Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Scamp Trailer

I woke up, went outside and lo and behold, there was a 13ft Scamp Trailer parked in the next spot. It looked like my A/S had laid an egg. If you haven't seen these, they are round cornered tiny trailers that are made of fiberglass. See www.scamptrailers.com

The owner and I exchanged tours. His is cute as a button, but very basic. Apparently the company is family-owned, the trailers are literally made to order and you have to drive to Backus, MN to pick yours up direct from the factory, or pay to have it shipped directly to you. They really do look like Wee Winds in white paint.

Anyway, I did peruse their website and found out that the factory had burned down! I talked to Alan Shesley, their sales rep who said they'd lost a lot of money during the fire's aftermath - not having any sales for the whole season - but they are rebuilding and hope to be back to in production by August.

We ought to get a fundraising campaign going to help them keep the business going... You can never have too many egg shaped trailers, can you? Here goes: Let's each send a dollar to:

Scamp Trailers - Rebuild the Factory!
P. O. Box 2
Backus, MN 56435

Scamps also come in a 16' and a 19' fifth wheel... all tiny and light. Just thought that those of you who like round trailers would enjoy looking at these. Remember the old associations test....? A canned ham is to a Winnebago what a Scamp is to an Airstream.

Anyone out there actually owned one of these? How do they look and hold up? Certainly CAN actually be towed by a Lexus SUV. They sure look cuter than any pop-up I've ever seen.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Wowo - thanks for the link - I had no idea about the fire. My Husband used to own a 13 foot Scamp. He gets all doe eyed when he talks about it - still.

We breifly considered buying a Scamp or Casita... but the we found Argosy's and never looked back.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
85mh325 has a Scamp. There are also their brethren, the Casita, and the Burro. All very small, very cute, very easy to tow, and very easy to whack your head on the ceiling.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Wowo - thanks for the link - I had no idea about the fire. My Husband used to own a 13 foot Scamp. He gets all doe eyed when he talks about it - still.

Quote:
We breifly considered buying a Scamp or Casita... but the we found Argosy's and never looked back.

We did the exact same thing before we bought our Argosy. Even went so far as to go look at a few, made and offer on one too.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
We used to have a 13' Boler -- essentially the same thing as the Scamp and Casita. We loved it and went everywhere in it. However, traveling with two dogs and a cat, it just wasn't big enough. We have lots of fond memories though!
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:59 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Anyone out there actually owned one of these? How do they look and hold up? Certainly CAN actually be towed by a Lexus SUV. They sure look cuter than any pop-up I've ever seen.

Paula Ford
My first hard-sided trailer was a 19' Scamp 5th-wheel (actually a gooseneck, but they call it a 5th-wheel).

Quality was high, but the design was weak. The axles and tires were overloaded until I upgraded the axle and went from 13" to 14" wheels with some cutting out of the wheel wells.

The interior was surprisingly spacious and, in the "Deluxe" models, the cabinetry is solid oak built by a cabinet shop located across the road from the Scamp factory. The cabinets are every bit as well built and finished as my 2005 Classic 28.

The cabinet shop owner designed the original deluxe interior. I didn't like the layout, so I redesigned mine over the phone with the cabinet shop owner. My design is now one of the two standard interior layouts.

I did have a problem with the door coming open while underway until I replaced the Mickey-Mouse door latch with a better latch.

Mine held up well except for the forementioned axle and wheel problems.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I was going to say, the Scamp looks like a descendent of the Boler and Trillium trailers.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Talked to my neighbor again

I exchanged a few words over a cuppa coffee with my neighbor as he was hitching his scamp up and getting ready to depart the campground. First I watched him just pull the trailer up to the hitch and drop it on! He says he won't try that except on a very level site, but it can be done.

He's had the trailer for over 7 years and other than new tires, and brakes it's original. Turns out he has a big 5th wheel too, but it's just a pain in the .... to hitch and move, so he usually parks it at one campground for the summer. He uses the Scamp for everything else: weekend and short trips, tailgating at sports events, fishing trips, etc. If he could keep only one, it would be the Scamp.

He did, however, really like the layout of my Airstream - front bed, rear door, aluminum interior.

He's pretty impressed with the fantastic fan too. Probably will get one, or at least an "endless breeze" for his Scamp.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
Casita

We owned a Liberty Deluxe 17 ft. Casita before we bought our Bambi QS. My
husband loved it, we had all the options and went to Rice, Tx. to pick it up.
It tows like a dream and we had a lot of fun with it. There are comprimises in
all things. The Casita had a sink in the bathroom, a larger fridge and a built in
microwave also high axle and only cost $14,900. WE sold it for $13,900 to the first person to call. My husband still sucking his thumb about selling it but now I think he is starting to enjoy the extra room in our Bambi. The Casita is all
fiberglass and very well made.You have to order one and then they build it and there is a wait of several months. WE would recomend them to anyone
who is interested. Warm Regards, John & Betty PS We had ordered all the
extra options...you can get them for less $$$$
Bettymsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I was oh-so close to buying a Casita.

They have their own forums and club.

Heck. I still may buy one.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I saw an older 13' Scamp this morning while driving to work here in VA. It was painted pink and had some writing on the side. I couldn't read it because it was going the other direction.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
In our search for a travel trailer, we were thinking about the Bigfoot 25' trailer. While trying to find information about it, and a forum, I came across www.fiberglassrv.com which is dedicated to all these small fiberglass trailers...Scamp, Casita, and some I'd never heard of before (did you know that U-Haul apparently made a travel trailer at one time?).

Linda
elh3946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I used to have a Scamp - bought it brand new

Soon after my purchase, the ceiling fabric started falling down - I called the factory and sent me a spray can of glue - it was a joke and did not hold anything - they then sent me a tub of carpet cement - in other words I was on my own to fix it - I my view they did not stand behind their product - I could not wait to get rid of it - traded it at a subsantial loss on another new trailer. I thought it was a hunk of junk.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:25 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Quote:
Originally Posted by elh3946
before (did you know that U-Haul apparently made a travel trailer at one time?).

Linda
1984 U-Haul 13' Travel Trailer

Please excuse the site. I did not have time to fix the pages. The site is still in development but I thought I'd at least let you see the pictures.

www.viewrvs.com will be similar to my Airstream site but for all brands of RV's. I hope to document many of the unusual brands and units made. It should be interesting!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Could be just about anywhere , Missouri
T@B Teardrop Trailer

I spent many a virtual hour touring these:

http://www.tab-rv.com/

Talk about cute. Can be towed with 2000lb capacity. If
you like cute and high quality, check out this web site
and take some virtual tours.

Almost went with this but desided to get a guest bedroom
cause once I started to share my teardrop dream, I had
many who wanted to visit. On board bathroom was also
a consideration...

Hense sold the Subaru, bought a Dodge Ram diesel then
what the heck, went for the 30' safari bunkhouse. The
dream has changed from a couple of months on the road to
4-5 years.

chrispy1
chrispy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #16
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by elh3946
In our search for a travel trailer, we were thinking about the Bigfoot 25' trailer. While trying to find information about it, and a forum, I came across www.fiberglassrv.com which is dedicated to all these small fiberglass trailers...Scamp, Casita, and some I'd never heard of before (did you know that U-Haul apparently made a travel trailer at one time?).

Linda
I am also a moderator on fiberglassrv.com.

I have had a '78 Scamp 13' (in 1980-'81) and in the past year an '02 16' Side dinette and a Y2K 19' fifth wheel, both with the custom deluxe interior. They are super little trailers. In the past three years I've had an '86 UHaul CT-13, a '78 Trillium 1500, an '01 Love Bug II, and an '87 Burro 17' wide body. The Love Bug and Burro were both built here in Iowa.

I had every intention of keeping each of them, until the next came along that was bigger, more nicely appointed or something that caused me to move to the next one. Fortunately, like Airstream, they're either appreciating or at least holding their values also, but UNLIKE Airstream, there are still lots of good buys on used trailers out there to be had.

I just sold the '02 side dinette 16' to a couple from southern Iowa and bought an '04 Bigfoot 17' fiberglass trailer from an individual in Des Moines. It's likely the only Bigfoot in Iowa! The little glassers have every bit as dedicated a following as Airstreams and frankly share much in common, particularly the longevity. I use my trailer pretty much the same way as the guy with the Scamp and the 5th wheel. If it's too much of a hassle to get the 34' out, I take the glasser.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #17
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
If you are interested in looking at some less-known fiberglass trailers (and a few Airstreams)... feel free to check out my Yahoo albums:

http://photos.yahoo.com/chief1120

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote