Old 01-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #71
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I would rather direct my monthly expenditures toward something more productive than SIRIUS RADIO broadcasts.
If we are traveling, the search button on the AM/FM will give you all the music, news, weather, and local announcements you can handle. (Isn't that what you are traveling for -- to experience new areas?)
And if we are in the mountains and out of good radio reception, we always have Willy.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm
I would rather direct my monthly expenditures toward something more productive than SIRIUS RADIO broadcasts.
If we are traveling, the search button on the AM/FM will give you all the music, news, weather, and local announcements you can handle. (Isn't that what you are traveling for -- to experience new areas?)
And if we are in the mountains and out of good radio reception, we always have Willy.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #73
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #74
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
How I Can Afford An Airstream

I guess I am just out of the loop.
I had to look up "techno" and "Dropbox" and "Stiletto" (mixed message on that one) . I did know what an IPod was, but never seen one.
A "hard drive" is Nanaimo, BC

to Missoula, MT, in one day.
I suspect I have saved an AIRSTREAM load of money by ignoring this stuff. I must admit I bought a few 8 tracks in the days that made the long road trips in my 79 Cordoba a pleasure.
I agree we all want different things and our needs vary widely.
When/if we listen to the story Willie is telling, how can you not relate to the desire to hit the road and get out camping, telling stories, having some beverage and just having a great time relaxing with family and friends.
Hope to see everyone at the campsites sometime in our travels.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanclan View Post
My family camps within 150 miles or so of where we live...no "traveling" really. We camp in the Sierra Nevada mountains (with an occasional trip to a desert lake). There isn't any "new" stations for us to discover and where we camp gets ZERO radio reception other than our Sirius Stiletto. Sirius allows us to pick different styles of music to our changing moods. Our local stations (if we could hear them) don't have the variety (or specialization like "techno" for example). I would argue that we are exposed to MORE music and shows than we ever would traveling the country listening to local stations. We aren't stuck in the "what we listened to in high school" is the coolest/only music we listen to. iPods were great, but their time is past. I extended the life of mine by using them as portable hard drives and then Dropbox came along...
Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Seriusly ... the package came with the vehicle - free for one year. It is somewhat addicitve, but we won't likely extend beyhond the free year.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #76
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Sirius just wacked my card for close to 200.00. I called my bank and cancelled the transaction. I have always paid in advance...Im under no contract with them. It's called stealing.

Last straw, hello pandora from now on.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I really don't understand why people call this fraud. The documents I get from them clearly say they will renew automatically, and they warn me in advance of doing it. Honestly, I never expected them to do anything different.

I wouldn't want to have to call them every month or year and say, "Yes, keep me on for another month." In fact, I'd be pretty frustrated if I went out to the car one day and the service had stopped because I forgot to opt in again that month/year.

My phone, electricity, cable, water, trash, insurance, cell, and internet service all automatically renew every month unless I take action to cancel it, and all of those have always worked that way. Imagine if you had to make a call like that to the electric company every month: "Yes, I want electricity in August! Thanks!"

I don't see people starting threads here talking about the huge scam internet service is because they renew every month. I don't understand why people thought Sirius would be different.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1969 25' Tradewind
1983 34' Limited
fairview , New Mexico
On my case I had cancelled the subscription a year or so before. They still withdrew money from my account. They changed amounts in order to prevent my bank from blocking the withdrawals. They did not stop until I made a fraud report with the bank and the state attorney generals office. Since I have seen no activity.

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I really don't understand why people call this fraud. The documents I get from them clearly say they will renew automatically, and they warn me in advance of doing it. Honestly, I never expected them to do anything different.

I wouldn't want to have to call them every month or year and say, "Yes, keep me on for another month." In fact, I'd be pretty frustrated if I went out to the car one day and the service had stopped because I forgot to opt in again that month/year.

My phone, electricity, cable, water, trash, insurance, cell, and internet service all automatically renew every month unless I take action to cancel it, and all of those have always worked that way. Imagine if you had to make a call like that to the electric company every month: "Yes, I want electricity in August! Thanks!"

I don't see people starting threads here talking about the huge scam internet service is because they renew every month. I don't understand why people thought Sirius would be different.
Usually it's because that print is very small and someone did not "opted-in". Instead they are required to "opt-out" by default, which is a common tactic (that most people see as sleazy) used by companies.
Also, comparing basic services to a entertainment is a bit like apples and oranges.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
They moved their call center (at least customer retention) back to the US a while back. I called them a few months ago because I wanted to lower my monthly bills (I was paying $55 a month for three radios and an internet subscription). They willingly dropped it in half and I cancelled a radio that I wasn't using any longer. They also gave me two free months. I'm paying $20 a month now for two radios and the internet subscription for my iphone/ipad/computer.

I couldn't be happier with their customer service and it's been great every time I've called.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #81
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Usually it's because that print is very small and someone did not "opted-in". Instead they are required to "opt-out" by default, which is a common tactic (that most people see as sleazy) used by companies.
Also, comparing basic services to a entertainment is a bit like apples and oranges.
I'm with Skater on this one. I just don't get it. We have to read what we are doing when we give a company the credit card information, folks!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I'm with Skater on this one. I just don't get it. We have to read what we are doing when we give a company the credit card information, folks!
It's only fraud if they bill you after you cancel it, and that is what is happening. I have sirius and use it in our Sequoia because the radio SUCKS. they put the antenna in the rear side widow and it doesn't pick up anything. I complained and they said they would pass it on. My 1990 jeep Cherokee stock radio picks up all the stations my 2008 Sequoia picks up 2 maybe.

If I ever cancel I better get a refund for the months not used and never see a bill from them.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #83
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
When I decided to subscribe after my free 6 months, I asked them to send me the invoice and I mailed them a check. There is no agreement for them to continue billing except by mail.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
It's certainly not fraud, but it's not the most open way to do business...tiny print that only someone with perfect eyesight can see buried in the very back page. And of course it's the person's responsibility who gives the card info. But the responsibility of the consumer and the business practices of the company are separate things.