Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Shady River RV Resort, Georgetown, TX

...gone... It got washed away in Hermine flooding, with all RVs damaged or destroyed. No loss of life, mercifully.

"Larry Smith searches for his trailer in the Shady River RV Resort on Texas 29 east of Georgetown. 'I have no idea where it is. It was right under that pecan tree before the water rose and swept it away. We watched it,' said Smith."

(Image source: statesman.com with permission)

Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Dude, that bites.......

I was wondering how central Tx was going to fare. Was staying in Seguin about 7 yrs ago when a similar event added 6 ft of flood water to the vacation rental we were staying in.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
The first 10" of rain were ok, as the ground was soaking it up. However, shortly after dark, a long, heavy band of heavy rain trained over us for about three or four hours and the ground had its fill so the run-off increased rapidly. By 9pm we had about 4" of standing water on the yard, and about a foot of water in the road.

We have good drainage here, and so do most of the newer developments in the area, so we all efficiently dumped our water into creeks that rapidly flooded, washing away that whole area.

Mental note: when I open an RV park, don't build it anywhere with "creek" "river" "lake" or anything water related in the name - there's probably a historical reason for the name.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
The Statesman has some raw video of the place - there's really nothing left and it's a matter of luck nobody died there.

Link

I don't know how long the link will be good.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Here at Mansfield dam (Lake Travis) we've had nearly 14" of rain in the past two days. It really rained hard here Tuesday night and for once I was glad that I'm on a hilltop. Lake Travis has come up 5' in the past 36 hours (still rising right now) and it's a big lake. The trailer stayed perfectly dry inside except for a little water which came into the shower through a cracked vent cap and the AC never started overflowing the pan drain throughout during this hot humid event. The main road into town (2222) was washed out at Bull Creek but they expect it to have it repaired on Friday.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Well, now I feel better about the little roof leak the Hermine torrent caused in my house.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
The main road into town (2222) was washed out at Bull Creek but they expect it to have it repaired on Friday.
The bridge on that main road was where that woman in the Lexus died. While I'm sad that anyone lost their life, she passed a road barrier, a patrol car and a utility vehicle, ignored the officer running after her yelling "stop!" and drove into the floodwater.

Don't drown, turn around.

This made me think: sometimes I attributed the characteristics of my tow vehicle to my trailer - so if I was towing it with a very capable truck, I'd assume it could go anywhere. That's probably not smart thinking and I'll have to address that when I get a new trailer.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We got a much needed 2.75" here at the house as Hermine went by to the west.

North and Central Texas are known for flooding.

City of Austin - A Brief History of Austin Floods

October 1998 Central Texas floods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Torrential downpours are common enough that one should think Texas = Flood as Florida = Hurricane. From a line roughly parallel to Hwy. 16 North/South going back east to the Louisiana state line.

Flood maps are available from FEMA for each county for purposes of insurance coverage. It's worth careful study. And, folks tend to forget about riled critters like water moccasins and overflow of sewage during cleanup.

I attributed the characteristics of my tow vehicle to my trailer

I recall a 50,000-lb San Antonio city bus floating away from a low-water crossing in Brackenridge Park thrity years ago. Water wasn't more than 2' deep . . but the volume/pressure was tremendous.

Saw an ad for a small aluminum trailer a year or two back from Florida that an artist had redone -- nicely -- and he stated that the reason THIS trailer survived the last hurricane was that it floated quite well, AND that it was chained to a power pylon in Key West.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
....a small aluminum trailer a year or two back from Florida that an artist had redone -- nicely....
So not the one on eBay that has the back-to-front A/C, then

Tags
flood