Old 01-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
May be a good thing since they may not let me quit anyway
When you die, do they start billing your children until they die?

Gene

Old 01-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Gene
I suppose that's possible.. Had a similiar experience with a long distance provider. Finally just refused to pay them. So far as I know they haven't sued the dead guy yet.

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Not if they don't have a credit card number for them!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Nick

It is an app on my smartphone.

To see how it works go to www.pandora.com on your computer. It is pretty slick. You pick an artist and then this station plays their songs and other similar songs to this artist. I made it through the Christmas season with nonstop music from two stations- Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Dan
Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch
We had Sirius when we got our new truck. The subscription was free for the first year and we liked it ok but couldn't justify the expense. We let the subscription expire and the phone calls began to get us to resubscibe. I don't know how many times I said no and please don't call us back, but it was too many. Even talking to the supervisor had no effect. Anyway, we just started hanging up on them and they finally went away. If we ever decide to go with satellite, I guarantee it won't be Sirius.
Um, yes it WILL be Sirius...They're the ONLY satellite radio company...
Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I haven't read the whole thread, so if I repeat, forgive me. Here's the way to work it IMO. (at least with XM...and now they are the same company). Don't put your credit card on file, just pay for a term. When the term expires, don't renew. Now you'll have to do without your satellite "fix" for a month or so...but they will start calling you. About the third call, they'll offer you a year..or 2...at half price! Works like a charm. My daughter and son have been doing this for several years.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1969 25' Tradewind
1983 34' Limited
fairview , New Mexico
They did credit our acct. Tamara had threatened to report them for fraud with the bank. she also let them know that I had gotten in touch with the Attorney General. The money was back in the bank the next day. I will be keeping an eye on the acct from now on.

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #36

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
How does one use Pandora in the TV? Do you have to add another receiver?
In our case, we have a wired "Aux" jack on top of the dash, next to a convenient tray. We can plug one phone or the other in and run Pandora when cell reception is decent, or play music that's stored in the phone (or plug in one of the MP3 players) when cell reception is not good.

Some newer vehicles (or vehicles with newer stereos if you have an aftermarket head unit) also Bluetooth connectivity so that you can send the music wirelessly to the car stereo. If you don't have an aux input or bluetooth, there are adapters that will plug into your portable device and send the music out on a low-power FM transmission you can tune with your radio, but these are often prone to interference.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There are so many sources of content that a company that treats it's customers badly should loose out eventually.

They may hold on for years, go through bankruptcies, but someday they get bought cheap, maybe looted by investment houses, maybe get better leaders, maybe survive.

How much business has cable lost to satellite? Now satellite TV companies have gotten as bad, so people are migrating to internet TV. Did the land line telephone company treat you badly?—you can go to cellphones and get treated badly there.

People shift from company to company. Unfortunately bad service and contempt for customers exist everywhere. Sirius is just worse than others, but not by that much.

Gene
Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #38
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
If you are just listening to music, I have found that Pandora works pretty well and it is free- not much advertising to listen to. If you want you can pay $36/yr and no adds.

Dan
I what like to know how you can get Pandora in your automobile or RV without paying big bucks for someone to stream the audio to you via some type of mobile internet. It might work in a campground with wifi, otherwise I'm thinking it could be come quite pricey.
Am I wrong?

Ken
Old 01-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #39

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I what like to know how you can get Pandora in your automobile or RV without paying big bucks for someone to stream the audio to you via some type of mobile internet. It might work in a campground with wifi, otherwise I'm thinking it could be come quite pricey.
Am I wrong?

Ken
If you have a smartphone with a large (or unlimited) data plan it's workable where there's a good 3G signal. I wouldn't do such a thing *JUST* for Pandora, but as a geek I have a smartphone anyway (Android in my case) so there's no added expense to listen in the truck.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #40
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If you have a smartphone with a large (or unlimited) data plan it's workable where there's a good 3G signal. I wouldn't do such a thing *JUST* for Pandora, but as a geek I have a smartphone anyway (Android in my case) so there's no added expense to listen in the truck.
I Have a Droid 2 and have listened to Pandora just to see if I can. Do you listen to it directly or route it through your vehicle's sound system?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #41

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

I Have a Droid 2 and have listened to Pandora just to see if I can. Do you listen to it directly or route it through your vehicle's sound system?
We have an aux input jack in the truck, I just plug a cable into the headphone jack on my Evo and listen through the truck's stereo.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
There are so many sources of content that a company that treats it's customers badly should loose out eventually.

They may hold on for years, go through bankruptcies, but someday they get bought cheap, maybe looted by investment houses, maybe get better leaders, maybe survive.

How much business has cable lost to satellite? Now satellite TV companies have gotten as bad, so people are migrating to internet TV. Did the land line telephone company treat you badly?—you can go to cellphones and get treated badly there.

People shift from company to company. Unfortunately bad service and contempt for customers exist everywhere. Sirius is just worse than others, but not by that much.

Gene

It isn't simply bad service, it's that the FCC and other agencies were gutted of personnel and meaning years ago. Their function now is to babysit monopoly practices (FDA or SEC or other agencies on other subjects); such as using the FBI to arrest on suspicion of copyright infringement. Handy that the taxpayer foots the bill for ones guaranteed profit.

Lack of competition, narrow range of choice (illusion of choice), poor services and high prices. Hollow state or banana republic; no alternative.

Other countries do it better, we already know we could do it better.

I was looking into Sirius the other day, and as usual there is no clarity about what one is buying. That said, as NPR and APR are a joke nowadays, it looks worthwhile to me to have a device I can move from TT to TV to other as well. Will figure it out at some point. Glad to have read all of the above, and thank you.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote