Old 08-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

La Jolla , California
San Diego Airstream Owners

Hi All,

I'm working on buying my first Airstream (hopefully a 50s or 60s 22'), i'm an visual arts grad student at UCSD, and will be building a traveling sculpture inside of the trailer. I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing the space, especially of the 19 - 28' range of trailers. Would anyone be able to let me come by and talk about their trailer with them? I'm happy to bring a 6pack. I'm just trying to soak up as much information as possible before I drop my life-savings into this

Thanks in advance!
-tim
314-488-6691

Old 08-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Trailer size

Hi Tim,

I have a 1953 Flying Cloud that is 8 1/2' wide, with 18 1/2 living space, 21' from ball to rear bumper. This of course is with nothing inside. Such as counters, bed, closet and any thing else you can think of. I hope this helps in your decision.

On another note. We might be going to Carlsbad State Beach in Sept. If we do decide to go I will drop you a line and you can come take a look. I might be stepping out on a limb here, but we Airstreamer's love talking about our trailers . Especially if your buying

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1976 24' Argosy 24
Bonita , California
Tim. I libve in Bonita and have a '72 23', Come look at it anytime
Rick
bonitafarms@att.net
Old 09-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

La Jolla , California
Parking on the streets of San Diego

Hi All,

I'm bringing my first new airstream home this saturday and realized, ****, I dont have a driveway! Anyone know the laws pertaining to storing a trailer on the street? Are there certain places where you can leave it, certain places you can't?

Thanks!

-tim
Old 09-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatron View Post
Hi All,

I'm bringing my first new airstream home this saturday and realized, ****, I dont have a driveway! Anyone know the laws pertaining to storing a trailer on the street? Are there certain places where you can leave it, certain places you can't?

Thanks!

-tim
Congratulations on your purchase, and condolences about your "oh, Crap!" moment.
We live in Riverside, and I know the laws governing RV parking are different here than the next town. Short-term, you can probably get away with parking on the street, as long as the tow vehicle remains connected to it. "short term" means up to a week or two. There is a guy down the street from us that's had his toy hauler parked in front of his condo ever since we've lived here. He parks his tow vehicle in front of the trailer nightly, and the trailer does get taken out every other week.
Other than that, you can check out storage lots, or search Craigslist for RV spaces.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
Tim:

We have a 28' '08 International you're welcome to look at. We live in Lakeside. Let me know.

Lyle
Old 09-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
San diego parking ordinance

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatron View Post
Hi All,

Thanks!

-tim
Hi Tim,

I just found the current information here:

San Diego Municipal Code §142.0510 - Google Search

Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

La Jolla , California
so i guess the answer is... if you dont have space in your driveway, and its your house, you can park your trailer in the street.....

"Parking in Required Front, Side, or Street Side Yards. Within the RE, RS,and RX zones, on lots with a side yard of less than 10 feet, with no access tothe rear yard, and with no other on-site parking areas located outside of thefront or side yard, one of the following vehicles may be parked outdoors inthe required front, side, or street side yard subject to the requirementscontained in Section 142.0510(f)(1) and (2): recreational vehicles, traveltrailers, trailers, boats, all-terrain vehicles, motorcycles, and similar equipment"
Old 09-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Sorry, timatron, the regulation that you quoted permits you to park in your front yard only under certain circumstances, but certainly not on the street (for more than a couple of days or so).

From RVs United for Fair Parking:

"The R.V. owners in the city (of San Diego) need to be aware of a change in the Municipal Parking Codes. In brief, we have the right to park our RVs off the street and in our front yards, space permitting.

See:
San Diego Municipal Code Chapter 14: General Regulations 142.0510 General Parking Regulations:
Paragraph (g): Parking in Required Front, Side, or Street Side Yards. Within the RE, RS, and RX zones, on lots with a side yard of less than 10 feet, with no access to the rear yard, and with no other on-site parking areas located outside of the front or side yard, one of the following vehicles may be parked outdoors in the required front, side, or street side yard subject to the requirements contained in Section 142.0510(f)(1) and (2): recreational vehicles, travel trailers, trailers, boats, all-terrain vehicles, motorcycles, and similar equipment."

On street parking is limited to certain areas and only for a very limited time, such as two days or so.

It seems that you may need to store your trailer off site or, if you have space, create an area in your front yard to park your trailer.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1970 23' Safari
1956 16' Bubble
Jamul , California
22 ft Flying Cloud in Lemon Grove

Tim,
If you are still looking for a 50's 22 foot Airstream. The SD Craigslist has one in Lemon Grove under "Collectables".
Really rough 57ish Flying Cloud that needs work. call and make an offer, they need to clear the lot asap...
Good luck on your project-
Smokey 'n Baer-
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1970 Safari 23' Land Yacht
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

La Jolla , California
Thanks Bob,

I ended up buying one! But still interested in everything out there Gave him a holler, we'll see what comes of it. Here is what I bought... 1957 22' safari:

http:/www.timschwartz.org/tmp/me-new-airstream/

i'm at ucsd and have been trying to get it approved to bring on campus next to my art studio, until then its chilling in my friend's driveway

cheers,
tim