Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
The next BIG hit to the Federal Budget will be the infrastructure bill. What do you think of the need to pay as you go and where should it come from? Highway taxes are hard to assess, unless you boost the federal tax on gas and diesel. Some states have tried USE taxes based on mileage, but how do you assess trailers? Some have tried an annual fee for vehicles like EVs that do not pay their "share" of gasoline tax.
Simple. A tax based on mileage and weight of the vehicle. The technology already exists.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Simple. A tax based on mileage and weight of the vehicle. The technology already exists.
Oregon is currently trying this method out. It bares watching and seeing how well this works for them.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
I, as well, have never been arrested, called 911 for a personal event, I did have kids in school, have not used the fire dept ? EMS to my house for an event, or used the prison system..

But these services were AVAILABLE to you if you needed them.
Not really. If everyone called the police at the same time there wouldn't be anywhere near enough cops.
Any cop will tell you there are ten times as many cops in the "poor" neighborhoods than in the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I thought you were promoting a "consumption tax" in lieu of income taxes.
I was.

Quote:
My comment was addressed toward a blended system of the two.
The worst of all possible worlds.

Quote:
A consumer already pays sales taxes.
Those are state taxes. A "VAT" tax must be to REPLACE the federal income tax, which is inherently unfair.
Quote:
The problem I saw was/is the poor pay sales taxes on a larger percentage of their income
I hear that a lot. But I don't get it. If I make a $1 million I'd pay more than the guy who makes $100 K. Remember Warren Buffett who said he paid a lower rate than his secretary? (as if he ever planned on paying more?)First, the "rate" is because she had income and he had dividends. He knows that. My solution was to reduce her rate if it made him feel bad.
Quote:
That's why a simple solution such as a nat'l sales-tax or a "flat tax" is virtually un-American.
Played the Un-American card, eh? It's un-American to be against almost every risky scheme these days. Need I make a list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
The next BIG hit to the Federal Budget will be the infrastructure bill. What do you think of the need to pay as you go and where should it come from?
Wait, what? Where were you during the last eight years? Remember the "stimulus"? A trillion dollars marked to provide "shovel ready jobs", overseen by "Joe, nothing get past him." and intended(?) to fix the infrastructure.
The infrastructure problem was solved!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Not really. If everyone called the police at the same time there wouldn't be anywhere near enough cops.
Any cop will tell you there are ten times as many cops in the "poor" neighborhoods than in the others.

I was.

The worst of all possible worlds.

Those are state taxes. A "VAT" tax must be to REPLACE the federal income tax, which is inherently unfair.
I hear that a lot. But I don't get it. If I make a $1 million I'd pay more than the guy who makes $100 K. Remember Warren Buffett who said he paid a lower rate than his secretary? (as if he ever planned on paying more?)First, the "rate" is because she had income and he had dividends. He knows that. My solution was to reduce her rate if it made him feel bad.

Played the Un-American card, eh? It's un-American to be against almost every risky scheme these days. Need I make a list?

Wait, what? Where were you during the last eight years? Remember the "stimulus"? A trillion dollars marked to provide "shovel ready jobs", overseen by "Joe, nothing get past him." and intended(?) to fix the infrastructure.
The infrastructure problem was solved!
What is best for all Americans? What is the root of our problems? Couple thoughts. No one likes to pay taxes and/or taxes on top of taxes. Looking back at the birth of this country. People came to this country to start a life to have freedom from oppression, paying taxes to the so called claimed rulers, and religion of choice to practice w/o persecution.

America has become what our fore fathers left behind. We the people have permitted this by thinking what is best for me and and not what is best for all. Pretty simple. I have no doubt others will disagree w/what I have said, have at it. People handle power and money in two ways, being humble or being greedy.

What is the root of our problems, I can not answer for others. My humble opinion, the media (AKA fake news), majority of the people trying to operate our Government (local & Fed), and the Globalist. They have sold their soles and they are trying to sell our soles.

What is best for all Americans, good question. Looking back, whether or not you agree Ronald Reagan was best for all Americans, the facts support this. It took a little over 25 years for the greedy to get us where are today after Reagan. I am waiting to see what Trump does. Currently to date it appears Trump will MAGA and lets hope he can and does and we never find ourselves in this mess again. I do not care what party you belong to. The "Swamp Rats" are on all sides. Time to clean house for good.

Safe Travels
Old 01-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
What is best for all Americans? What is the root of our problems? Couple thoughts. No one likes to pay taxes and/or taxes on top of taxes. Looking back at the birth of this country. People came to this country to start a life to have freedom from oppression, paying taxes to the so called claimed rulers, and religion of choice to practice w/o persecution.

America has become what our fore fathers left behind. We the people have permitted this by thinking what is best for me and and not what is best for all. Pretty simple. I have no doubt others will disagree w/what I have said, have at it. People handle power and money in two ways, being humble or being greedy.

What is the root of our problems, I can not answer for others. My humble opinion, the media (AKA fake news), majority of the people trying to operate our Government (local & Fed), and the Globalist. They have sold their soles and they are trying to sell our soles.

What is best for all Americans, good question. Looking back, whether or not you agree Ronald Reagan was best for all Americans, the facts support this. It took a little over 25 years for the greedy to get us where are today after Reagan. I am waiting to see what Trump does. Currently to date it appears Trump will MAGA and lets hope he can and does and we never find ourselves in this mess again. I do not care what party you belong to. The "Swamp Rats" are on all sides. Time to clean house for good.

Safe Travels
Ronald Reagan did what he said he would do.... create millions of new jobs. Yep, and he sure DID.... in Korea, and Japan, and.... most places except HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
With those thoughts in mind, then shouldn't EVERYONE pay something for those services? Currently, almost half of our country pays nothing. If you pay nothing, do you really care what the government spends?
I don't know who/what/where that statistic came from but I'm not going to hang around this thread any longer. I've heard and read enought from those who hate the gov't Of the people, BY the people, FOR the people while they worship the rich and believe that a rich inheritance in an already-great country and made him lord/tyrant over a family-business that cheated his contractors and us NOTHING like the democracy he knows nothing about... and doesn't even know the words of the national anthem. The evangelicals that condemn lying and adultery and cheating now claim he's the new born-again and one of them.

Liberal has the same root word as Liberty, but I'm worried that Mr. Trump has now inspired celebrities to believe they know how to run a country and run for president. I'm outta here and going to go throw up.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Just think if we used the billions we give away to the united nations each year and used jt for the usa how much better off we would be. No more infrastructure problems.