Old 05-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have used both PayPal and Ebay without problems.
MY I HUMBLEY SUGGEST. If you are looking for an AS on EBAY,PLEASE be able to reach out and touch it. Our AS was on both AIR Classifieds and Ebay. It was within a days drive,so I was able to go and inspect it first hand.
IF you cant do as I did <<<<< RUN>>>
The scammers are out there and will git ya.
There has been the same trailer advertized on CraigsList in four different corners of the country at the same time
REMEMBER///If it sounds to good to be true /It probably isn't.

Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Middleport , Ohio
I appreciate the input. I will not re-register at ebay, the losses of my friends is in the multiple thousands, I won't take that risk.

Paypal has access to your account(s), at any time they can freeze your money and take money from your bank, it happens every day, you do not have recourse, I can't risk that type of loss.

I guess I will keep an eye on Craigslist for local AS trailers for sale. Even there I found fraud already, for a AS in Charleston WV. It is truly sad this great country has so many dishonest people in it.

Brucep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Brucep View Post
I guess I will keep an eye on Craigslist for local AS trailers for sale. Even there I found fraud already, for a AS in Charleston WV. It is truly sad this great country has so many dishonest people in it.
Many of the dishonest people are overseas, and take advantage of the International nature of the internet. There is even computer software available that allows you to spam (and scam) Craiglist and others.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have used both successfully but you should be super diligent. I don't think I'd buy a big-ticket item on ebay, but for selling (and buying) obscure items I think ebay is very good. I had some strobe and darkroom gear that I would have never been able to sell locally and did so on ebay for good money. I think its important, as a seller, to offer a money back guarantee to legitimate buyers.
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I buy, and to a smaller extent sell, on Ebay all the time and have for years. A couple problems with parts over the years that were never delivered but Paypal refunded my money. Agree with those who say you just need to be careful. I only use Amex for my account so I have their fraud protection also. Paypal keeps wanting to link a backup CC and the bank account but we've always refused to do that.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
In olden times (my eBay account was registered in 1998) I sold two keyboards for around $1000 each, and was paid by wire transfer, and everything went fine. Hundreds of other smaller transactions went well too.

I have not been active on eBay since they started requiring paypal to be used for most transactions.

Paypal have a highly mechanical means of dealing with any disagreement. Both buyers and sellers can get burned. Ebay and paypal have made a conscious decision to provide no customer service, to speak of, and it is impossible to get a real person to review the specifics of a case and do something sensible.

Fraudulent listings, fraudulent bidding practices, and payment fraud are all widespread and so if you're selling something with real value or that can be readily resold you have to watch your back every minute and build in some losses to your business model.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I have used eBay and PayPal for years, but only as a small time buyer/seller. For little things that are really unavailable in my local area or are "used" and hard to find, I find ebay to be a great resource. I will not put out alot of money on the hope that I get a good deal on something that I cannot see, but a few dollars (less than a $100), the risk is not that big. It should be treated like one big garage sale, U buy it, U own it.

I started a bank accout at a local credit union with no fees. That is where the PayPal account is linked to. Never any funds in the account that amount to much. I do not use it for anything else. Once money is transfered to me I empty the account leaving $5 to keep it active, same thing in reverse when I buy.
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Two hundred purchases on eBay and have not been hurt so far.

Well, actually if looking at items by degrees, the wall-plate switches purchased from Airstream's Company Store were the most disappointing since they surplussed off the ones with weak plastic catches so half of the covers dislodge with feather-tip pressure. Nothing double-sided tape can't cure.

The only less than positive feedback I've been forced to give was to the United Postal Services lost freight store - sent me two helical geared shaft RPM reducers that had revolution motion-in, no-motion out... I mean how hard could've it been to check that. Okay, $9.99 and $12 shipping I'm not out much but its the intent that bothered me.

Once I doubled clicked the "pay" button and paid twice - eBay customer service promptly sent the seller a scary letter & I got my funds back.

I've driven to Maine, Maryland, Colorado, Oregon and Austin,Texas to pick items up to avoid freight charges - some of the best touring I've done and seen people and places (and $5.20 gallon gas on NY turnpike) that I would not have otherwise.

All in all, eBay and PayPal are only as toxic as you let them be.

Intelligently using their search engine and entering terms & filters to be notified by mail anytime in the next year when an item does appear is extremely valuable.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote