Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Shoes or no shoes?

I was recently asked to remove my shoes before entering someone's Airstream and that incident got me to thinking about how many Airstream owners remove their shoes (and ask others to remove their shoes) before entering their Airstream.

So, fess up...shoes or no shoes? Feel free to add "why" to your post too.
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Rosie the Riveted

1975 27' Overlander
Balfour , BC
of course no shoes

Airstream owners are justifiably proud of our homes away from home and most take very good care of them...not to mention all the TLC that went into restoring some...it's just like visiting someone's home, of course we take our shoes off. Now if the dogs could learn to wipe their feet, it would be a perfect world!
Janice
Ken & Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Shoes on

We allow shoes at the moment. The previous owner had put white (yes white)carpet in right before we bought the trailer so this year we have just gone with it but as soon as I get everything fixed it's coming out and wood is going in, at that time I may ask that your shoes come off.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I have been beaten into submission (it's taken years and years). I am struggling to be good, in the no shoes group...
Old 08-23-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Shoes!

I installed laminate flooring in the kitchen/living rm. which cleans up easily. If we had carpet, I'd probably opt for no shoes. --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
NO SHOES .
here in europe Airstreams are a bit rare.
At about every stop I make people ask if they can have a look.
I don't mind but ask then to take the shoes of.
It's my home and bedroom on vacation, do you want anyone in your bedroom with his/her shoes on.
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
No shoes

We don't wear shoes in our Airstream. I don't ask that visitors remove their shoes, though - it's usually for a tour and doesn't make too much of an impact on the floor.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
The wife and I take our shoes off. The grandchildren shoes off. Everone else can leave their shoes on. We clean the carpet when we get home.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #9
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Shoes? What shoes? I live in Dixie - they're optional, and I don't like them.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
In our Argosy, we asked people to remove their shoes because of the carpet, but with our current Airstream, it doesn't matter so much since we have vinyl flooring.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Nice thread! It is dependent on weather really, and conditions of the area just outside my steps. I won't demand a lot if things aren't particularly sandy or muddy. I haven't had to ask much if conditions are unfavorable -- other Airstreamers "just know."

But when I go visiting I definitely operate on the Japanese principle of not wearing shoes into somebody else's baby -- unless they pooh-pooh the idea as they see me reaching to take off sandals, shoes, etc.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
We keep our shoes on. I have problems with my feet and left ankle, so wear custom shoes with a brace on the left one. Obviously, if it is muddy, we do our best to clean up the shoes before going on the carpet.

Vacuums, if used often keeps the carpet in good shape.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
After seeing how much sand/dirt was under the carpet of Zep's Caravel when we took it out, (must have been at least an inch, no lie) I opted for shoes off (most of the time). Little Bambi likes it better. Always use an outside carpet, or two or three.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We allow shoes as we have vinyl flooring. We do respect others' wishes when we enter their Airstreams.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Sometimes peoples feet are dirtier and smellier than my floors would ever be - so leave the shoes on unless you have a big honkin piece of yuk on the bottom of them. More scally skin and nasties can come off peoples feet than on the bottom of a shoe when the shoe has been carefully wiped.

I invest in good door matts - cause for the life of me I can not get the dogs to take their shoes off!!!

Shoes on folks - unless your shoes are dirty - then just chop your leg off and bum around for a while
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #16
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile I take my shoes off

Nice poll. I take my shoes off before entering mine or anyone elses trailer. I don't feel right asking others to do the same (unless its my child), so I usually have a bunch of rag rugs over the carpet--cause I'd rather camp than chase dirt. I am positively longing for the day I can remove the carpet and have linoleum. Hopefully this winter that project will come just before the dinette!!

It is very hard to use a trailer and camp and keep it looking clean with a carpet at the entry.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
We have 3 children. It really doesn't matter what we do. Clean is what we do from sun up to sun down. Shoes/No shoes, clean is just another 5 letter word. I think the floors would get dirty if we stripped them down to their skivvies before they came in. Kids and camping ya gotta love it. I hope Santa brings us the wood floors this year
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:37 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
to shoe or not to shoe?

that is the question...We have the industrial vinyl fake wood looking floors in our new AS... Shoes usually come off at the door so we don't get those little annoying rocks that get stuck in your shoes on the floor...(they really hurt when you step on them while walking to the John in the dark of night).. but no rule is enforced in our AS because everything mops up so nice so it's not a big deal...One of the best things we've purchased are two large pieces of outdoor carpet we roll out at camp. This really helps eliminate tracking dirt and rocks into the AS while in camp and it makes it feel real homey when the awning is out. Before we decided on our floor plan, I looked at several late model previously loved Classics I was really surprised how many 2-5 year old Airstreams had carpet that looked like it was 15 years old. IMO I'm surprised Airstream still uses carpet in the Classic line, instead of some kind of hard wood that a lot of owners end up using as a replacement. So I've got a question in Japan do they make special Airstream only slippers that a family would keep by the door just like their home? Maybe with a little airstream logo on them? NOTE to marketing department...research.. Silver slippers for the ladies and Black slippers for the men maybe…food for thought.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I ask when entering another, but with my trashed 67 carpet (most of it is the bare backing now) it really does not matter. My oldest and I usually take off our shoes anyway for the comfort factor. I plan on going with viny like the CCD's have and then it will be what ever!!!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
With two boyz and a dog, I ripped up the carpet and put down laminate flooring before the first trip out. A couple throw rugs that shake out and the floor is easy to sweep or vacuum with a small unit. Come on in, the door's always open unless the dog hits the lock while we're out and the keys are inside - that's another story.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote