Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #21
_

. , .
for airstream you need not apply........

hi wacnstac.......welcome

we all love de silver tubes here......

and some day every nation and family will have one (clouds clear from sky, trumpets play, white doves launch)

wac n stac .......hmmmmmmm

anyway, i see nothing in your post to suggest why you need an airstream....

or how it would serve your purpose well....

they are travel trailers.....not planters....

the hvac, water, electric, windows, a/c, wall, insulation, furnishing, galley, head, bed....and so on, are all nice systems......

and built with travel in mind...they are compromises as lightweight, small, mobile systems....

without knowing more about your location, access, and facilities....

i'd suggest getting a quonset hut, or stick built park model (thor makes some)

or well depreciated construction basecamp trailer......

yes, an old airstream...well sealed, with an intact roof, seems and belly pan, can withstand years of empty ness.....in all weather, and then be revived for travel and towing.......

using one in a remote site, or leaving it stocked for occasional use......

is an, expensive, terrible waste of a travel trailer.....and if used, it will still need care, maintenace, seam sealing, varmin proofing, protection from vandals...and so on.

and the axle system and tires and brakes do what in your intended use?

besides most wanting to protect the airstream investment...would want a concrete slab under it and a roof over it....in that remote site....

there are on so many wiser, less costly, attractive, functional options for a rural mountain cabin/hut/way station.....

step away from the silver tubes......they ain't what you need......

google the term quonset hut.......dat's what you need......

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Airstreams are GREAT

but not for how you want to use one. Airstreams are designed for someone like me who's going to TRAVEL and put 5K to 15K per year on the ROAD.

I agree with 2Airishuman..... get a quonset hut, yurt, repo'd double wide or single wide park model. You'll be happier and if something bad does happen to it, you'll be out a heck of a lot less money.

Tin Lizzie

PS: Airstreams can be destroyed by falling trees, fire, mudslides, etc...... just like SOB's. If you want a cabin in the woods, you don't need an Airstream.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:17 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Well I have a few more requirements to meet. Zoning laws prevent a single wide Park model. For it to be legal it has to be a permanent double wide. I cannot afford a double wide. I do not have the time or money to build a cabin. A trailer would essentially allow me to move in with heat, water, (I have a well), septic, etc.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacnstac
Well I have a few more requirements to meet. Zoning laws prevent a single wide Park model. For it to be legal it has to be a permanent double wide. I cannot afford a double wide. I do not have the time or money to build a cabin. A trailer would essentially allow me to move in with heat, water, (I have a well), septic, etc.
Have you looked at the site I posted with the yurts? These are considered a permanent structure and will very likely withstand your winter snow loads. A friend set up his 24' yurt, with the help of a few friends, over a weekend not including the base on which it was placed and the plumbing rough ins and electrical wiring). They're really pretty cool structures and are cheaper than a good used Airstream. I really don't think a trailer is going to serve you well for what you want to do.

Cheers!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Looks interesting but how secure would it be? Seems like somebody could cut their way in with a utility knife.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:33 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
North Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
No, I'm not looking for somebody to just agree with me, I'm looking for some honest advice as to whether the AS will handle weather outside 365 days per year better than a stikie.

Yes. Now go buy one.

Stephen
stephen.s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
[quote=wacnstac I am finding AS to be overpriced in many cases in my opinion. For example I have found several Jayco campers of 1994 vintage with much nicer and updated interior trim for about the same price I'd pay for a 1975 AS if I'm lucky. Do the Jayco have more of a tendency to leak/break/ etc than AS? Are the flat roofs on these Jayco's one solid piece of metal with the exception of holes for vent, etc?[/quote]

I find it strange that you would come to an Airstream forum to announce your preferrence fo Jayco products or to ask forum members here to evaluate them. May I suggest, groups.yahoo.com/group/Jayco or www.jayco.com-----------Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Looks interesting but how secure would it be? Seems like somebody could cut their way in with a utility knife.
What recreational home is totally secure while the owner is absent? Whether it be a utility knife or crowbar, anyonewho wants in badly enough, will get in. Sadly, that's the society we live in.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Please, DON'T buy an Airstream.
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:54 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
For example I have found several Jayco campers of 1994 vintage with much nicer and updated interior trim for about the same price I'd pay for a 1975 AS if I'm lucky.
That alone should answer your question about Airstreams since we are not talking about new but used.

VALUE!

QUALITY!

LONGEVITY!

Interesting you are not comparing SOB (Jayco or Some Other Brand) of 1975 vintage with a 1975 Airstream. Most likely you cannot find 1975 SOBs. Airstreams are not overpriced. They are priced to what someone is willing to pay for them. Obviously much more valuable than a Jayco.

Structurally the Airstream is better than any other square box trailer in existance. My 1971 Airstream trailer did not leak under very heavy Minnesota snow loads and there was no "roof" needing maintenance. To answer the question about what trailer one would want if you had your pick just to sit 365 days per year in extreme weather the answer would be Airstream.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
I've owned a used stickie I use for a hunting cabin. Every Spring I put roof cement on the flat roof, and in Fall, after hunting season, I wrapped the roof in one of those blue plastic tie-down and Duct tape "tarps". It doesn't leak as yet, we don't have much snow in Virginia, so snow loading is no problem. But, if you have three feet of snow a year, that's a lot of weight. I lived in Minnesota years ago, and I've seen several garages that caved in due to snow loading.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
I find it strange that you would come to an Airstream forum to announce your preferrence fo Jayco products or to ask forum members here to evaluate them. May I suggest, groups.yahoo.com/group/Jayco or www.jayco.com-----------Pieman
I never said I had a preference for Jayco just looking for an honest opinion from you good folks. Didn't mean for anybody to get their panties in a bunch. Thank you to those who were honest without the smart alec comments.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
I never said I had a preference for Jayco just looking for an honest opinion from you good folks. Didn't mean for anybody to get their panties in a bunch. Thank you to those who were honest without the smart alec comments.
"I find AS to be overpriced in my opinion"---"I have found several Jayco campers of 1994 vintage with much nicer interior trim". " I just made a call on a 71 Tradewind. They want $8500 for it!!!"
These are your words from your post !!!! Personally I don't think you're so naive as to think this wouldn't bring a responce you call, " bunching panties" or "smart alec".
It appears that you got the responce you went looking for in your original post.------Pieman
Old 03-19-2006, 07:41 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Well I would think the people on these forums would agree that $8500 for an good but not excellent condition 1971 Tradewind is ridiculous.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Well I would think the people on these forums would agree that $8500 for an good but not excellent condition 1971 Tradewind is ridiculous.
I suppose that's what comes from thinking !!!!!----pieman
Old 03-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Our dealer was heading out yesterday afternoon to pick up a trailer he had delivered several years ago to a ranch in NM. The owners had finished building their house (or whatever) and were done with it. He said he does this a lot and Airstreams are especially popular in CO because the curved metal roofs eliminate the snow buildup better.
-KL
Old 03-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Yes Silverback, that's one reason I got into looking at Airstreams amoung others is their snow shedding ability. I'm going to look at one this afternoon. Wish me luck.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Yes, but I hate to agree with you on this one. I just sold a 1971 Tradewind for considerably less. I have seen them go for sale on eBay for as much as $11,000 with nothing special about them.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Depending on region of the country and what is available at the time, people are willing to pay various prices for various sizes and conditions. Sometimes the smaller the trail the more expensive. The smaller vintage airstreams are mores sought after.

I'm sorry that you feel you are being attacked for asking your questions here....but since it is an airstream forum.....well.... we are very dedicated and addicted to aluminum. We bought them for a reason, people by Jayco for some reason too. But we don't really get that reason...if we did...we would all own Jaycos. We can be passionate at times because some of us have invested quite a great deal of time and money into our trailers. For us it like comparing a Reliant K to a vintage Thunderbird.

As far as pricing goes you might look here to find the range you may expect to pay for various conditions and sizes.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #40
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
for us it is like comparing a Reliant K to a vintage Thunderbird..
uber i agree completely.......

...are you in the reliant k car club too?

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote