Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

SBCglobal Scam?

I think I found a credit card scam. I recieved an email this morning, asking me to update my billing information. I clicked on the link and was redirected to a 'handy' form for my information. The page somehow didn't look official enough, and when I looked at the sender address it REALLY didn't look right.
I called SBC, and after speaking with 3 people. I got no greater response than the email address for sbc help and being told that "the billing department is closed today". (They were, however, able to verify that my account is ok).
I entered bogus numers so I could take screen captures of the forms. I'll forward them to SBC, but I wanted to share this with the forum as well. Cute how the last page is a dead-end, but the link address says 'thanks'?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SBCscam-Screen4.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	6942   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBCscam-Screen3.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	6950  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SBCscam-Screen2.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	6951   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBCscam-Screen1.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	6952  

Old 05-31-2004, 12:21 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
could be

Well, it sure LOOKS official, but that wouldn't be hard for a scammer to do - easy enough to save and copy the pages from a real site. I recall getting several notices from SBC that warn about these types of scams so you may be on to something. This is an example of why I do not authorize ANY monthly payments from any of my accounts - too risky. You never know who has that info anymore. I am billed for my SBC DSL along with my phone bill every month and pay it with a check, which is how I pay all my bills, although I do occasionally purchase items online with a credit card.

john
Old 05-31-2004, 12:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_safari
I am billed for my SBC DSL along with my phone bill every month and pay it with a check, which is how I pay all my bills, although I do occasionally purchase items online with a credit card.
I also combine my DSL with the phone bill, but I guess I didn't catch any warnings. Thanks, I hoped this might help somebody keep from making a mistake.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
hmmm

hmmm, in reading the verbage on those pages it does seem a little "off". For example, the tips on moving "quickly" from field to field on the form, and the third-party reference to "their privacy policies" (instead of "our privacy policies") seems curious at best. Actually, kind of creepy.

And is it coincidence that you would get it on a holiday weekend when you can't contact them?

Let us know what you find out tomorrow.

john
Old 05-31-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
report it!

linda

i have gotten a couple of these types of possible scams.

report it here http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

john
Old 05-31-2004, 01:08 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
I was told by a friend of mine who works for the D.A.'s office in Santa Fe, to isolate and use only one log-on screenname for shopping and for payments. When I signed up for AOL, I logged all my credit card and payment information onto my parent root screenname. If I shop anywhere online I go to this same parent root screenname. I NEVER use this screenname for any other reasons NOR do I ever give this screenname out. It is my secret screenname for payments only, and I never get any funky-looking emails at this "sacred" address.

Then, I created another screenname for my main and most used screenname. This is the one I used for all my surfing and for all my correspondence. I sometimes receive some of these fishy-looking emails because who knows who can copy your email address when you lookup a lot of things on the Internet. It is easy to disregard all of these phony emails because I know NOWHERE on the Internet did I buy anything with this screenname.

It save me a lot of wondering! Rose
ParisianCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 01:46 PM   #7
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Legitimate business contacts...

asking for you to update your info will always advise you to long in to their website through their normal portal. I have never received a legitmate request that linked to their website, and I have received several. It's interesting to see how ingenious crooks really get when trying to get your credit card account and PIN numbers.

It's always a scamster dead giveaway though, when the web address says "http://" and the webpage isn't your account holder (eBay for example):

http://geocities.123456.scam/scamster.html

instead of the secure sign-in "https://":

https://signin.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBay...ignIn&UsingSSL

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Reputable companies will NEVER ask you over the WEB to send this type of information over the WEB for established accounts.
Do not do it. It is too easy to get spoofed on the address. If further information is required, demand that the request be sent to you via snail mail.
This will stop most scammers for two reasons. 1) it is then mail fraud . 2) the scammers will not have your address or won't bother to do it.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:08 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Agreed, this is just another 'phishing scam' - ask Tin Can Luv how they're doing recovering from their little run in with one a few weeks ago! Never believe it. I've seen a lot of otherwise very smart people get taken in by these! They're very sneaky. Be cautious! Glad you caught on before you filled it out!

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 06:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
... and here's a way to tell

Look closely at the URL (web address). It's something like, "www.sbcglobal.net%00%000@4ham.com/message ..."

The tip-off is the "@" sign. This is not sbcglobal.net, it's a website at 4ham.com. The scam artist here is trying to make you think you're at an SBC Global website when in fact you are visiting a totally different site.

- RL

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Additional reading

There a ton of good info out there..
Here's a link to a website that combines together a useful tool.

http://www.fightidentitytheft.com/sucker.html
ciao
53FC[/b]
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote