Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I was looking into Sirius the other day, and as usual there is no clarity about what one is buying.
I found the same about fees when I was looking into data plans from Verizon. And the numbers I finally found did not include all the added charges like "regulatory fee", "property tax", "CEO yacht fee" and "Undisclosed fee".

They get away with it and now I see more and more things with prices hidden. I don't usually buy from people like that.

And, as you wrote, finding out what you get and what you don't is just as hard. If they stick you for a couple of bucks, you have to go to an arbitrator at the other end of the country and can't band together with others who have been cheated to make it affordable.

Have you ever read your credit card rules? I know how to write legal gibberish no one can understand. I assume most lawyers can and some are willing to do it. The new federal consumer protection agency is supposed to solve this and I think it will take years to change all this crap.

So I'd like to get Bloomberg radio, CNN radio, etc., wherever I go, but I can get the same information from lots of other sources if I want to pay for it. And I can wait a few hours too. Sirius is not a necessity for most people.

Gene

Old 01-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #44
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I most wholly agree with what you say, C-G, but will take this piece a step farther:

The new federal consumer protection agency is supposed to solve this and I think it will take years to change all this crap.

No, the Court negated that one is claiming the right of the lendor to eliminate court access by debtors superceded the rights of citizens. (I would think the NYT would have pissed you off by now.) A c-p-a is just more whitewash. I can't think of an agency, state or federal, which actually lives up to it's promises. Let's keep appeals courts high on that list as well (as Gerry Spence most acutely put it some years ago).

I miss the old days of radio. Local programming. Local ownership. Whatever it's deficiencies there was a lot to be said for what locals were listening to, musically. Sirius may not be great, but long hours behind the wheel (job) will make it worthwhile when the need is felt for an emotional or spiritual boost.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
My statement is a generalization. My posts are long enough already.

Without reading all the stuff that's out there I am hopeful the consumer protection agency helps. I keep telling myself "change is incremental", but it sure is slow and frustrating.

Gene
Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
For what it's worth, I've had excellent experience with Sirius CS over the years; I've been with them for at least 6 years, through several radios.

My biggest annoyance with them was when they kept contacting me about reactivating one of the radios which I'd cancelled because I sold the car. When I sold the second vehicle with a tuner, I was braced for the same thing, but it never came - I think the first time they didn't put the reason for canceling that radio in the computer correctly.

That headache is totally worth it. I can't even listen to FM music any more - it just feels like wall-to-wall commercials. We listen to the traffic report on a local FM station in the morning, then hop back to Sirius (the new Sirius traffic timing doesn't work as well for our commute).

My wife discovered the Show Tunes channel. Now she loves Sirius too.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #47
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
We do have couple local FM stations that I listen to. However I really enjoy Sirius when traveling in the west. Without Sirius, you had better learn to enjoy country western and/or Latin American music..

I have had not billing problems with them yet.

Ken
Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
After a few months of Sirius fee's....., instead you could have a couple of iPods (one for each vehicle) where you could put all the music you want on them to get you wherever your going w/o ever having to listen to commercials, use your laptop pc/iPad for your news fix, and never have to deal with fustrating companies like Sirius. ??? Aprox. $100/month for music, that's about 1200 itunes in one year, of course you could always talk to the person sitting next to you, the way your mom & dad did. IMO

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
I had both XM and Sirius. I cancelled both without any problem. I knew they were cancelled because I no longer had reception. No Worries.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Have used Sirius since 2005. It came with the Airstream. No problems so far, and we just registered an additional receiver. When traveling on the ALCAN last fall the signal was sketchy, or non-existent, through Alaska and the Yukon, but worked in most of British Columbia. It was all we had for radio most of the trip.

"After a few months of Sirius fee's....., instead you could have a couple of iPods (one for each vehicle) ,,,
... and never have to deal with fustrating companies like Sirius. ??? Aprox. $100/month for music,..."

Really? I'm paying about $20 a month for two receivers.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #51

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I've talked about the otherGeekyOptions but didn't really discuss the topic at hand. When we bought our '07 Lariat used last year, we qualified for a 3-month free trial (and didn't even have to provide a credit card to set that up, though they *DID* try to get me to go ahead and give that when I signed up, in the certainty that I'd want to continue uninterrupted and wouldn't notice their flood of messages to renew.

I found their offerings to be decent, but the sound quality wasn't better than MP3s, and between us we have a pretty sizable music library... there's even some of it we both like.

In the end, we decided we did well enough with the 280 hours of music on our MP3 player plus the 75 hours on 6 CDs of MP3s in the changer that we didn't need to continue the monthly subscription, never mind the Pandora possibilities.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #52
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by macofpei View Post
I had both XM and Sirius. I cancelled both without any problem. I knew they were cancelled because I no longer had reception. No Worries.
Really? I would check your bank account. Just because you no longer have reception does not mean they aren't still billing you.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #53
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
Really? I would check your bank account. Just because you no longer have reception does not mean they aren't still billing you.
I know nothing about Canadian banking Laws. However my experience in the US has been that if a customer informs their bank about erroneous charges, the problem is quckly rectified. Usaully I don't even bother arguing with the billing company. I let the bank do that on my behalf. I have never had a problem doing it that way.

Ken
Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
I was an early responder to this thread, and said that it is very difficult to get yourself off Sirius XM system and to never give them your credit card number but use traditional paper billing only.

I forgot to mention that 3 year ago now I paid $15 for an XM radio at Goodwill. When I got it home it was still authorized. I gave it to a neighbor. It is still authorized 3 years later, that means that someone is still paying for the service, approximately $13 a month. So many people never check their Credit Card Billing, I guess. Or they thought that years ago they had this one turned off and yet kept some other account with XM and this one was never actually removed. XM's billing system is such that it is almost impossible to tell which radios you may have that are being paid for, and which are not.

I like satellite radio, not just for the music. I have had it since almost the first time it went on the air, over 10 years ago. However, now that one rig has Sirius built in, and the other has XM built in, and knowing that doing business with them is very very difficult, I am pretty sure that neither will be renewed in the future. And if I do, it will only be with paper billing, never with a Credit Card authorization.

Again, I quote "Hotel California" You can check in any time you want, but you can never leave. Very poor business and customer service.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
The VW Golf I traded for my F150 had a Sirius radio with a 90-day free trial. I listened to it for about 30 seconds and switched back to my iPod Touch. The Sirius audio sounded like garbage because of too much compression. For a one-time purchase fee of $249 I can carry my entire music collection (approx 30k tunes) and several months worth of podcasts (everything from Astronomy Cast to Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour) with me.

Seriously (groan) the iTunes Store has so much excellent free content I can't understand why anyone would put up with Sirius radio*. When I turn off the stereo and turn it back on it takes up right where I left off. I get to choose what I listen to instead of depending upon a radio feed. I have 82.5 days of music and 193.9 days of podcasts on my iPod, and the sound is much better than Sirius.

*OK, I'm picky. I had my truck four days when I replaced the MyFordSync® system with an Alpine head unit and Focal speakers.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelegood
After a few months of Sirius fee's....., instead you could have a couple of iPods (one for each vehicle) where you could put all the music you want on them to get you wherever your going w/o ever having to listen to commercials, use your laptop pc/iPad for your news fix, and never have to deal with fustrating companies like Sirius. ??? Aprox. $100/month for music, that's about 1200 itunes in one year, of course you could always talk to the person sitting next to you, the way your mom & dad did. IMO
It's hard to adapt to new technology only to have it quickly outdated...iPods are yesterday's technology...fill one up with music (about $10,000 for the capacity of my latest video iPod that has been untouched for years) and you're sick of the music in a month...Pandora and Sirius allow you to listen to an amazing variety of music...I use both and love them both...approx $100 a month for music is a ridiculous statement....Pandora is $3 per month and like my previous post mentioned my Sirius has a lifetime subscription I paid $399 for (on sale at the time from $499). It's been worth every penny and my cost DROPS each month I keep using it!