Old 06-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I wonder if I put some koi in our half acre pond out back if they'd take care of the pond weed? I've put in 4 or 5 grass carp and have seen no effect. At least the koi would be pretty! Here in mid-Mo, we passed through the 80's and hit 90's with matching humidity, and it looks here to stay. We are in the center of wild weather tonight, continuing tomorrow and tomorrow night. Rodeo time! Everyone in this loooong storm stretching from Minnesota to Texas, safe wishes for you all. And for drought stricken Georgia and neighbors, splashy wishes for you...RAIN, not just humidity! ~G

1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Go for the Koi!

If your pond is deep, the koi should be fine, there are hundreds of them in the pond at the Missouri Botanical Gardens, been there for years. The one we have has been in a small pond in Pittsburg, KS for a long tiime, I think he is about 8 yrs old now. Judy, if you get a chance to up to Grove to Lendonwood Gardens, there is a huge koi pond there, as well as being a great botanical garden, Free admission and well worth the trip.
Koi are great plant eaters, but mine hasn't been eating my pond plants, I guess he is too well-fed. Grass carp do a better job in a farm pond.

Stormy up this way, windy and HOT for the last few days! Storm headed this way (again). Does seem like it was cool and then all of a sudden summer, the spring lasted way long this year.

Jim and Sandy

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #17
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
"Winter" was three weeks where the temps got below 40F.

Spring was several months of having the windows open at the house. Constant breeze here, on the Bay, just off the Gulf. May brought the temps and humidity up.

But rain, unlike last year, is 3.56" short for the calendar year so far (this area of the Texas Coastal Bend has a climate of low rainfall and high humidity; we average 33" annually), and I'm hoping my grasses will cover the yard of this neglected lawn where we've settled.

Waiting for rain predicted, the ground is cracking. Not yet drought-like but typical of anywhere in Texas. We pray for the spring rains, cause that's about it. Before 8-am and after 6-pm it's a gorgeous place with that constant breeze.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote