Old 03-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In the end you yourself will have to justify the cost. Yes it is more, but it is a really great coach. Is it worth the price? Maybe not, but you won't find many folks that have an Airstream that would trade to a stick built RV.

My family still has their 1982 Jayco 24' Jay Gull. Of course it wasn't used for about 15 years while it sat in a barn. But we now take it out at least once a year and it's in great shape (after cleaning, re-packing bearings and tire replacement).

I will say this, the roof coating on our Jayco has been done 2x. I know of several Airstreams that neither have a roof coating nor do they leak or need a roof coating.

I will also say that I've been to several recent RV shows and our older Jayco is far better built than any newer Jayco I have seen...as a matter of fact our 24 year old Jayco is better built than most RVs you find today and has better overall quality.

The Airstream, though it too has it's faults is on par with the interior solid feel of that old Jayco we still have. You don't find that kind of feeling in many of the coaches today, unless you start to get upwards of $100k mohos...... Don't know what I'm talking about? Take a walk into a newer RV at the price points you're thinking about. Notice how it creaks and the floor will felx? Notice some of the cheap interiors. Now walk in an Airstream (new or old) and there you'll find where some of that extra $$ went. I always get a kick out of the threads that ask for reasons why one should get an Airstream. I also love to hear folks walk away from an Airstream at an RV show and say "you gotta be kidding me", go out and buy a new stick trailer, and come back in 5-10 years looking for another one. That test I mentioned will help you see some reasons.

Airstreams aren't perfect, but a bad day with an Airstream still beats a great day with SOB, and I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford one and would continue to own one, every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Wink Some other Brands

Hello All.. We sold our restored 75 26' Argosy this winter and purchased a 2000 28' 5th wheel made by Cardinal.. has 2 slides and we love it.. the interior detail is perfect.. and we have had one other Sob and 3 other A/S.. BUT we have Aluminiitis.. for Argosys and we purchased another one 8 days after we sold the 75.. this is a 79 30' with rear wraparound windows.. and it will be our trailer for touring North America when we are fully retired... Annie... we find we enjoy the extra room in the 5th wheel especially when we are parked for 5 months for the winter..

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #17
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Lots of great input here, good luck with your decision

Hey wacnstac,
Hard decision to make, good luck, I know you'll make the right one for you.
I think Cameront120's advice is very interesting you know that yurt shape is exactly like the one used by the First People in Michigan for wigwams and they stood up to snow. I'm being serious here. The design makes sense.
Some folks make a little steep metal roofed over shelter without side walls, that helps the snow slide off. I wonder if any trailer will stand up to our snow without a little help? Sounds exciting planning for your property, enjoy!
Sorry you won't be Airstreaming around Mich for fun, its really a blast!
Best wishes
Old 03-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
My impression of Jayco is that they mis-spelled the name. It should be Junko. But then, there is a lot of junk out there. You will never regret going with quality. Just my opinion. We have a 91 34ft that stays in Florida and a 2002 25 ft safari that we travel with. We looked at other brands before we bought the 34ft for Florida. Other than high level Holiday Rambler, nothing was close in quality.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Guys and gals I wasn't comparing AS to Jayco specifically but just threw that name out there. I'm still leaning towards an AS as a permanent base mainly due to it's curved roof and knowing that I probably wouldn't need to build a roof over it even though it will be in the snow belt.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #20
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Some buddys and myself own a old travel trailer that we bought for a song just to get it off the guys property, we gutted it and and put bunks in it, and it will sleep 12, we added a 8x12 entry onto it with counter top and storage pluss a large fridge freezer, We haul our cooking and drinking water to use while we are there, water just draines onto the ground under trailer. We only use the trailer for Winter ice fishing it is located on the Lake Of The Woods in northern Minnesota. Whoever is up there using the trailer will remove snow from the roof. If you cannot be there to do this I would suggest that you look into a older moble home with a shinggled pitched roof. If you wife is that fussy over accomadations she would not last a day in our fishing shack. so if I was you I would think about a older used moble home were you will have running water and a under ground sewage tank that you can have pumped or go with a drainfield your choice.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #21
_

. , .
for airstream you need not apply........

hi wacnstac.......welcome

we all love de silver tubes here......

and some day every nation and family will have one (clouds clear from sky, trumpets play, white doves launch)

wac n stac .......hmmmmmmm

anyway, i see nothing in your post to suggest why you need an airstream....

or how it would serve your purpose well....

they are travel trailers.....not planters....

the hvac, water, electric, windows, a/c, wall, insulation, furnishing, galley, head, bed....and so on, are all nice systems......

and built with travel in mind...they are compromises as lightweight, small, mobile systems....

without knowing more about your location, access, and facilities....

i'd suggest getting a quonset hut, or stick built park model (thor makes some)

or well depreciated construction basecamp trailer......

yes, an old airstream...well sealed, with an intact roof, seems and belly pan, can withstand years of empty ness.....in all weather, and then be revived for travel and towing.......

using one in a remote site, or leaving it stocked for occasional use......

is an, expensive, terrible waste of a travel trailer.....and if used, it will still need care, maintenace, seam sealing, varmin proofing, protection from vandals...and so on.

and the axle system and tires and brakes do what in your intended use?

besides most wanting to protect the airstream investment...would want a concrete slab under it and a roof over it....in that remote site....

there are on so many wiser, less costly, attractive, functional options for a rural mountain cabin/hut/way station.....

step away from the silver tubes......they ain't what you need......

google the term quonset hut.......dat's what you need......

cheers
2air'
Old 03-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Airstreams are GREAT

but not for how you want to use one. Airstreams are designed for someone like me who's going to TRAVEL and put 5K to 15K per year on the ROAD.

I agree with 2Airishuman..... get a quonset hut, yurt, repo'd double wide or single wide park model. You'll be happier and if something bad does happen to it, you'll be out a heck of a lot less money.

Tin Lizzie

PS: Airstreams can be destroyed by falling trees, fire, mudslides, etc...... just like SOB's. If you want a cabin in the woods, you don't need an Airstream.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Well I have a few more requirements to meet. Zoning laws prevent a single wide Park model. For it to be legal it has to be a permanent double wide. I cannot afford a double wide. I do not have the time or money to build a cabin. A trailer would essentially allow me to move in with heat, water, (I have a well), septic, etc.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacnstac
Well I have a few more requirements to meet. Zoning laws prevent a single wide Park model. For it to be legal it has to be a permanent double wide. I cannot afford a double wide. I do not have the time or money to build a cabin. A trailer would essentially allow me to move in with heat, water, (I have a well), septic, etc.
Have you looked at the site I posted with the yurts? These are considered a permanent structure and will very likely withstand your winter snow loads. A friend set up his 24' yurt, with the help of a few friends, over a weekend not including the base on which it was placed and the plumbing rough ins and electrical wiring). They're really pretty cool structures and are cheaper than a good used Airstream. I really don't think a trailer is going to serve you well for what you want to do.

Cheers!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Looks interesting but how secure would it be? Seems like somebody could cut their way in with a utility knife.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
North Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
No, I'm not looking for somebody to just agree with me, I'm looking for some honest advice as to whether the AS will handle weather outside 365 days per year better than a stikie.

Yes. Now go buy one.

28' Safari SO
Excursion 6.0 4x
Soarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
[quote=wacnstac I am finding AS to be overpriced in many cases in my opinion. For example I have found several Jayco campers of 1994 vintage with much nicer and updated interior trim for about the same price I'd pay for a 1975 AS if I'm lucky. Do the Jayco have more of a tendency to leak/break/ etc than AS? Are the flat roofs on these Jayco's one solid piece of metal with the exception of holes for vent, etc?[/quote]

I find it strange that you would come to an Airstream forum to announce your preferrence fo Jayco products or to ask forum members here to evaluate them. May I suggest, groups.yahoo.com/group/Jayco or www.jayco.com-----------Pieman
Old 03-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Looks interesting but how secure would it be? Seems like somebody could cut their way in with a utility knife.
What recreational home is totally secure while the owner is absent? Whether it be a utility knife or crowbar, anyonewho wants in badly enough, will get in. Sadly, that's the society we live in.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote