Old 09-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Garmin all the way ,

Movie Stars and Film Crews come to Me from hundreds of miles enticed by My knowledge, My imagination,expertise, creativity and innovations!
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Originally Posted by hookedonclassic View Post
We upgraded to a Garmin nuvi 255w which has the bigger screen. It is simple to use, quickly updates routes if you take an incorrect turn. Not the most expensive but a good basic model. Garmins are easy to use.
another vote for the Garmin 255.
somebody mentioned earlier comm problems with MAC, they've resolved this. No problems there, plus, you can do some neat hacking with the data- like downloading the .gpx data, and viewing it on Google Earth. I did this after I had my truck in for service. Saw exactly how the mechanic went about burning 1/2 a tank of gas.

boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
I guess one of the other things I need to know is if there are some that work better in remote "road less traveled" areas? I know with our iPhones, there have been places that there is no signal - so we are out of luck. It seems those would be the places you need a GPS most...

GPS is not like cell phone coverage - as long as the unit can "SEE" the sky and it's required number of satellites for a position fix then you are good. The maps installed in the units are human input and are only as good as the data input - soooooooo.... if the road is not in the unit then there will not be a road for the unit to position you on but the unit will give you an accurate (+/- 3 meters) position of where you are on the earth.

Just today going from Providence, RI to Falmouth, MA - I crossed over a new bridge that my unit did not know about - it screamed loudly "turn around NOW".

In general - if it can see the sky - you will have coverage. Cities with lots of tall buildings cause problems - canyons do too, lots of trees - really thick tree top canopy can reduce coverage and affect position accuracy. Too much info - I'll stop.

The best coverage right now is over the Persian Gulf region - a must have for UAV's and smart weapons. Coverage over the US is very good - commercial applications in the US require it. Coverage over the poles is the worst - the orbital paths of the sats makes coverage in that area poor.

We have a Nuvi - bought on sale at wallyworld. No complaints - I like to have a hard map as my planner and use the GPS to help out on the road - there are lots of bells and whistles - go simple and see if you like the technology in your life - to much to learn with a new device can drive a person crazy.
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
About a year ago, I was on a Delta Flight between Atlanta and Flint, Michigan. The pilot had just told us that we were cruising at 500 mph at 30,000 feet. I had the Garmin 660 in my brief case. I took it out and fired it up. The Garmin showed us traveling at 498 mph at 39,850 feet. It even showed the towns and major roads below.

At least I know that the speed and altitude is accurate.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Okay, so I'm not the last one!

So far, it looks like so far Garmin is the preferred brand...
I checked Costco online...they have 765T and 855. Looks like the difference is one is voice activated and the other is 3-D - but basically they appear to be the same based on the specs from Garmin's website. Anybody have experience with either of these models?

BTW...I'm a map reader myself ~ but the other half likes gadgets.

It looks like the 765T includes FM lifetime traffic where it's optional on the 855.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
TomTom all the way

We have a TomTom One, third edition.
Got it free from a couple of years ago.

It's not something I would have broken down and bought for myself, BUT now I have it, I LOVE it. Haven't had too many dead spots, and the choice of voices is hilarious. I use NASA Mission Controil.

It's truly interesting to watch the map roll out across the screen as you drive.

Go to Best Buy and play.
I'm just a pink flamingo on the great lawn of life :-)
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Have a TomTom. Not really impressed. Great speedometer, but the interface is not as good as Garmin ( my son has a Garmin and I've used both on trips). Also, the maps are not as accurate. We have some fairly new highways in Mississippi that are almost 5 years old and the TomTom doesn't know they are there. It will get you where you are going , but it is NEVER the shortest or fastest. Get a Garmin.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #22

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
My Dad has one of the voice activated models and is not impressed with that particular feature. He loves the Nuvi though, and Mom now knows that he can always find his way home.

Okay, so I'm not the last one!

So far, it looks like so far Garmin is the preferred brand...
I checked Costco online...they have 765T and 855. Looks like the difference is one is voice activated and the other is 3-D - but basically they appear to be the same based on the specs from Garmin's website. Anybody have experience with either of these models?

BTW...I'm a map reader myself ~ but the other half likes gadgets.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i have a TomTom One third edition and i'm happy with it. the battery only lasts about 45 minues now but it is replaceable.

just don't to forget to update the maps as bridges do come and go!
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
1974 31' Sovereign
flint , Michigan
They have great deals on GPS's all the time. I'd get one like this... Gold Box: New Deals. Every Day.

until I figured out what I liked.

I bought a Mio 310x a few years back on BlackFriday sale and I love it.
It's hackable and I just swapped the battery yesterday. I didn't expect to get so attached to it.

Sometimes when I feel naughty.... I disobey it......
flashbackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #25
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
1959 24' Tradewind
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
We too have the TomTom 3rd edition. We found it on for $49.00 plus $5 dollars shipping.. Cheap enough so we bought it. I have to say i really like it too!

2014 Intl 23' FB
1959 Tradewind 24'
2011 Dodge Dually Crew
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #26
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #27
Where we , Park it!
We've been GPS users since the early 90's - primarily on our boat. Garmin has been our choice for stand alone systems.

Since we travel & use wifi hot spots AND like to have our gear do double duty, we bought an Acer netbook with 10" screen & 160 Gb hard drive. Cost about $329. Then, picked up Microsoft Streets & trips with USB GPS at Costco for $54.95.
The netbook is a great size for hitting the internet cafes & the screen is larger than a "normal" GPS.
We set the GPS, which is the size of a thumb drive, on the dash board. I have an USB extension cable, so positioning isn't a problem. To extend the battery life, we use one of the small 300 Watt inverters plugged into the truck's lighter socket.

Yes, the software can be set up to "talk" to us if we want. Plus, if we miss a turn, it automatically recalculates & displays the new route.

Streets & Trips also provides map routing without the GPS hooked up as well as various view options.

And, if we are stalled in a traffic jam, I can always play solitare!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #28
1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
And I talk back too

It is kinda fun to piss off the little voice in the box...I like to imagine it is some form of government employee telling me to do something, and I go out of my way not to.

And +1 on the maps, GPS is no substitute.
A GPS system can get you really lost if it is your only means of getting somewher.
I notice this most if I fly to another city, rent a car with GPS, and use it to get to needed location...
upon arrival, I have no idea how I got there because I am watching traffic and listening.

Your opinion is valued, please not your opinion of someones else's opinion.
Click To See Me Wet
1989 Airstream 345 Liberator...
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote