Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
Talking Snowmobiling in Tug Hill, NY

My g/f, her Dad, grand dad, and I are heading up to Tug Hill, NY to go snowmobiling. I've never been, and it's been about 10 years since they've been up there. Is anyone familiar with the area? Know of any good places along the trails to go? We're leaving this morning, so it'd be nice to find a place to go for the ball drop I'm so excited! This will be my first time riding, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a blast! Anyone else ride? Have any advise? I'll be on an old Polaris w/ a non-studded track.Happy New Year Everyone!
Catman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Passing by

Well, I recommend stopping in Sherburne on Rt 12, assuming that's your route from Binghamton.. at B&D diner.. it's good food and low priced. Fill up with gas at Flying J, exit 219 in PA... as gas is at least 20-30 cents more here in upstate.

You'll pass within 4 miles of our place... just outside of Norwich if that's your route... as far as up north, not really sure of a local place to hang out...

I know they've got the snow though... we don't really have quite enough for riding yet. My family is originally from Lowville, Carthage, Croghan area.

Enjoy! Where you staying up there?
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

DW family's from the Adirondack Park area, Poland NY.

So many trails up there...don't get lost!!!

Have Fun, stay WARM...

HOME - SNOWMOBILE NEW YORK
Old 12-31-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
We're staying at a cabin in Croghan, NY. We are staying until Sunday or Monday. We just bought a 2007 Artic Cat 600, so we'll see how it does
Old 12-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Nina's

If you are coming through Norwich.. I highly recommend Nina's pizzeria... right in the center of town on the left just past the bank... great NY style pizza and italian dinners!!

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 12-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
I been up and around the TUG Hill area a few times- -summer camping and hiking. But never in winter. There are good reasons why not many towns and villages show up on the map. Its a rugged area of the state, and that in itself might be a good reason to travel with others on snowmobiles in winter. Remember the Boy Scout modo: Be Prepared.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Here Is Another Great Area...

to snowmobile! Photo taken at 2990 feet above sea lovely, at the summit of Mount Shaw in NH.
Mount Washington can be seen in the background left, some seventy miles to the north by way the crow flies...

By the way, I'm just an old antique up to my eyeballs and love this sport!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Like Most Mountains Above 2600 Feet.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	93251  
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
For The Snowmobiling Community Out Here...

Here's a Mother Natures look at a "Scoops And Teddy Bear", ice sculpcher in the mountains of New Hampshire on one of many enjoyable rides.

I invite you all to visit my photoPost album out at; trfour Gallery - Winnipesaukee PhotoPost Gallery

I have enjoyed this area of our wonderful Country for 25+ years. I hope that all of you will find some of the many pleasures with, as well!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mother Nature's....JPG
Views:	156
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	93375  
Old 01-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
OMG!! WHAT AN AWESOME TRIP! We ran about 300 miles in 3 days. The scenery was amazing, and it snowed EVERY DAY! We ran from Crogan to Tidewater to Cranberry. We picked up with some locals and ran a lot of private/unmarked trails. There's little that will give you the rush of running 50 - 70 MPH in 10" of untouched snow! Our Blizzard (the 07 Skidoo) handled it with complete control (Angie rode that one). I rode the 97 Skidoo Formula (700 cc carbureted model). I think I had it right at the very limit of what that sled could do. It was like my brain said enough, and the testosterone was going "This is too cool!" LOL It took everything I had to keep up with Angie (gotta love a woman that's as nutz as me LMAO!) The Stillwater resevoir had 8" - 12" of slush, & about 6" of water on it (even I was concerned, but Angie led us across) Other than a few rough trails, the scenery was AMAZING! I'd gladly reccomend Tug Hill (not Old Forge - the additional permit fees were rediculous!) to anyone If you want an awesome burger w/ bad service, go to the Twin Lakes Hotel. All the food was great, but don't expect great service. And the gas down the street is over $1.30 a gallon cheaper then elsewhere at the gas station just south of the Twin Lakes Hotel Oh, our Skidoo Blizzard will pull the skis clean out of the snow when running 45 MPH & you crack the throttle open. That's raw power there! Both the Skidoos are 1-ups
Old 01-05-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Stick

I'll stick to my old early 70s Ski doo that maybe busts 30mph at top end..... those new sleds are just too dangerous, whereas at least one local person gets killed on one every winter... we've been getting a little more snow everyday these past few days... our local 300 miles of trails are getting there! Yes - the TUG is amazing. But we're a good 2 hours closer to ya!
Courtesy parking

Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up Looking to ride again!

So, am I hearing the spare bed being cleared off for us to visit?

I'm really looking forward to a lot more time on the sleds. We just bought the 07 Blizzard, but after riding that thing, the old Formula has to go LOL Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun, and quite the fun challenge, but it beats you to death compared to the Rev. Neither of us run slow, so it's like night and day between the two. So now we're looking for an 08 or newer Rev [they have more leg room and set your knees at a 105` bend instead of the 80` bend on the Blizzard] to replace the Formula. If anyone's looking for a good sled, the 97 Ski-Doo Formula is for sale. It has 7450 miles on it, and has always been well maintained. I'd like to get $1500 or so for it, but I'm open to offers.

Anyhow, we had so much fun!!!! I can't wait to get back out there again. So let me know about the spare room LMAO
Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
Correction to my above post - it's a 2000 Ski-Doo formula

If anyone's looking for a good sled, the 2000 Ski-Doo Formula is for sale. It has 7450 miles on it, and has always been well maintained. I'd like to get $1500 for it, but we're open to offers.

This is just for info, not a sales ad
Thanks
Old 01-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile If You Can't Keep Up To The Big Dogs...

May I ofer an alturnitive...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 779 and Puppies.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	94528  
Old 01-23-2010, 03:07 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
Talking

Love what yer thinkin'. We're trying to decide if we're going to Canada for a week, or somewhere else. We just bought another sled - a 2009 Ski-Doo MX Z TNT 1200XR. I thought the Blizzard was mean (it IS!), but this thing is a MONSTER! You literally have to HOLD ON to keep the sled under you when accelerating! I cracked the throttle open, and at 80 MPH I STILL had to hang on! The skis were barely touching the snow! That was a scary fun ride! The only problem I see with the 4 strokes are they run rather hot. Last weekend our 1200, and a 2007 Yamaha 1200 (4 stroke) running with us, both overheated a few times in the shallow snow. All are water cooled sleds, but the Blizzard never got hot. Both our sleds are getting 20 MPG, which really thrills me to death
Old 01-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Hey Great pics.....I've never been to NH for sledding. We go right by all the way to Ft. Kent Maine. NH is MUCH closer but unfamiliar trails for us. Will definitely have to make a go at it...it's really beautiful! Thanks for sharing & Good luck with your new sled!! Happy Trails!
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:32 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Fort Kent Is Awesome!!!!...

I ride there too. Now from the living room chair, here at Lake Winnipesaukee at the camp, Paugus Bay. I have always enjoyed going outside, firing up the sleds and taking off on many rides that took us across a frozen Lake, some 13teen miles, and 72 square miles and 253 inhabitable Islands, distance around this Lake is 182 miles.

Being able to get off the sofa, do this and ride into Canada or any United States inbetween in winter has always been a very cool and part.

A view from the Ossipee Mountains, NH.
From and with Love,
Terry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	From The Hights.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	94667  
Old 02-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
Our sleds

Mobile Photobucket GRRRR! At least you can click the link & see them ... These are our sleds. I can't believe the amount of snow we've had down home, yet up in Potter County, PA there hasn't been snow at all. We tried riding out at Ray B Winters State Park, but they dumped so much stone on top of the snow it was miserable riding. Hopefully the weather will start cooperating soon