have heat AC, hot water, shower, etc.

Two, the site has no power. With the AS I only need to run my generator long enough to run the well pump to fill the fresh water tank and to recharge my battery. I can heat the place all night with the propane furnace and 12V.

Three propane refer which still works (cold food, no generator).

And four, since I decided to go with an RV, why not go with the best.