Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Here's ours. Just delivered on Wednesday.

Jack
I hope this is just a photo-op, because no matter what your riding if you go down at more than 10 mph with what y'all are wearing y'all will be very sorry. It always pays to wear full protective gear when riding on two wheels on any paved surface.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #82
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Nice ride, Jack. Don't let Terry ride it...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:57 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Training wheels ????

FWIW though: My worry is that 5 dollar gas will encourage people to buy, ride, borrow scooters or motorcycles to save gas and not be ready with training, gear, experience. I fear people will get hurt trying to save money.
Either way, it was awesome to see a scooter making the grade.
John[/quote]
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX
John, they already have training wheels for bikes out, there is one set that is simular to making the cycle into a trike, and as you lean the tires lean also taking the ridgity out of a 3 wheeled bike, there is another kind that folds down when slowed below 25 mph to stop and then retrack back up as you start to move and pick up speed. They are currently only made for full size bikes (dressers)
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Jack, nice Vespa. I had the 150 in Silver but I sold it a couple of years ago because the guy who inspired me to buy one( I didn't really know him I just use to admire his Vespa parked in front of his house) was killed when a BMW hit him. Not trying to scare you but at the time it kind of freaked me. I was riding in Baltimore city which was taking your life in your hands. We've since move to a more rural area with nice open back country roads. So........ I'm thinking about getting exactly what you have now if it will fit in the back of the F350
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #85
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think I read $28,000,000 has been poured into the company that makes Segways and not many have been sold. The company spent a lot of money convincing city councils it was ok to let them use the sidewalks. It's generally not legal to ride a bike on the sidewalk, so why should a motorized scooter, no matter how cool it is to operate, be ok on a sidewalk? I think the Segway people knew the thing wasn't street capable and saw the only way to sell them was to get them on sidewalks. The only place I've seen them was in Annapolis, Md., down at the waterfront. It didn't feel any more comfortable to have a Segway whiz by while we were strolling along than someone whiz by on roller blades. The difference in speed: most people walk at 2 mph and 3 mph is a brisk pace. A Segway at 12 mph is 4 to 6 times faster. That's like being on a Segway on the highway and the cars go by at 48 to 72 mph a foot or two away. If they won't travel on the highway and take their chances, why should walkers have to take their chances with Segways on sidewalks? They are very quiet and as a result, you can't hear them coming. A walker suddenly changes direction, and blam! They seem like a very clever and expensive toy and undoubtedly have some uses, but should stay on quiet streets and bike trails. I'm sure people are curious about them and want to see how they work (I'm curious too, but wouldn't ride it on a sidewalk or through street), but lots of people don't like them too.

I guess a gang of Segwayites in their leathers will be coming to my house soon to terrorize me.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:43 PM   #86

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone View Post
I hope this is just a photo-op, because no matter what your riding if you go down at more than 10 mph with what y'all are wearing y'all will be very sorry. It always pays to wear full protective gear when riding on two wheels on any paved surface.
Yep that was just a posed picture, if you notice the scooter is up on its stand. I'm still studying to get my permit, I'm enrolled in a safety class the beginning of September and I don't have my plates yet. I've got a helmet ordered and Patty's is being shipped. I've got a set of gloves and today bought a bright orange and lime safety vest with reflectors. We are still looking at clothing.

So right now our longest trip has been from the driveway into the garage. Yeah, once we go out for real, our gear will be a little more safety oriented.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Yep that was just a posed picture, if you notice the scooter is up on its stand. I'm still studying to get my permit, I'm enrolled in a safety class the beginning of September and I don't have my plates yet. I've got a helmet ordered and Patty's is being shipped. I've got a set of gloves and today bought a bright orange and lime safety vest with reflectors. We are still looking at clothing.

So right now our longest trip has been from the driveway into the garage. Yeah, once we go out for real, our gear will be a little more safety oriented.

Jack
Smart man! If not for protective gear I would be one big scab after all the years of riding.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, well if I have to post a picture of my scooter too, I will. I bought my scooter to take with us on Airstream trips, but really have no good way to bring it. So we plan to take our tandem bike instead. I used the scooter to drive 2 miles to work every day. [5 days a week] I drove it 8 miles a day because I drove it to work, drove it home for lunch, drove it back to work, and then home after work. It averaged 52 MPG. You do need a motorcycle license to legally drive it. My scooter is a 2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 150. It is powered by the exact same Piaggio 150cc engine that Vespa used in it's ET-4. [wife wants me to sell it now that I'm retired and no longer drive to work.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 150 (Large).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	64115   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 156 (Large).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	64116  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Riding

Quote:
Jack
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX
Jack here is a suggestion for ya that should give you some enjoyment as well as experience. If you have a trailer or could borrow one, tote your bike to a store parking lot that is fairly large during closing time or when it is near empty and ride around the parking lot. This will give you some experience as well as get you used to the bike.

Sarge
Old 07-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #90
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I rode Ruby to Boise and back yesterday. The previous owners provided Corbin seat is a god send. Passed a Safari headed east on I-84. I waved. Anyone here? $30 in gas for the motorcycle. $125 if I took the truck.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:26 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I would like to know how many others in here have bikes and bring them with them and how when they are pulling their TT???
I am searching for an idea of how to bring mine along with me, right now I am looking at making a lift to load and unload from the bed.

Sarge
Old 07-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #92

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
I would like to know how many others in here have bikes and bring them with them and how when they are pulling their TT???
I am searching for an idea of how to bring mine along with me, right now I am looking at making a lift to load and unload from the bed.

Sarge
I'm considering a folding ramp that will allow me to roll the scooter up into the rear of the van. The next step would be figuring how to secure it.

We also have situations where in a non camping mode, we might want to transport the scooter to a destination point and ride from there. In this case we could use our Honda CRV as a tow vehicle. Here's a link to a small trailer that I am looking at.

http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/...2TA-1TS32M.htm

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #93
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I always take the bike with me when I travel. I would normally ride it in to the Sprinter, but with just 2" of clearance between the bike and the tool boxes at the sides, the winch/dolly combo works very well. It's a simple one person job to winch it in/out. The bike weight about 450 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000485.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	64249   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000486.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	64250  

Name:	P1000487.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	64251  
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #94
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Lew,

I feel disappointed that you haven't already attached a little solar-powered motor to auto-winch the scoot up the ramp.

Waiting for the update. Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #95
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I always take the bike with me when I travel. I would normally ride it in to the Sprinter, but with just 2" of clearance between the bike and the tool boxes at the sides, the winch/dolly combo works very well. It's a simple one person job to winch it in/out. The bike weight about 450 lbs.
I've been wanting to see the inside back of that van, Lew, it's as nicely laid out as I thought it would be. So, with the bike, full fuel, driver/pax/bike/supplies, what does the CAT Scale say the TV weighs, solo?

On topic, I like the scooters, too. But drivers and municipalities have a long ways to go to change their ways (attitudes and street usage rules), and I have no desire to be an early adopter for in-town use. I am seeing more and more motorbikes used for commuters, but . . $3500 still buys 740-gallons of diesel. About a year of all driving, or, 3-years of all towing. Probably more like 5-6 years of vacation travel fuel usage for us at this time. (At $7/gl, it would still be 500 gls, or, 7,500 miles towing).

A recent article in The Economist states (not suggests) that some of the promising lab work underway now could result in a custom diesel blend, non-petroleum, that would cost a GREAT deal less than the current stuff. I'll wait and see on that, as one bad accident on a scooter more than negates any "saving" of fuel.

That said, I'm poised to study folding bikes this next year for travel companions/exercise in controlled areas.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #96
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Pat,

Actually, the winch IS solar powered, as the batteries that it pulls from are wired directly into the solar charge controller. Unfortunately, you still have to push the button on the winch control with your finger.

Rednax,

I haven't weighed the van solo without the extra loads, but I did hit the scales at a local fruit packing plant in Hood River as soon as I dropped the trailer, and with the bike and all of the other gear that was in it (the rear section behind the bike was loaded to the roof with Rubbermaid tubs) it tipped the scales at 8410 with me on the scales too. That's just shy of the 8550lb listed GVW

Still no problems with stopping and climbing the long 6% grades around here...it just eats tires.......only getting around 45K from the Michelin LTXs. In fact, I just switched to the Michelin XPS highway tires, and they still look new with 6500 miles on them.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
it tipped the scales at 8410 with me on the scales too. That's just shy of the 8550lb listed GVW

Still no problems with stopping and climbing the long 6% grades around here...it just eats tires.......only getting around 45K from the Michelin LTXs. In fact, I just switched to the Michelin XPS highway tires, and they still look new with 6500 miles on them.
Don't feel bad, my diesel dually weighs right around that with a full tank of fuel and nothing in the back, and I can't even get a bike in the back with my cab height camper shell.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #98
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I haven't weighed the van solo without the extra loads, but I did hit the scales at a local fruit packing plant in Hood River as soon as I dropped the trailer, and with the bike and all of the other gear that was in it (the rear section behind the bike was loaded to the roof with Rubbermaid tubs) it tipped the scales at 8410 with me on the scales too. That's just shy of the 8550lb listed GVW

Thanks for the info. I really admire the Sprinter (don't really know enough, yet, to respect them; have only talked with service men driving them and to the local Dodge/Chrysler dealer servicing them, the admiration comes from having ridden in one a half-dozen times with a thoroughly unskilled dealer driver returning me to my home. The van more than handled well), and I have been wondering what it was like for someone who has loaded it heavily, and, you really have.

I hear nothing but good about the XPS tire, would have put them on my truck, but no 17" sizing (went with the LTX A/S that wears well). Had my truck been fitted with 16" wheels, I'd have converted the Silver Streak to the same size and bought ten of the XPS. Figure THAT tire rotation pattern and schedule.

Looks like a Sprinter with a drive-in rear and some amenities up front could be a slick dual-purpose RV. A pair of scooters, a fold-out, stove/sink/bath would be one slick way to tour from a base for limited distances.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Taking my bike with me

Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
That system is not a bad idea and one that I had thought about, but my bike weighs in at 1000 LBS, and is a little wider but I could do that with a long bed PU, the other problem is getting it to role backwards to get it out, guess I would have to park the truck with the front titled up enough to get the bike to role back.
As far as you securing your bike just install the tie down in the floor where the wall meets, then tie accordingly.

Sarge
Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #100
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
That system is not a bad idea and one that I had thought about, but my bike weighs in at 1000 LBS, and is a little wider but I could do that with a long bed PU, the other problem is getting it to role backwards to get it out, guess I would have to park the truck with the front titled up enough to get the bike to role back.
As far as you securing your bike just install the tie down in the floor where the wall meets, then tie accordingly.

Sarge
Actually,

Mercedes is very generous and thoughtful with their factory-provided tie down points. I use the front 2 for the forks, and 2 removable ones that I thru-bolted for the rear. When secured, the bike won't move 1/4" .