Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Have a TomTom. Not really impressed. Great speedometer, but the interface is not as good as Garmin ( my son has a Garmin and I've used both on trips). Also, the maps are not as accurate. We have some fairly new highways in Mississippi that are almost 5 years old and the TomTom doesn't know they are there. It will get you where you are going , but it is NEVER the shortest or fastest. Get a Garmin.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #22

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
My Dad has one of the voice activated models and is not impressed with that particular feature. He loves the Nuvi though, and Mom now knows that he can always find his way home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Okay, so I'm not the last one!

So far, it looks like so far Garmin is the preferred brand...
I checked Costco online...they have 765T and 855. Looks like the difference is one is voice activated and the other is 3-D - but basically they appear to be the same based on the specs from Garmin's website. Anybody have experience with either of these models?

BTW...I'm a map reader myself ~ but the other half likes gadgets.

Shari

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i have a TomTom One third edition and i'm happy with it. the battery only lasts about 45 minues now but it is replaceable.

just don't to forget to update the maps as bridges do come and go!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
flint , Michigan
They have great deals on GPS's all the time. I'd get one like this...

Amazon.com Gold Box: New Deals. Every Day.

until I figured out what I liked.

I bought a Mio 310x a few years back on BlackFriday sale and I love it.
It's hackable and I just swapped the battery yesterday. I didn't expect to get so attached to it.

Sometimes when I feel naughty.... I disobey it......
flashbackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #25
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
We too have the TomTom 3rd edition. We found it on www.onesaleaday.com for $49.00 plus $5 dollars shipping.. Cheap enough so we bought it. I have to say i really like it too!

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
Garmin
Ditto.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #27
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
We've been GPS users since the early 90's - primarily on our boat. Garmin has been our choice for stand alone systems.

Since we travel & use wifi hot spots AND like to have our gear do double duty, we bought an Acer netbook with 10" screen & 160 Gb hard drive. Cost about $329. Then, picked up Microsoft Streets & trips with USB GPS at Costco for $54.95.
The netbook is a great size for hitting the internet cafes & the screen is larger than a "normal" GPS.
We set the GPS, which is the size of a thumb drive, on the dash board. I have an USB extension cable, so positioning isn't a problem. To extend the battery life, we use one of the small 300 Watt inverters plugged into the truck's lighter socket.

Yes, the software can be set up to "talk" to us if we want. Plus, if we miss a turn, it automatically recalculates & displays the new route.

Streets & Trips also provides map routing without the GPS hooked up as well as various view options.

And, if we are stalled in a traffic jam, I can always play solitare!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #28
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
And I talk back too

It is kinda fun to piss off the little voice in the box...I like to imagine it is some form of government employee telling me to do something, and I go out of my way not to.

And +1 on the maps, GPS is no substitute.
A GPS system can get you really lost if it is your only means of getting somewher.
I notice this most if I fly to another city, rent a car with GPS, and use it to get to needed location...
upon arrival, I have no idea how I got there because I am watching traffic and listening.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
I know, I know, we are probably one of the last kids on the block without one...so I figured I'd ask all of you that already have them for some info. Mr.InsideOut would normally be the one shopping for this - but he has a birthday coming up and I want to surprise him - but I have no clue...

Garmin, TomTom, Magellan...so what's the difference and what makes one better than the other? What models/features do you find most helpful? Which features do you think are more trouble than they are worth?

Cost isn't so much an issue - I'm more concerned about "bang for the buck" and ease of use. Right now we use our iPhones - but I think it's time to get something with a bit more "ooomph".

I guess one of the other things I need to know is if there are some that work better in remote "road less traveled" areas? I know with our iPhones, there have been places that there is no signal - so we are out of luck. It seems those would be the places you need a GPS most...

Shari
I'm seriously considering this program for my iPhone. Plus, with what I've read about it, it does not require a cell phone signal to work. It's also just been updated and gets better reviews than the Tom Tom version:

iPhone Navigator

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
We love our Garmin Nuvi.
It is so much better than the built-in system we had in our Armada.
That was such an awful experience that we didn't even put a built-in GPS on our option wish list when we were shopping for our GMC 2500.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #31

Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
ToTom now has an app for your iPhone. But I assume it needs a phone signal for the data.
Sam and I both have TomToms- got them originally because Garmin didn't play well with a Mac, but I think that has changed.
I do some work with TomTom - the TomTom for iPhone comes with its own maps, so unlike Google Maps or other mapping iPhone applications, the routing works even if you lose your phone signal.

In October, TomTom is releasing a Car Kit for iPhone, which acts as a mount while optimizing GPS reception (especially in areas where GPS is limited) and sound quality of the TomTom for iPhone.
tomtomrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomrep View Post
In October, TomTom is releasing a Car Kit for iPhone, which acts as a mount while optimizing GPS reception (especially in areas where GPS is limited) and sound quality of the TomTom for iPhone.
Sounds interesting, unfortunately, I will be buying one before then...thanks anyways!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf View Post
I'm seriously considering this program for my iPhone. Plus, with what I've read about it, it does not require a cell phone signal to work. It's also just been updated and gets better reviews than the Tom Tom version:

iPhone Navigator

Yes, after being impressed with the locater software on our IPhone (and we've been in some remote areas) we will get the Navigon app. It's a no brainer.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
IMHO - Garmin is the only way to go. westmarine.com the nuvi 255W is a good basic model in the $190 price range.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #35
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Shoulda run a poll?

FWIW we have several different units available for use in our company vehicles, most of us prefer the Garmin Nuvi units, those are the ones that are always gone. If you snooze you get stuck with whatever is left

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We have a Nuvi 350 & 360 and are very pleased with these units. We have found the Garmins to be very user friendly. Earlier this year I had a problem with one of our Nuvi's and contacted the Garmin website for assistance. We sent our unti to them for repairs and it was promply returned back to us at no charge. This unit was a factory overhauled unit when I purchased it. I can't say enough good things about their service department.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Shoulda run a poll?
I thought about it...but when I started the thread I wasn't even sure where to begin. I still feel a bit confused with all the different models within the Garmin line...too many specifics with all the different models to run a poll...it seems just about everyone has a different model - some not available any more.

Oh well, I have decided on a Garmin - now it's just narrowing it down to which one - specifically. It's time to go shopping at the stores & noodle around with them. At least now - I have a better idea and a smaller target. Thanks all!

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 09-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #38

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
I thought about it...but when I started the thread I wasn't even sure where to begin. I still feel a bit confused with all the different models within the Garmin line...too many specifics with all the different models to run a poll...it seems just about everyone has a different model - some not available any more.

Oh well, I have decided on a Garmin - now it's just narrowing it down to which one - specifically. It's time to go shopping at the stores & noodle around with them. At least now - I have a better idea and a smaller target. Thanks all!

Shari
Hey Shari,

You may find the Garmin website useful. They have a section titled "User Type" that may be beneficial, and you can also compare different models online. To me picking the "Right" one was sort of like trying to pick out computers, digital cameras, televisions, or mobile phones...Just too many dang choices.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

Click on the "User Type" button located on the lefthand side of the screen for some selection assistance.

I purchased my first one from the GPS Store. www.thegpsstore.com, as did my Dad (two). The others were bought using AMEX Membership Rewards Points.

Best of Luck,

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
You may find the Garmin website useful. <snip>...Just too many dang choices.
Been there, done that...that's why I posted the question ~

Thanks - the search is not over yet...I have until the end of the month - I'll post what I decide on. The most difficult thing is trying to get away to shop in person - we work together, carpool most days, restore & play together on the weekends - almost 24/7...that's why I start planning early!

Shari

Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #40
BJo
1 Rivet Member

[QUOTE=clancy_boy;747776]
Just today going from Providence, RI to Falmouth, MA - I crossed over a new bridge that my unit did not know about - it screamed loudly "turn around NOW".

When I bought my Land Cruiser it had built-in GPS. It was my first experience with this technology. I was in San Antonio on the way home with my new wheels, trying to figure out the GPS while navigating the traffic. I missed a turn & gave a 4 letter expletive that begins with an "s" and ends with a "t". A voice stated, "I do not recognize that command." I turned it off & laughed the rest of the way home.
BJo is offline   Reply With Quote