Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Six Hours on I-95 N

I'm going to HAIL! (suthern pronunciation)

I have a conference in Lancaster PA next week and most of the way I-95 is the only tenable choice. Mebbie could do 301, but then there's the bridge from "HAIL" on the way there. A zillion feet high, two lanes wide and a big grid at the top, competing with semis and updrafts. WAH!

Oh well, there are parts of the journey that are beautiful, and the destination certainly is. Just whining.

Paula

Old 10-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
have a NICE time on the bridge. i was lucky the one time i used it the construction had one lane open so traffic was at a crawl until mid span. maybe you'll get lucky too :-)

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I'm going to HAIL! (suthern pronunciation)

I have a conference in Lancaster PA next week and most of the way I-95 is the only tenable choice. Mebbie could do 301, but then there's the bridge from "HAIL" on the way there. A zillion feet high, two lanes wide and a big grid at the top, competing with semis and updrafts. WAH!

Oh well, there are parts of the journey that are beautiful, and the destination certainly is. Just whining.

Paula
Where ya going from? I avoid I-95 like the plague! I live in NC about 15 miles or so off of I-95. I am heading to Lancaster in a week (we have a project up there) I go up via Greensboro, NC to US-29 through Lynchburg to i-64 to I-81, then cut across on US 30 through Gettysburg. I-81 ain't the greatest but it beats the fool out of going anywhere near DC. I learned my lesson a while back after getting stuck in traffic on the HOV for over 4 hours due to a wreck.

When I have to go to Philly or Baltimore I use US 301 from Richmond north to I-97, then split off from there.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia

Killer, I-95 around 'Modor' and Balmore is not fun. Even in a four wheeler!

You could always go west around 'Mordor' . If you don't want to swing way out on I 64 to I 81 and around to 7 at Winchester to Berryville and 340 north through Charles town Harper's Ferry up to Frederick and take 15 north to Gettysburg then route 30 over to Lancaster. Its a mixing bowl in Frederick to get from RT 340 to rt 15 & across 70, and 270, but North of Frederick on rt15 , heck, even Maryland isn't that bad out there : )

Now to save you time and just a little 95, go north on 95 from Richmond up to Fredericksburg. Get off on 17 north, its not bad road once you get out of Fredericksburg Its divided four lane highway, that original Virginia style
2 + 2 road where they add two new lanes but leave the original 1930 two lanes to go over hill and dale. Other than that its good. Rural farms and such. 17 meets up with 29 and goes up to Warrenton and splits from 29.
Take 17 north still four lanes.
Then 17 north joins up with I 66 west and you ride that through the gap and 17 splits from 66.
You can ride 66 west which is good road cause you are way west of Mordor. Ride it out to 340 North at Front Royal. That's good road, a little congested at first, china-marts and such.
Interesting thing is the 'Dinosaur' at the 522/340/277 intersection. Its been there for years.

Or you can split from 66 and stay on 17 north to miss the Dinosaur. That exit(23) is a doosie. Its in the middle of nowhere. If you stay like straight on 66 west and don't make a hard left, you are dumped on 17 north ! LOL
17 meets up with rt 50 and you go west over the Blue Ridge, just south of Mt. Weather, (secret tunnel from pentagon comes out there)
Go west on 50, across the hill/Mountain whatever, and go down the other side cross Shenandoah river , take a right on 255 north. Its a short cut through the fields. If you miss it, no problem, just pick up 340 on the north side of Berryville.
When you get to West Virginia on rt 340 it goes two lane for a couple miles before it turns into 'Big Road' Limited access highway , with a couple crazy stoplights. Which don't make sense since its a 'limited access highway'.
Go around Charles Town, stay on 340 north, around Harpers Ferry four lane ends going back into VA . It goes two lane again for a couple miles in VA. (crazy ) 45mph but in the woods,
Two lane bridge into Maryland, then Good highway again but up hill from the Potomac river valley. Did I tell you it was up hill.
Good until Frederick, then that 'mixing bowl ' you need to look for rt 15 north. 340 end there at 70.
Its marked well. Just don't do it at 'drive time' in morning or after work, other times its not to bad.
15 north is good road up to Gettysburg. Nice towns in Thurmont and Emmitsburg. Nice looking Farms. Like I said, those folks out there in Western Maryland are actually nice !
I have bought a tractor or two out there and brought back to Virginia.
Lots of places to get gas and diesel. Go north on 15 into PA to the Gettysburg bypass and go right on Rt 30 East to Lancaster.
Its easy you can do it.
Best of all, No Mordor ! LOL
Have a good one !
Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I'm going to HAIL! (suthern pronunciation).

Paula

Technically, in the proper suthren pronunciation (see what I did there?), it would be two syllables i.e. Hay-ul...

-Red, educating the world in proper southronese, one soul at a time... Wink, wink, nudge, nudge...
Old 10-09-2014, 01:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
I'm leaving from VA BEACH - west on I-64 to reach I-95 (or 301). I know 81, but that's a lot of westward travel to go almost straight north.

Thanks for thinking of it though.

(Yes the south is rife with 2 syllable words such as SHEEE-IT. Before ah became a grateful recoverin' Yankee, I was amazed to tour Alexandria VA and hear the Northern terms referred to as something that took me a moment to interpret as "enemy".... what I heard sounded a great deal like an undignified medical prep for surgery or childbirth.)

Paula
Old 10-09-2014, 04:50 AM   #7
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
The old Florida crackers use words such as Miamuh, and hurrikin....and, don't even ask how we pronounce Lafayette locally, but somehow we've reduce it to two syllables...

-Red

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-09-2014, 05:29 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Forgot to add last night... Paula's bridge from HAIL is named "Nice" Bridge... somewhat ironic IMHO.

Forgot about the US 17 cutover at Fredricksburg, that is a viable option too. I usually don't use that because it brings me back to I-95.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Can you make "Hail" a little less painful be travelling in off peak hours? Our version of Mordor is Toronto. There is no way around it. The 401 used to go over the north end but the city expanded and engulfed it. It is best avoided between 06:00 and 10:00 and also from 15:00 to 19:00. At other times it is sufferable. Of course all bets are off if a driver has a stupid attack and closes it down with a wreck.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia

From VA Beach, just take 95N to Fredericksburg. Get on 17 and run that to Winchester. At Winchester, get on 81 and take it all the way to Lancaster.

Avoid DC altogether. The only bad part of that drive is the first hour. Once you get past Williamsburg and the snarl at Fredericksburg, it's smooth sailing.

Or, if you don't want to go 81, just drive at night and miss all the traffic
Old 10-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
I'm going to look at 17 again. I often take it when heading toward 66 and Ohio. It's easy to get on just beyond Newport News and a nice ride except through Tappahannock and a few other small burgs. It's also one of the points you can turn right onto 301 if so inclined.

Paula
Old 10-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Not to hijack Paula's thread, but I am doing the other axis of the X of that trip in two weeks -- from Richmond Va., to Wildwood NJ for a Barbershop Harmony Convention and contest. I am not sure if I want to I-95 it all the way up and over the Del Mar Bridge and then out to the coast, or I95 to DC; across the bridge at Anapolis and then take the Cape May Ferry which puts me 20m south of Wildwood at the other terminus....

BUT... it also means I get to experience "gas station with a 28' trailer" experience for the first time as it'd be a two tank drive in my estimate (well, 0.95 tanks, but close enough...) At least with I95 through MD, I'd have the center-island service stops routinely available though it'd be about 100 miles ($25/gas in Richmond prices (assuming I95 is not likely the $2.74 for 87 I saw at Costco today....)

double meh.

meh....
Old 10-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Ian, will you be staying at Jersey Shore Haven Airstream park ??? We were there last month for a rally and it's very convenient to Wildwood. You can always fill up during your travels while unhitched. We fill up all the time while towing. Usually I can easily find a place with room enough. I did say usually, not always though.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Alas, jersey shore closes the day I arrive so no. I'll be at Sun Resorts Seashore campsites. Even before arriving, they get a grade D as they've been selling the one-use email address I used to register to industry spam lists.

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Fors F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages