Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
If it's cool you want check out the three wheeler...
Piaggio USA
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:58 AM   #122
1 Rivet Member

Carrara , Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet View Post
Do a search on Bates RV near Tampa
Pop Rivet,

Now that's a place I hadn't heard of or seen on the net when I google Airstream.

Can you tell me something about what you have heard regarding their business. Their site is down right now so I can't see what they have in the way of 26 or 30' LY.

Are they a better choice to do business with than say Lazy Days. Thanks for the help so far.

Has anyone bought a MH from Crankyape and would like to share the experience.
busybuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:12 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Bates RV

Bates is located off I4 outside Tampa. They sell several brands however they are a huge Airstream dealer. I have not purchased from them ( came close ) but several folks on the fourm have.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #124
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Bates is located off I4 outside Tampa. They sell several brands however they are a huge Airstream dealer. I have not purchased from them ( came close ) but several folks on the fourm have.
I bought my '06 19CCD from Bates. The sales process was 'pleasant'.....but I knew what I wanted, looked on the lot and found it, made my offer (it was accepted) and came back 3 weeks later to pick it up.

That's where their true colors showed. When completing all of the paper work, I was given a long list of items that were checked for proper operation (commonly called the Pre-Delivery Inspection list, or PDI) I found it a bit unusual as all of the items were checked. Even things like TV, washer/dryer, inverter/ and several others THAT I DID NOT HAVE IN THE TRAILER, along with all of the systems like water, LP electric, etc.

When we went out to the trailer for the final inspection, the batteries were dead, it had a water leak in the front wrap window, stained curtains, a missing electrical switch panel, and several other items. Needless to say, I WAS FURIOUS!!!! but demanded to take the trailer off the lot and deal with these problems later.

I called the owner, Frank Bates, and after a 20 minute discussion of my qualifications and experience in the RV field (like more certifications than any of his staff tech) he asked if I would perform my own repairs and send him the bill.....which I did......and he PAID!

YMMV, but that's my Bates experience. Would I buy again from Bates.......NO!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #125
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I tried to buy a 30' Bunk from Bates in 2006 over the phone. After three days worth of phone calls I couldn't get a straight quote from them on the items I wanted installed or the price of the trailer. I bought from a different dealer over the phone and am glad I did.

When I returned my Airstream to Jackson Center for repairs to the body caused by a deer and a guard rail, I got an earful from more than one of Bates customers that happened to be in JC. Like I said, I'm glad I bought from a different dealer.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Wow

From the sounds of it, I'm glad it didn't buy there. Any one have experience with Colonial or just plain good dealer experiences they would share with these folks?
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #127
1 Rivet Member

Carrara , Gold Coast
Quote:
From the sounds of it, I'm glad it didn't buy there. Any one have experience with Colonial or just plain good dealer experiences they would share with these folks?
Someone please tell me about a good experience.....

I am very tempted to deal direct from the owner one this purchase.

Anyone else have experiences or know anyone that has with;

PPL
Crankyape
Lazy Days
Bates.... Not good so far.
or
Have any stories about private deals done.
busybuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Good experience

Hi, we had very good experience with George Sutton RV in Eugene, Oregon. I would feel confident sending or recommending anyone to deal with George Sutton.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I bought my '06 19CCD from Bates. The sales process was 'pleasant'.....but I knew what I wanted, looked on the lot and found it, made my offer (it was accepted) and came back 3 weeks later to pick it up.

That's where their true colors showed. When completing all of the paper work, I was given a long list of items that were checked for proper operation (commonly called the Pre-Delivery Inspection list, or PDI) I found it a bit unusual as all of the items were checked. Even things like TV, washer/dryer, inverter/ and several others THAT I DID NOT HAVE IN THE TRAILER, along with all of the systems like water, LP electric, etc.

When we went out to the trailer for the final inspection, the batteries were dead, it had a water leak in the front wrap window, stained curtains, a missing electrical switch panel, and several other items. Needless to say, I WAS FURIOUS!!!! but demanded to take the trailer off the lot and deal with these problems later.

I called the owner, Frank Bates, and after a 20 minute discussion of my qualifications and experience in the RV field (like more certifications than any of his staff tech) he asked if I would perform my own repairs and send him the bill.....which I did......and he PAID!

YMMV, but that's my Bates experience. Would I buy again from Bates.......NO!
That's too much! I've heard nothing but awful stories about Bates...how do they stay in business? Sheesh.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:41 AM   #130
1 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
The price of gas goes up and down, and we Americans adjust after a moment of complaining. As one who loves motorcycles, but just sold a Harley Road King, I say get a bicycle. Initial and subsequent costs of two-wheelers with motors ends up making them expensive and impractical. And they are dangerous due to a number of factors that involve other drivers as well as the inherent nature of a motorized two-wheeler. As I still try to sell all of my Harley flotsam and jetsam, I hope the Road King was my last motorcycle.
jrporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Colonial Airstream is a great dealer. They have the best Airstream website , the best selection of new Airstreams, great sales people. (Pat, Lauren and Dave) and if you special order, you get exactly what you want. I was there a few months back and they were expecting a buyer from the West coast that day to pick up a new purchase. If someone will travel 3000 miles to buy an Airstream, that tells you something.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:12 AM   #132
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
...I hope the Road King was my last motorcycle.
You should have bought a Triumph
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I'd like to chime in with a few scooter observations. I recently picked up my sweet Vespa GTS 250 and am still getting the hang of it. It's just a bit too tall for me, even though I've got some nice wedge motorcycle boots that help.

I'm getting a custom Corbin seat that'll hopefully help with the vertical challenges. Anyone have good experiences with those?

That being said I'm enrolled in a motorcycle safety course in the first week of September - I wish everyone would do the same. Seeing folks riding around on a scoot (or motorcycle) with no protective gear aside from a helmet (seriously - flip flops? don't understand) makes me wonder...

I was at a conference last week and the conversation turned to motorcycles. One of the women at the table mentioned she rides so I piped up that I'm in the learning phase, etc. She was psyched that there was another rider, and female no less, in the vicinity and started peppering me with questions, starting with what type of bike I had.

When I said it was a Vespa her face deflated and no joke - she told me that it "didn't count". A few of my friends piped up that it was a 250cc, but the bike snob still didn't take me seriously.

It was irritating, but for the most part I think that riders with a modicum of intelligence will accept scooter riders as one of the pack. I think so anyway.

Now I'd love to take the Vespa on camping trips, but most of the places we go to have gravel roads that aren't really close to areas of interest. I've seen one Airstreamer down in New Smyrna Beach bring their Vespa, but aside from that I haven't seen many others. Then again, it's rare for me to see another A/S when I'm camping so there you go.

Enough blathering. Cheers!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The scooter snobbery goes both ways, I'm afraid. It's also a rivalry that goes back a ways. Think Mods vs. Rockers back in the UK. You see the same thing here in North America to a certain extent, especially amongst the mod scooter clubs. I'm an avid motorcyclist and love old Vespas and Lambrettas. Unfortunately, we have to deal with the personality of the rides owner...some are nice, some are not. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #135

1994 34' Legacy 34
Campbellsport , Wisconsin
Michelle,
Don't be discouraged, scooters are becoming more and more popular. Vespa's are great. We carry a 250cc Honda Night Hawk on the back of our 94 AS Motorhome on a Versa Hauler. Works great and we can ride it together. Our friends carry along 2 50cc Honda Scooters. We have a blast, go everywhere on them. Have fun and don't feel intimidated.

Deb
kannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #136
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
The good guys will end up finding each other in the end I guess.

I find it funny now. I went into a Harley store the other day and they were all impressed with the scooter, and were surprised at how big it was.

It would be nice to see pictures of everyone on their scoots and bikes - I'll see about posting one shortly.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #137
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannen View Post
Michelle,
Don't be discouraged, scooters are becoming more and more popular. Vespa's are great. We carry a 250cc Honda Night Hawk on the back of our 94 AS Motorhome on a Versa Hauler. Works great and we can ride it together. Our friends carry along 2 50cc Honda Scooters. We have a blast, go everywhere on them. Have fun and don't feel intimidated.

Deb
Thanks Deb - and welcome to the forums!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I`m considering mounting a front receiver on my Chevy 2500 to carry a couple of scooters,they say it will haul 500#. I HATE TO BUY Chinese scooters but don`t know quite how much a Jap will cost,any experience with Chinese scooter??? thanks,Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #139
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
I`m considering mounting a front receiver on my Chevy 2500 to carry a couple of scooters,they say it will haul 500#. I HATE TO BUY Chinese scooters but don`t know quite how much a Jap will cost,any experience with Chinese scooter??? thanks,Dave
From what I've seen in the Chinese scooters, most if not all are 2-cycle (a total PIA) and break with no parts available. They are cranking them out to meet the burgeoning world wide demand, and quality control is slipping badly.

I would look at the Honda or Yamaha lines from Japan, or the Kymco line from Taiwan and if course....Vespa and Piaggio (the BEST!) It all depends on ho much scooter you want and what you are willing to spend. Check out the respective web sites for good detailed information and pricing. A big bonus is the expansive dealer network for these......where you can always get parts and repairs.

As far as etiquette goes for riders, I personally don't care what you ride......just that you DO ride. Unfortunately, this is NOT the case with many people and unfortunately, many of the guilty parties ride the big American bikes that start with 'H' and end with 'N'. It's really an attitude problem, and I will have none of it.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #140
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
As far as etiquette goes for riders, I personally don't care what you ride......just that you DO ride. Unfortunately, this is NOT the case with many people and unfortunately, many of the guilty parties ride the big American bikes that start with 'H' and end with 'N'. It's really an attitude problem, and I will have none of it.
Ditto!

(but don't we Airstreamers have a bit of a bad rep as well? if you ask some of the SOB owners? Completely undeserved, but it's out there isn't it?)