Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
I am glad you are all okay. Sorry for your loss.

What intense pictures of the accident, I can only imagine what it must have been like in such a confined space. Again, I'm glad to hear no one was hurt.

Kind Regards,

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Thanks for all the continued support - it has really helped trying to come to terms with this. I know, it's only a thing, but we become so attached and with set plans for the remainder of the camping season.... You would think we were out on the street with no place to sleep at night.

The insurance adjuster is coming shortly; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will have heart and do the right thing - I can only hope.

On the brighter side, a purchase and sales agreement was just faxed and they are waiting for me to fax it back with my signature. I'm ready to sign and send. I'll keep you updated on the progress of this purchase. I don't want to say too much and get too excited until I put my eyes on it and decide to bring it home. Not ready for another disappointment this soon.

I need to search for a pre purchase checklist so when I go to inspect it I won't overlook anything especially being caught up in this whirlwind of emotions and looking for an instant replacement. If anyone knows of a comprehensive checklist for a used trailer, I would be very appreciative. I will do a search when I get some more time. Thanks again to the Forums and Airstream community.

peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #87
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Peegreen, even as your description of the event was gripping, the pictures were devastating. What a horrible experience - I cannot imagine your thoughts as you were fighting the fire.

You guys are my heroes for responding so quickly and getting back in the saddle again with a new rig.

Pat
Old 07-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
1957 22' Caravanner
Northeast , CT
Sorry to hear of your loss! Keep the faith, something good will come of this. We all hold alot of treasured memories in our 'streams.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
This is a real belly punch. We are sure you will rise again. Hugs from both.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Needham , Massachusetts
Just returned from a wonderful 5 days in Vermont only to read this terrible news. Happy to hear that at least no one was hurt and you are well on your way to finding a replacement.
WBCCI #1521 New England Unit
07 25' International CCD FB
06 Chevy Duramax/Allison
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
So sorry that it happened to you. It is sickening to see the pictures and I am sure it is worse for you. Thankfully no one was injured. Hopefully you will receive a fair insurance settlement and move forward in your quest for another Airstream to create new memories in.

The best to you!
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Happy, happy, day

Where to start:
Insurance company came through - I didn't have to pull a Tony Soprano but after I explained that an Airstream was an American icon, one is housed in New York City in the Museum of Modern Art, there's one in the Smithsonian, from the early Appolo missions to present space shuttle, our astronauts travel to the launch complex or have been quarenteened in an Airstream and Dick Cheney has an Airstream in a KC-135 to be used as a mobile office. I've been loyal customer for 23 years, sending a check when the premium arrives as well as being exposed to continuous commercials with the caveman and gecko. It was time for them to stand up and do the right thing. It may of also helped when I asked for the phone number for the Maine Insurance Commision. They came through big time with a very nice settlement - upgraded the condition to dealer prep from average which is how they rate all totals.

Picked up a 31' 1998 Excella today and it is absolutely beautiful. Exceeded all my expectations. Drove it up to Mom & Dad's, it's on the way home and will spend the night. Dad had surgery yesterday and he is really sick, but just got back from visiting him and he's on the uptick. More good news.

Thanks to Pat, Dave and Lauren at Colonial for an excellent experience and helping me and my family to move forward. These guys were the best. Tomorrow Dakota and I will bring her home for Lisa and Logan to see. I'm sure they will be as excited as me. Monday the salvage guys come - it's long overdue. Thanks also to the Forums community.

Saturday we leave for Cape Cod..... that's where we had just returned from.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Project?

Great news, may you have many new and great days in the 31'r.

OK I got to ask, are you going to buy the old one back from the insurance company? Looks like a hard but doable project...
One can never have too many things to keep one busy.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Now that is great news!!! Congratulations and many more happy times in your new AS.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Glad to hear you made the best of a rotten situation. Great news on the new replacement. I hope our paths cross someday soon and we can check out your new one. Good luck!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:20 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
.......Picked up a 31' 1998 Excella today and it is absolutely beautiful. Exceeded all my expectations. .................Saturday we leave for Cape Cod..... that's where we had just returned from.
We are so glad that you were successful in your settlement and purchase of a new home away from home............ It looks like you're coming down to the Cape this coming weekend. Do you need courtesy parking? Where are you staying, M&I would love to see your new baby. This time we'll definitely take the tour.

You've put a smile on our faces this morning, it's so good to hear your news and glad to hear the parents are doing better. We were out in the trailer yesterday, trying to see where we can install the larger fire extinguisher instead of letting it roll around the closet like we've done for the last 3 years. Safe travels.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #97
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Picked up a 31' 1998 Excella today and it is absolutely beautiful. Exceeded all my expectations. Drove it up to Mom & Dad's, it's on the way home and will spend the night. Dad had surgery yesterday and he is really sick, but just got back from visiting him and he's on the uptick. More good news.
It's great you have a replacement trailer so quickly, and that your Dad is on the mend. Maybe when he gets well enough to travel, you can take him with you once in the new trailer. Is this the trailer we talked about, the one in Jersey?
Also, anything out of the old one that you want to salvage, if it is made from fabric or plastic, it will always have a smokey smell to it. We had a house fire 7 years ago, and the few things we kept smell of smoke to this day.
Now, about the old trailer, I figure 4 or 5 of us can come up, gut the interior, replace the insulation, and stick a new inside in it in a couple of weekends or so...
Old 07-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Needham , Massachusetts
Great news!

WBCCI #1521 New England Unit
07 25' International CCD FB
06 Chevy Duramax/Allison
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote