Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Six Degrees of Separation

In 1999 I was working at home and my wife was working in Aurora. One of us heard about Columbine and called the other and though the day I relayed info from the TV to her. Some people at her job knew people in that neighborhood and everyone was worried. Later I discovered a friend's son went to that school and he had been mentioned by the sheriff as a "person of interest". This was completely false and the sheriff had spoken recklessly.

I don't know if we are connected to everyone on the planet by 6 degrees, but we know a lot of people in Colorado. In 1999 we thought Colorado was above the craziness that breaks out in the country from time to time. We found we were only above the nation in altitude. There was the loss of innocence that always hurts. I guess I should have known better about connections because several years before there was the Okla. City bombing. A friend, originally from Oklahoma, told me her brother was a block away in his office, but he was ok. Right now I feel like I always know someone or know someone who knows someone who is at or near a major tragedy.

So, once again we wonder. We know many people in the Denver area and some live in Aurora. Aurora is a big city (325,000, 56th in country) adjacent to Denver. There are many Forum members in Colorado and others who know people in Colorado.

We haven't heard anything this morning and I suppose it will sort out in the next days. So far 12 dead, 59 wounded. I can say this is most probably done by a crazy person and it can happen anywhere. It is 250 miles from here, but it feels closer than that.

I hope everyone we know is ok, but a lot of people aren't and won't be for a long time. I have to e-mail close friends who live a block from Aurora, like movies and probably didn't go to a midnight showing, but I have to know.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
This is a very sad day indeed. My thoughts go out to the victims and their families..

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
As a Virginia Tech alumnus, I can assure you that it can, in fact, happen anywhere. My thoughts are with the families and the community affected by this senseless tragedy.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The friends I contacted are fine. They live a couple of miles away and have been to that theater many times. I suppose we'll hear about the scores of other people we know in the Denver area in time. Can't help wondering though.

We were thinking of seeing Batman tomorrow, but I'm just not up for it. Maybe in a week.

Are these mass shootings getting more frequent, or does it feel that way? I know in a country of 310 million, there are crazies who need to wreak havoc, but it seems too easy to do now. Long ago the rarity of this made them stand out—the guy who killed a lot of nurses or the one who shot people from a tower in Texas come to mind. In the past few decades, it becomes a blur—Columbine, Gabby Giffords (including a federal court judge and a little girl and more), Va. Tech, Okla. City, (not a shooting, but just as crazy), Ft. Hood. Here's one tally: http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/...-shootings.pdf

I don't want this to become another gun thread—they always say the same things, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Gene
Old 07-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I agree Gene,

We can simply keep this as your post was originally intended. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this tragedy.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Not just in the US, worldwide...Canada, Finland, Sweden, UK have all had similar shootings in the past 15 years.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Not just in the US, worldwide...Canada, Finland, Sweden, UK have all had similar shootings in the past 15 years.

Aaron
One of the people killed at the theater witnessed a shooting in a Toronto mall on June 2.

Gene
Old 07-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These folks seem to pop up all over the country. Senseless tragedy and random acts of violence are not confined to large urban areas.

I did hear on the news this morning that the suspect had either a Tennessee driver's license or Tennessee plates on his vehicle, can't remember which. May not have been a native coloradoan.

Such a dreadfully tragic and sad event. Our thoughts are with them all.

Maggie
Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
These folks seem to pop up all over the country. Senseless tragedy and random acts of violence are not confined to large urban areas.

I did hear on the news this morning that the suspect had either a Tennessee driver's license or Tennessee plates on his vehicle, can't remember which. May not have been a native coloradoan.

Such a dreadfully tragic and sad event. Our thoughts are with them all.

Maggie

He was from CA attending college in CO. Working on a PhD in Neuroscience.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
The thing to remember here is, when you leave a friend and say goodbye, mean it with passion, because it may just be for real. Same goes, when you leave a loved one, even if they are just heading out to the store to pick something up, don't flippantly say see ya, say goodbye with love in your eyes and voice.

Stuff happens, whether it is a wing nut in a theater, some gang banger that has zero brains and a big trigger, a distracted driver, or the body decides it is all done doing what it is supposed to be doing.

We are never ever "safe" completely. So love your life, the people you treasure, and when this stuff happens close your eyes for a moment and remember those folks and their unfinished lives, the families they've left behind, and the promise of what could have been.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have been watching the news all day long. I always want to say that things like this are un-believable, but the older I get, I realize that nothing is un-believable anymore. His parents live near San Diego, Ca. and the news media has taken over their neighborhood; camping out in their front yard. [actually in the street] What grief some kids cause their parents. The news media likes to swarm houses, such as "Octomom" who lives not too far from us too. I personally saw this. And the big question of the day is : WHY????????????
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Connections...

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
The thing to remember here is, when you leave a friend and say goodbye, mean it with passion, because it may just be for real. Same goes, when you leave a loved one, even if they are just heading out to the store to pick something up, don't flippantly say see ya, say goodbye with love in your eyes and voice.

Stuff happens, whether it is a wing nut in a theater, some gang banger that has zero brains and a big trigger, a distracted driver, or the body decides it is all done doing what it is supposed to be doing.

We are never ever "safe" completely. So love your life, the people you treasure, and when this stuff happens close your eyes for a moment and remember those folks and their unfinished lives, the families they've left behind, and the promise of what could have been.
Thanks safari57 for your comments about "the thing to remember here is...".

And thanks Gene for reminding us of the "six degrees of separation" idea and that we are all connected... and have connections...

Colorado shooting suspect, James Eagan Holmes, has a San Diego connection...

And San Diego has had it's own share of senseless killings, such as the McDonald's Massacre in 1984.

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote