Old 03-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Skiing in Washington

We just took our first trip to Crystal Mountain. Before I got my AS, I was wondering how well it would do as a weekend ski cabin below freezing and under a blanket of snow so I thought I should post about it.

It was great! The Aluminum Falcon was dwarfed by the mobile Marriott next to me but we stayed toasty warm inside and it was breeze to pull and park on the icy packed roads. I ran our furnace on the drive up and full time while parked and didn't come close to using up the propane. You can really appreciate the AS shape when you see and imagine the weight of the snow accumulated on their roofs of SOBs. But the AS just kept a little snow mohawk down the center. I wish the 19 had bigger water tanks and my condensation problem will need solving but otherwise me, wife and two bigs dogs felt fine inside. I really can't afford to give up any space to a de-humidifier so next trip I'll try opening a vent first and see if that reduces the condensation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030003-1.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	123704   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030039-1.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	123705  

Old 03-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
_

. , .
nice pix and thanks for stirring the memories...

i used to take da'stream up 2 crystal regularly

when boon/parking in the lot was still free (and they provided electricity)

is wapiti woolies still in biz on the road up?

great hats, they made.

2 people and 2 dogs will generate 2-4 quarts of water inside the shell, easily.

providing u deal with it back in town it's not a big deal.

turn all the cushions LIFT the mattress and check under all things against exterior walls.

longer term, it would require venting, but it's sorta hard to open the vents with SNOW up there on top ...

it is easier to open 2 windows or a window/door and let it air out.

it's probably not necessary to run the furnace in route unless the outside temps are below freezing at the start.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Yep, Wapiti's is still there, holding down the Greenwater retail fort. RV parking is $10, $20 for 30 amp hookups. I was going to try running the stove vent, maybe open a window or top vent if that's not enough. I'll read your post to my wife cuz she thought i was crazy when i suggested cracking a window last time. Good advice on post trip, thanks.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
My wife and I take our 16' CCD to Mt. Shasta every year and stay at the KOA 10 miles from the x-country and down hill areas. For a moment there on our first trip out, we thought the trailer had major leaking problems. Figured out it was just condensation. Now we take a big pile of towels to stuff around the windows. It's hard to keep the unit warm and also have air flow. I run the heater when we get home for a couple of days before we put it back in storage and, as recommended, we just prop up the cushions and mattress and open everything else up. We're fortunate to have the trailer in indoor storage but still, our regular climate is cool and moist all year long. The solution to that is a desert trip at the end of winter to dry it out well. Jamie
Old 03-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
BTW AlumFalcon, Did you have to chain up to get there? If you did, how did that work out? Chains on the trailer too, right? Jamie
Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
I did chain up, not the trailer tho, just the truck's rear wheels. Actually never thought of chaining up the AS. I was getting fair traction on the roads but I tested the brakes and was slipping a bit so added the chains just for the extra confidence. I was glad I did because I'm still a horrible parker and I'm sure I couldn't have parked with my back wheels spinning. And after a heavy dumping and no plowing in the RV parking lot I had no problems pulling out. Anyone have an opinion on chaining the trailer?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Western US Cities , CA,AZ,NV,UT,OR,WA
Hey AlumFalcon,

Great to see an AS at Crystal. We think we may have seen you in the parking lot but cannot say for sure since it was snowing so hard. We were there on Mon. & Tues. That was sone crazy snow. You guys are hardcore for driving up there. Glad to hear all went well.

m&k
Old 03-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour1971 View Post
Hey AlumFalcon,

We were there on Mon. & Tues.
Yep, that was us!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
Just returned from a week in Mt. Shasta. We stayed at the KOA there. As you can see, plenty of snow. The skiing was great. I was sorta hoping to have to put the chains on just to see how it went but was glad we didn't have to. I would have put them on the trailer too. My thinking is it would help on the braking. The shot of the road is I-5 heading south just out of Mt. Shasta. Jamie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1965_2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	124878   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1964.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	124879  

Old 03-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Nice! I'm jealous, I wanted to go skiing this weekend but got outvoted for beach instead. I think I'll keep some chains for the trailer on my next ski trip, just in case. I think you are right about the braking. We did solve our condensation issues by keep a vent open, works perfectly.

Tags
snow, washington