Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Question Shopping for GPS...

I know, I know, we are probably one of the last kids on the block without one...so I figured I'd ask all of you that already have them for some info. Mr.InsideOut would normally be the one shopping for this - but he has a birthday coming up and I want to surprise him - but I have no clue...

Garmin, TomTom, Magellan...so what's the difference and what makes one better than the other? What models/features do you find most helpful? Which features do you think are more trouble than they are worth?

Cost isn't so much an issue - I'm more concerned about "bang for the buck" and ease of use. Right now we use our iPhones - but I think it's time to get something with a bit more "ooomph".

I guess one of the other things I need to know is if there are some that work better in remote "road less traveled" areas? I know with our iPhones, there have been places that there is no signal - so we are out of luck. It seems those would be the places you need a GPS most...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
ToTom now has an app for your iPhone. But I assume it needs a phone signal for the data.
Sam and I both have TomToms- got them originally because Garmin didn't play well with a Mac, but I think that has changed.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a Garmin Nuvi 660. We call him Jack. We have had him for about three years now. We like him very much because of the large scree (3"x4"). He has always done real well for us with a few minor hick-ups.

We have updated the mapware once. Jack is really good going through big cities on the Interstate. He gives advance instructions as to which lane we need to be in. That's a biggy when pulling Lucy.

Jack does seem to work everywhere we have been with no dead spots. We use an external GPS antenna with Jack so that we can mount hin below the dash.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I did a fairly thorough search before a recent trip to Montana. I belong to Consumer Reports online but they aren't really current IMO. Product reviews and prices, software downloads, and tech news - CNET is very good and caused me to do enough brow scratching that I deferred the purchase right before the trip.

CNET tends to get too excited about technical whiz-bang and makes daily-use nuts and bolts a bit hard to filter out. The user comments below each model overview can point out practical issues. It's a good place to start in my experience.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
My experience...

I have an old (by electronic standards) Nuvi 370 that has been with me through the US and Europe. My SO has a TomTom, and our kids have Nuvi 200's, and a Nuvi 1300.

All are good units, but the TomTom interface differs from the Garmins, so it's kind of the odd man out in our family.

The Nuvi 1300 is much improved over the 200's, and the 370. Wouldn't mind having it my self.

Before I purchased mine I spent several hours over a few store visits playing with several brands/models to see which one was most user friendly for me. I would recommend others do the same.

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
This Garmin has a great many features for truckers. if i had to get another GPS it would be this one. i currently have an Alpine W505 with Blackbird GPS.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=275&pID=31541

Mark
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
I know, I know, we are probably one of the last kids on the block without one.
We don't have one either. We use the "map" and that way we know where we are rather than a computo-voice telling us where to turn. We've never used an ATM either, but we do have indoor plumbing. I've thought of a small one just to tell altitude, but have survived so far.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Garmin
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
"bang for the buck" and ease of use.
Shari
I chose tomtom 340S, but price did enter, didn't want to spend too much as they are all temp fixes for navigation, like computers they will be superceded by newer better models by the time you learn to use the one you bought.
I like the voice naming the street at turns, the poi's built in and easy to get more online. It is great in finding satillites to work from, even in the house.
Don't like the lack of overall map picture or trying to set routes by specific roads.
My MS Streets and trips does a much better job for planning a trip.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We use the "map" and that way we know where we are rather than a computo-voice telling us where to turn.
Another vote here for the map. I usually have a compass in the bag, just in case. I like to think of it as "keeping it vintage".

Good luck on your GPS decision.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks for the input so far...keep it coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We don't have one either. We use the "map" and that way we know where we are rather than a computo-voice telling us where to turn. We've never used an ATM either, but we do have indoor plumbing. I've thought of a small one just to tell altitude, but have survived so far.

Gene
Okay, so I'm not the last one!

So far, it looks like so far Garmin is the preferred brand...
I checked Costco online...they have 765T and 855. Looks like the difference is one is voice activated and the other is 3-D - but basically they appear to be the same based on the specs from Garmin's website. Anybody have experience with either of these models?

BTW...I'm a map reader myself ~ but the other half likes gadgets.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Garmin's Nuvi 550 - its waterproof. has the US & Canada preloaded (or you can get the preloaded Europe model), and has a longer battery life before recharging. And you can add data chips for topo and specific regions. I also have a Brunton pocket transit for a compass as a back-up.
flakeyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
We upgraded to a Garmin nuvi 255w which has the bigger screen. It is simple to use, quickly updates routes if you take an incorrect turn. Not the most expensive but a good basic model. Garmins are easy to use.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
What is this "map" thing you are talking about?

I'm a GPS freak. I have on in my car, on my bicycle and a handheld for skiing/hiking/kayaking.

I guess I just have to know where I am at all times.

Now where did I put my glasses???
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Garmin all the way ,
Old 09-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonclassic View Post
We upgraded to a Garmin nuvi 255w which has the bigger screen. It is simple to use, quickly updates routes if you take an incorrect turn. Not the most expensive but a good basic model. Garmins are easy to use.
another vote for the Garmin 255.
somebody mentioned earlier comm problems with MAC, they've resolved this. No problems there, plus, you can do some neat hacking with the data- like downloading the .gpx data, and viewing it on Google Earth. I did this after I had my truck in for service. Saw exactly how the mechanic went about burning 1/2 a tank of gas.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
<SNIP>
I guess one of the other things I need to know is if there are some that work better in remote "road less traveled" areas? I know with our iPhones, there have been places that there is no signal - so we are out of luck. It seems those would be the places you need a GPS most...

Shari

GPS is not like cell phone coverage - as long as the unit can "SEE" the sky and it's required number of satellites for a position fix then you are good. The maps installed in the units are human input and are only as good as the data input - soooooooo.... if the road is not in the unit then there will not be a road for the unit to position you on but the unit will give you an accurate (+/- 3 meters) position of where you are on the earth.

Just today going from Providence, RI to Falmouth, MA - I crossed over a new bridge that my unit did not know about - it screamed loudly "turn around NOW".

In general - if it can see the sky - you will have coverage. Cities with lots of tall buildings cause problems - canyons do too, lots of trees - really thick tree top canopy can reduce coverage and affect position accuracy. Too much info - I'll stop.

The best coverage right now is over the Persian Gulf region - a must have for UAV's and smart weapons. Coverage over the US is very good - commercial applications in the US require it. Coverage over the poles is the worst - the orbital paths of the sats makes coverage in that area poor.

We have a Nuvi - bought on sale at wallyworld. No complaints - I like to have a hard map as my planner and use the GPS to help out on the road - there are lots of bells and whistles - go simple and see if you like the technology in your life - to much to learn with a new device can drive a person crazy.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
About a year ago, I was on a Delta Flight between Atlanta and Flint, Michigan. The pilot had just told us that we were cruising at 500 mph at 30,000 feet. I had the Garmin 660 in my brief case. I took it out and fired it up. The Garmin showed us traveling at 498 mph at 39,850 feet. It even showed the towns and major roads below.

At least I know that the speed and altitude is accurate.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Okay, so I'm not the last one!

So far, it looks like so far Garmin is the preferred brand...
I checked Costco online...they have 765T and 855. Looks like the difference is one is voice activated and the other is 3-D - but basically they appear to be the same based on the specs from Garmin's website. Anybody have experience with either of these models?

BTW...I'm a map reader myself ~ but the other half likes gadgets.

Shari
It looks like the 765T includes FM lifetime traffic where it's optional on the 855.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
TomTom all the way

We have a TomTom One, third edition.
Got it free from MyCokeRewards.com a couple of years ago.

It's not something I would have broken down and bought for myself, BUT now I have it, I LOVE it. Haven't had too many dead spots, and the choice of voices is hilarious. I use NASA Mission Controil.

It's truly interesting to watch the map roll out across the screen as you drive.

Go to Best Buy and play.