Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Selling the Silver Olive

With a heavy, heavy heart, I must sell my beloved Silver Olive. I've had many good times with her but am relocating across the country AGAIN.

A new job offer *dropped from the sky* and it's one that I just can't refuse. After a year and a half of working/managing a farm & ranch in rural Nevada, I have decided to return to the professional/technology arena in the suburbs of DC. Another adventure for sure. I know nothing will be as exciting as my past work on the space shuttle program, but this Lidar company is pretty awesome.

I have really enjoyed all the times in my Silver Olive but know that I likely won't be doing much camping while in the DC area. And the tow across country, by myself, would be exhausting. I do have a place to store it here in NV but I really don't see myself coming back to get or use it... and it would just deteriorate. Thus, my decision to sell her. And since the Yukon XL isn't the best choice for the DC area, I'm considering selling her also -maybe a package deal since it's set up for the tow?

Biggest challenge will be that I only have 2-1/2 weeks before I have to hit the road. I'll try to price her competitively on the classifieds here and also on craigslist. This job move was unexpected and the start date of >30 days was non-negotiable.

I'm going to really miss this community and the constant thinking about my airstream - what is the next mod, where is the next camping spot, etc.

If anyone has any advice whatsoever (AS related or not), I'm here!!!

Laura

Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Classified Ad

I'm just working on the description for my classified ad (here & craigslist). Anyone have suggestions for what all to include in the description? There's a lot to say but don't want anyone to get *bored* reading after the first page Anyone want to critique my description before I post?

Laura

Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Sorry to hear your decision, but we must do what we must do!

However I will say that, given my experience with both suburbans and beltway traffic, I would much rather have a Yukon XL on a commute because of comfort, visibility and safety. And, there would be no other choice - in 4WD - on one of those greasy, snowy days where the snow is coming down an inch-an-hour, they've announced the guv'mint should go home early, and it seems everyone is on I-66 going west trying to get out of town! If you have a black one, with tinted windows, heck - everyone will move over to let you by!
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Oh, so sorry to hear you have to leave the Sierras. Having lived in both Reno and DC, I'll take Reno in a heartbeat. We have good friends in Reno with a smaller AS who might be interested in a 27. PM me if you want direct contact.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Wishing you the best in your future.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Don't Sell! Virginia is FULL of wonderful places to do weekend visits! I know that a trip across country would be a long haul solo... but you could consider taking it to Kansas City or some interim location, and store it, then fly back and make it a 3-day trip to DC. Alternately you could pay someone to haul it all or part of the way - not cheap, but less than a new A/S.

You might even find an Airstreamer or two who'd let you use their courtesy parking for a couple of weeks - then you could stage it across the country.

Say, think of offering someone on the list a free trip to Colonial Airstream in exchange for sharing the towing!

Where there's a will, there's a relative with a smoking gun!

Paula
Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Don't Sell! Virginia is FULL of wonderful places to do weekend visits! I know that a trip across country would be a long haul solo... but you could consider taking it to Kansas City or some interim location, and store it, then fly back and make it a 3-day trip to DC. Alternately you could pay someone to haul it all or part of the way - not cheap, but less than a new A/S.

Paula
I completely agree with Paula. DON'T SELL.

The Shenandoah NP is less than one hour from DC and it connects to the longest NP of them all- the Blue Ridge Parkway for the next 460 miles. Both NP have great camping for an Airstream and towing an Airstream on both is not a problem either. Then you have the Eastern shore of Viginia and Maryland to the east of DC. Lots of other great places to go all around DC. Take a good look at a Virginia and Maryland map.

Good luck but keep your Stream!

Dan
Old 03-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Thanks for the support guys. I really don't want to sell it but I have to make a speed run across the country. Towing out here was 8 days and I need to do it in 4. Doing this with two dogs and possible bad weather is just too overwhelming of a thought. And then I'll have to pay for storage while it likely sits for an extended period. I expect to be working long hours and try to make this a new adventure in *city living*. But I'll give it some more thought. She's been one of my Pride-n-Joys for several years. Have most of the hard stuff done.
Laura
Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
HELP WANTED - Retired? Experienced towing Airstream Trailers?

Where is the closest Airstream dealer in your area? They get trailers delivered from the factory, then the driver has to take his truck back to the mothership with without a load. CALL the dealership.... deliver the trailer to the dealership... when they get in a new A/S, pay the driver to take yours to the motherhship. Have any optional service you need done AT the mothership. Pick it up and take it home from Jackson Center Ohio - about 300 - 350 miles from DC.

Call the mothership and see if they're doing a delivery to a dealership within a couple of hundred miles of your current home. It's worth a phone call at least!

Paula
Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Thanks

Laura

Just wanted to give you thanks for my introduction into airstreaming 2 1/2 years ago. I followed up on your lead (copied below) and purchased the Bambi in Cocoa.

Good luck with your endeavors!

On my drive home today, I spotted a 2006 Bambi at a little (tiny) highway-front auto sales .... did NOT look at it other than the drive by. I phoned the dealer and found that they are asking $23,995. It's one of those places that I'd never really look to for purchasing a vehicle, but maybe a trailer .... ????
Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
You are a brave soul ... heading back into the cauldron ...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Yay for Paula [Foiled Again] - great ideas. We can arrange for storage here in Nelson County (only three hours from DC) for $29/mo. right next to ours.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Thanks for the ideas Paula. I did call two nearby AS Dealers and really got the run-around. Might try the mothership tomorrow. I have had a very generous offer to transport my baby for me but I'm still vacillating on what is best for me. It's a tough decision and the clock is ticking - in a major way!

Laura
Old 03-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

I'd take Paula up on her offer, it might get vandalized or stolen in DC.