Old 01-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Snowstorms - Redux (rhymes with s****)

I moved to the southeast to get away from the snow. And most years we get two weeks of weather below freezing with a single snow event every other year or so.

Sunny Beech! Not this year. Cold has been bitter - down to 8 F with 40 mph winds on the worst day. Today is the first day over freezing for 9 days - and we are expecting another snow event tomorrow with temps in the 20's.

Of course this far south we DO have salt, sand and a few plows - with a lot of heavy trucks and earth movers doing double duty as plows. However, most would sit idle for 51 weeks every year... so we don't have anything like what Cleveland, Buffalo or Chicago could field.

And - being the home of the Atlantic Fleet, we have drivers from every area of the country - most of whom can't drive on snow, and the ones who can have no patience for the timid ones. Disaster!

Between two space heaters and a furnace I was still cold. Bless the EB for coming with a down comforter!

Now, for the one negative I've found with the Sewer Solution. The sucker FROZE SOLID. I found out when the water in the shower started to cover my ankles. I blithely assumed that my nice hot shower would eventually melt the ice in the sewer solution but that didn't happen. I wasn't looking forward to using the hair dryer on 10 ft of frozen waste in 8 degree weather (especially since my hair was wet). And I was afraid to add more water to the system for fear of overflow. Solution. Dip water out of the shower, boil on the stove, pour back in directly over the drain,... then repeat. Got no results after 3 tries. 4th time, I poured the water down the bathroom sink. Higher velocity and higher temp all hitting at one time did the trick. Whew. I've always had a heat tape on the supply side, now I guess I might have to add one on the SS.

Waiting for a warm day to drain the black tank. Adding boiling water to that tank might ruin the seals on the toilet? Besides who needs Literal Hot S***?

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Someone in another thread about frozen tanks a few weeks ago mentioned using washer fluid in your black and grey tanks to keep "stuff" from freezing. I think I might try that before I heated up the black tank...... Just saying!

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Someone in another thread about frozen tanks a few weeks ago mentioned using washer fluid in your black and grey tanks to keep "stuff" from freezing. I think I might try that before I heated up the black tank...... Just saying!
Washer fluid is a poor substitute for RV antifreeze.

Best solution I can come up with, if the discharge system is already frozen and you're trying to avoid defrosting it with a hair dryer, pour in hot (NOT boiling— the hottest that your water heater will produce is fine) water mixed with as much salt as the hot water will hold (you can dissolve more salt in hot water than in cold). Saltwater freezes around 0°F rather than 32°F, and because it's denser than freshwater, it will sink to the bottom of the tank and therefore to your discharge system.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #4

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Cheap vodka might help. If you can spare any.

We're getting ready to head south at the end of next week. Sure wish we could have a couple of mild days to pack up and travel in.

Somebody, please, point me to the road.

AIR 3987
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2007 23' Safari SE
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Just a general observation, The mid-Atlantic (not really SE) has the worst of all worlds. I lived near Raleigh and it was Hot and humid in the Summer, and Cold in the Winter, and like today, prone to get enough snow that it was a hassle to shovel and especially treacherous to drive in, not from fear of my own ability to drive in snow or my vehicle's capability, but of the other fools on the road. I have found the "First Coast" of FL to be a delightful alternative with mild winters and not too bad summers (If you live within ten miles of the coast, there's usually a nice Sea Breeze that kicks in around 1pm and keeps the temps in the 80's... ten degrees cooler than Raleigh which often has NO breeze whatsoever in the heat of the day). I studied the East coast climate quite a bit and found this location nearly ideal. As close to CA climate as you can get with a much lower cost of living.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote