Old 04-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Segway? Motorcycle?

So cost of gas/diesel is only going to get worse.

Thinking about something economical to drive around town.

Anyone out there actually own a Segway? How far can you go on a single charge? Weight limits? What about traffic.... I think you'd be required to "walk it" through intersections like a bike. Ideas? Practical or a toy?

OK other choice would be a small Honda Motorcycle.

I want something I can load in the bed of my truck.

Paula

Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Paula, how 'bout a bicycle? I"ve ridden mine to work every day (except one) for the past two weeks!

Ok, if you insist on driving, a Honda Civic gets the same or better mileage than many large motorcycles. The Civic Hybrid and Prius get the same mileage as small motorcycles. Isn't that pathetic?

Roger

Old 04-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tiny spot on the map , Michigan
Scooters have come a long way in the U.S. since the moped. In Europe they are used by the thousands in cities--some even have roofs, many have windshields. There are various anti-theft devices built into them, the helmet stores in a lockable compartment under the seat, and they are zippy and fun. Even a larger, more powerful model would easily fit in the back of a truck.

Vespa is basically the Airstream of "motorini", as they are called in Italy. I'll likely get one of these once I go on the road full time. I strongly recommend the windshield if you plan on traveling at speed.
Vespa Scooters

Honda and Yamaha have some great ones as well. There are other brands, but I'm not as familiar with them. These guys are safer and easier to drive than motorcycles (and are much more comfortable), and the maxi-scooters hold their own on the highway. The smaller, weaker ones are more for city and town riding, but get even better gas mileage. You can park them anywhere!

Honda Scooters - Honda Motor Scooter Info, Specs, Prices
Yamaha: 2008 Scooter Model Overview

I've seen Segways, they are very cute but less practical. I've seen them used most successfully in large urban areas, but that doesn't mean it's the only place that they work. I've also seen a lot of people who resent Segways on the sidewalk. If you need to pick up something at the market and haul home a few plastic bags, it's harder on the segway (with a scooter you can put them on the floorboard between your feet, and theft is a greater possibility. That said, I think they are all kinds of cool.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Ok, if you insist on driving, a Honda Civic gets the same or better mileage than many large motorcycles. The Civic Hybrid and Prius get the same mileage as small motorcycles. Isn't that pathetic?

Roger
I drive 23 miles one way from suburban St. Louis county to downtown St. Louis. I can't envision using a motorcycle or scooter to traverse a 5 lane interstate, dodging the weaving autos and trucks, dealing with some poor road surfaces, and attempting to do this in rain, cold, and other less than good weather conditions. Even with all that in mind, its more dangerous to travel the city and suburban streets than deal with the interstate.

According to statistics, 70% of motorcycle/other vehicle accidents occur within the forward arc that replicates the sweep of a clock between 10 and 2 on the dial. I would dare to say that those are most likely drivers cutting off motor cycle riders, or crossing into their oncoming path. In those cases you have about 2 seconds to react. At 30 mph you will travel 88 ft in those 2 seconds. Not a lot of time when someone doesn't see you coming and pulls into your path.

I'll pay the penalty and stay in the car.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
An SUV nearly killed me on a scooter, in a much smaller city than St Louis. After that, I think I'll walk or take a bus before getting on another one.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #6

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiamma
Honda and Yamaha have some great ones as well. There are other brands, but I'm not as familiar with them. These guys are safer and easier to drive than motorcycles (and are much more comfortable), and the maxi-scooters hold their own on the highway. The smaller, weaker ones are more for city and town riding, but get even better gas mileage. You can park them anywhere!

Honda Scooters - Honda Motor Scooter Info, Specs, Prices
Yamaha: 2008 Scooter Model Overview
I think the class of the motor scooter scene is the Honda Silver Wing. It's a true touring scooter, twin cylinder 600 cc. No gear shifting required. It easily transports two and has great storage. Top end on this guy is just over 100 mph. I think if I wanted to go this route, this is the scooter I'd go after. It's not gas sipping though and probably does about 50 MPG. Considering the comfort and saftey I get from my 35 MPG Civic, I'd probably only consider this alternative if I lived in year round warmer climate and had a more minimal drive to work.

2008 Honda Silver Wing™ Base Touring Scooter Motorcycle Prices, Quotes and Pictures
Jack
AIR #56
Old 04-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #7

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
An SUV nearly killed me on a scooter, in a much smaller city than St Louis. After that, I think I'll walk or take a bus before getting on another one.
I hear ya on this one Terry!

Jack
AIR #56
Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tiny spot on the map , Michigan
Wearing a helmet and some kind of reflective safety vest is not glamorous, but always a good idea on these babies. It's true, people just don't SEE motorcycles and scooters, at least not in the US.

The highway models, as Jack said, get 50 or so mpg. The city models get upwards of 90 mpg. Some of the more souped-up highway versions can cost up to $9K.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The first rule of motorcycling is to ride like you're invisible. I've been riding for nearly 30 years and that was the first thing my father taught me when I got my first bike. This is a main reason that I feel I've ridden so long without mishap. Motorcycles are perfectly safe if you have your wits about you and both eyes on what's going on around you. In this age of distracted drivers, riding is getting to be more of a challenge. I like a challenge.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #10

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiamma
Wearing a helmet and some kind of reflective safety vest is not glamorous, but always a good idea on these babies. It's true, people just don't SEE motorcycles and scooters, at least not in the US.

The highway models, as Jack said, get 50 or so mpg. The city models get upwards of 90 mpg. Some of the more souped-up highway versions can cost up to $9K.
I would have one of these for sure. Terry I wonder if this would have made a difference for you? Watch this video, it's impressive.

Impact Jackets, LLC - Videos -
AIR #56
Old 04-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
Beneath the title

2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
Hi Paula, great discussion. Motorcycles and Airstreams can go hand in hand. They have cool people in their followings. I see discussion that an SUV almost put the lights out on a scooter, an SUV has almost taken me out in a 3/4 ton puck up. They are more dangerous than a car. That is the bottom line, but the payoff if great. Scooters, motorcycles, even some larger ones can get 35 to 65 mpg. I have a BMW 1200 GS, took it to the arctic circle two years ago. I love the thing. Important to note that I dress like a highway cone on steroids. There are so many things you can do to mitigate the risk. IMHO, its worth it. Great mileage, outdoors more, part of a whole new scene plus you can dress like a highway cone.

BMW makes a cool 600 cc Dual Sport, could be a great addition to the AS lifestyle.

I was very impressed with the Motorcycle Safety Foundation;s basic and advanced rider course. The have frank discussion on how to minimize the risk.

Maybe you could take the course and see how you like it. My sister took it in SC, drives a scooter to work much of the year. Might be fun.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
So cost of gas/diesel is only going to get worse.

Thinking about something economical to drive around town.

Anyone out there actually own a Segway? How far can you go on a single charge? Weight limits? What about traffic.... I think you'd be required to "walk it" through intersections like a bike. Ideas? Practical or a toy?

OK other choice would be a small Honda Motorcycle.

I want something I can load in the bed of my truck.

Paula
Attached Images

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:09 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
the segway is a great invention for those keen on gyroscopic human transportation, and would surely get you noticed on 4-8 lane highways. if you've ever ridden one it is quite an experience. lean slightly foward and away you go, lean back and you stop. a handle bar twistgrip turns you left and right.

let me draw a comparison to a another marvelous invention by sir clive sinclair (inventor of the 1972 slim line calculator and zx80, zx81 and zx spectrum personal computers circa late 70's) which is the Sinclair C5.
a quick wiki to Sinclair C5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia will show you how a man with a design ahead of his time quickly became an object of ridicule. those brits sure know how to deride. thing is the vehicle couldn't keep pace with the size or speed of other vehicles on the road.

personal experience riding two wheels has taught me to ride like everyones out to run you over, at least have enough HP's to keep out of the slow lane, preferably enough to outrun a porsche until you hit a 100mph and a good set of biker clothing (sturdy helmit, jacket, pants, gloves, and boots). It makes me just cringe seeing youths on pocket rockets wearing just shorts, flip flops and no gloves.
all that aside my mom and dad, both well into their 70's bought a vespa for running around once they've setup their motorhome for camp.
whatever you're comfortable with Paula

ps i may use part of my 'economy stimulus package' check here Crystalyte Hub Motors, Eon Lithium Batteries, Electric Bikes, Electric Scooters, Parts, Service
Old 04-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
How about one of these? Global Electric Motorcars
They have a top speed of 25 and a cruising distance of 30 miles on a charge.

You can get em with a sound system, cool wheels, and a pile of other features. I drove one last week - very fun and big enough to be taken seriously on city streets. They are street legal in most places for streets that have a top posted speed limit of 35 mph.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Here is a link to Segway Chat, I became interested in a Segway the more I read the group the less interested I became.

SegwayChat

This is what I just purchased to solve the amount of gas my truck burns. Doing a little work on her should be on the road in a week or two.

.Mac Web Gallery

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote