Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

selling my Airstream

We recently decided to sell our 2003 Safari LS travel trailer and we are looking for the best way to price our trailer and where we should place ads. Any help would be appreciated.
bfwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
This forum has a classified section where you can advertise your trailer.

Setting a price can be a bit tricky, especially if you're emotionally attached. Do you have any dealerships in your area which might occasionally have used Airstreams for sale? If they have something similar to yours, you might want to look at it and see how the condition compares to yours. They might also be able to inspect and give you a trade-in value which could give you a baseline. The classifieds here might also have something similar for sale.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We sold a 1998 Class B Airstream 190 recently. I'll describe our process for reference. Your situation may vary.

We watched ads on Classifieds section of Air Forums to see if any similar models were selling. That didn't provide much help to us because there were so few listings for similar vans.

We also looked at several other online resources: Craigslist, RV Trader, eBay and performed general internet searches to find similar RVs for sale.

The condition/description of many of the vans we saw for sale left something to be desired. Many times, the seller didn't list all the features, didn't say whether appliances worked or not, didn't describe features correctly, didn't describe problems/issues in sufficient detail, etc. I was surprised how many people said things like "never used the black tank," "never used the oven," and similar phrases to indicate the item had little or no wear. For me that was an instant red flag indicating they didn't know if that appliance or feature even worked!

We noted all those asking prices, gave considerable thought to how our RV was worse, the same or better than those we saw in advertisements. In the few years we owned the van we made several upgrades and made a list of those.

We posted ads on Craigslist and Air Forums Classifieds. We had very little activity from Air Forums Classifieds and lots of activity (and ultimately sold) the van via Craigslist.

I suspect Air Forums Classifieds is better suited to selling trailers so you will be likely to obtain lots of good leads from that resource. Don't overlook Craigslist.

Whatever you do... please post lots of pictures in your ad and be very thorough with your description. Use every opportunity to describe why your RV is better suited than a similar RV the buyer may be considering. Don't lie, but if you've made upgrades or taken care to ensure your RV is in top shape be sure to make that known.

We found Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds and similar online pricing tools to be much too low. I don't know how they obtain their estimates but Airstream prices are not accurate IMO.

Be prepared for low-ball offers. We received several and ignored them - we didn't even respond.

Start your homework and good luck.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
nvestysly has it right.. post lots of pictures. make sure they are sharp in focus and have a point of reference.. if you take a picture of a stove, do a close up of the burners and controls but also show the entire appliance in another picture. If you check out the car sellers on ebay they take a ton of picture to show every detail of the car..

I am amazed by ads on the classified side of this site with having only one or two picture of the unit and 5 lines of text.

I remember when craiglist used to be 4 pictures and now its 20 or so.

You can take ton of pictures post a few of them on the classified site and provide link to rest of pic on flicker etc.

a famous copywriter guy named Gary Halbert said "the more you tell the more you sell" I guarantee you got and read some of the stuff he produced. they tended to be at least 4-5 or more pages long of stuff..
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote