Old 07-20-2007, 11:16 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
The NEU newsletter editor has already sent out an "E-Quipper Bulletin" (email to all NEU members with email accounts - so that's 90% of our club) telling other members about your disaster. Hopefully having many eyes in the New England area will help you find a replacement camper quickly. And we won't be looking for Fleetwoods for you, it will be Airstreams.

Tomorrow Leon is being sent down to the barn to inspect "The Tube" for wiring and propane issues. What happened to you guys is a very big fear of mine.....
You guys are the best. Lisa's reading thru the mumbo jumbo legalese of the insurance policy right now. I can't tell if we're replacing it with a Coleman pop up or .... Right now I just want my favorite pillow. Did I tell you about the tube of toothpaste that was in the box and as Lisa opened the medicine cabinet while I was using the johnny chock..... well you already know the rest. Flush King to the rescue. Well I'm really glad I got that out before we got home.

peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I can't even imagine how you must feel...but with time you'll get through it, and you'll know how fortunate you are that you were not inside when this happened, and that nobody was hurt. And there's a new shiny toy in your future, I'm sure of it! Hang in there...we're all thinking of you! ...TB

Old 07-20-2007, 11:43 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I couldn't help myself, I got on Craig's list for the east coast right after responding to your first email. There's some out there but I don't know distances. Sometimes the cure is in the replacement. I did find an '84..............seemed reasonably priced. Jeez, am I being too forward here? It is less than half way through the summer and all and you have those reservations already made, and you have your health, your tow vehicle, and it would appear your toothpaste if I understood right.

I did happen to save the '84 advt just in case. I know, how long do you mourn and then what do you do? You'll never find a "family" like this one with any other brand of trailer and you guys are regular contributors.

Anyways, if my email about a replacement is too soon then please just put it aside and when you are ready let me know and I can send you that advt.

I know when I've had a possession damaged beyond use or sometimes even recognition it really bothers me. Just a year ago my wife and I were heading to a memorial service and on the highway we hit an ugly spot that caused the car to veer hard to the left (she was not found at fault - the highway was and it caused more than one accident before we hit the hole) and her hard earned BMW 740i was totaled. That's the bad news. The good news is the size of the car and it's myriad of safety features saved our bacon big time as noted by the police, ambulance drivers and tow truck driver. Also the good news was with the insurance she got another one two weeks later, a real beauty, and she is celebrating the one year anniversary by taking the same route back to our home town.

Take care and know that we all feel your pain. After first reading and responding to your email I just had to go out and take a quick look at mine before starting the Craigs list search.

Barry
Old 07-20-2007, 11:59 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, peegreen; So sorry to hear about you loss. My Mom used to say "All bad things happen for a good reason." Maybe the good part was that it happened with no-one in it. [it was going to happen anyhow?] Or it was time for you to get a new Airstream and the time was set by someone else.

Wake up call for some of the rest of us? I leave my gas off and it is never plugged in, but where mine is parked, [little picture to the left] if mine caught fire I would not be able to do anything but call 9-1-1 and hope to save the houses too.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Always admired your Avatar. Guess you can't even open the door. The third draw down in the kitchen was the miscilaneous kitchen utensil draw. It had my green Airstream kitchen helpers that were dealer give aways? - egg separator, strainer etc. All those little personal items. This trailer also had a couple of unique features that were factory intalled - instant hot water and fresh water auto fill. Ahhh, I think mine was looking like new axles were in the near future.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:16 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Another thing. The fire dept was checking out the LP bottles. The tanks were manufactured in '88 and my Dad had them upgraded for the OPD valves when the new law came out. The bottles were recertified by a visual inpection and re etched with a new date followed by an E. The fire chief asked when the bottle was last filled and I told him last week. The inspection had run out a year ago but only the propane dealer would know the meaning of the code and not me. Also, when this dealer fills my bottle, they don't use a scale - they just wait for the OPD to shut off the gas flow and assume it's properly filled. The chief's primary job is a gas installer and thinks the plastic float in an empty bottle bouncing down the road could cause damage to the floats making them unreliable. Filling bottles using this method is not approved. The chief is sending the state examiner to the dealer next week.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #49
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I'll help you start planning...

It's terrible to hear of your loss. We lost most everything in a house fire in 2000, and some of the stuff we saved still has that smokey smell.
I found this in the classifieds, if you want to plan for a replacement:http://www.airforums.com/classifieds...ct=3679&cat=16

This sounds like a fluke, as far as an accident. But about towing with the gas on...If you hadn't, this may have happened after you got to a campground, and were in the trailer, or asleep, or while you were away on a day trip, and much worse could have happened.
Depending on how your policy is written, you could have an agreed value, or cash value, policy. Your contents are probably insured for 1/3 of the original cost of the ttrailer. Make sure you have receipts for any upgrades or replacements you made to the trailer, this will help maximize what the insurance company will give you.
Good luck, and pick out a nice replacement.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Or, there is this one:

Airstream trailer 1984

Reply to: sale-371665518@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-07-11, 4:58PM

31 ft 1984 airstream excella air,furnace ,side bath,rear twin beds,stove,oven,
twin aluminum propane tanks ,electric lift,equalizing hitch included,front couch
and goucho pull out to beds,refridge elct and propane,$7.500 obo.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Original URL: http://cleveland.craigslist.org/rvs/371665518.html
-------------------------------------------------
Old 07-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Wow I can't believe it

Wow I don't know what to say. We were just having dinner down on the Cape Wednesday night with you guys. You talked about all the things you had done to the trailer when you first got it and the latest brakes and shocks install. I wish now that we had taken a minute to come inside instead of rushing off down the road.

I know this wasn't your first Airstream and it won't be your last, each one that you've owned has had a story and you were connected to it in some way. Maybe you'll end up with another one that you've known in it's prior life.

If you don't have a trailer by the October rally down in Eastham we can loan you a 12x12 cabin tent, oh the old roughen it days. I'm not sure if you've experienced life in a tent or if you've always been an Airstreamer.

You think like me P, your favorite pillow, the little kitchen gadgets; things that are not replaceable. I hope you are able to salvage some of them and start a collection of stuff for the new trailer.

Our thoughts are with you.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Durango , Colorado
condolences and support!!

As my wife and I begin making our 'new' '76 31' Soverign our own, I can feel my heart, soul, and sweat going into every crevice.
Reading of your loss reminds me that this School of Being Human includes dealingwith loss, and my Heart and Soul clench at the shock and grief of your circumstances. Big hugs to you!
May a sweet trailer come into your life that feeds your Soul equally as well.
I am in SW Colorado, if I knew what specifics to watch for I am happy to keep my eyes ACTIVELY on the look out for soemthing that might meet your needs!
Considering the timing of the sad affair, I'd say your Guardian Angels were working Overtime!
take care,
Sunny
Old 07-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #53
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
first thing I did last night when I pulled into the driveway was shut off the water heater, and shut off the propane bottles.

(my inlaws are using the trailer as a guest house, which was why the water heater was on. but the last couple of days, they've been off on a sub-trip.)
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
So sorry...

PeeGreen,
I might have a line on a 1979 26' Sovereign and I know where an Excella of undetermined age is located that would probably be open for sale. Sorry to hear about yours, I just finished mine (if they are ever truly finished) and I can't imagine that happening. At least nobody got hurt.
-Don
Old 07-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #55

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Also, when this dealer fills my bottle, they don't use a scale - they just wait for the OPD to shut off the gas flow and assume it's properly filled. The chief's primary job is a gas installer and thinks the plastic float in an empty bottle bouncing down the road could cause damage to the floats making them unreliable. Filling bottles using this method is not approved. The chief is sending the state examiner to the dealer next week.
This is how our bottles are filled every time. They don't use a scale.

Sorry for your loss. I know we would be devastated to lose our home away from home. Just be glad no one was hurt. That is truly a frightening accident.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I am so sorry & feel your pain!

Here's some more good thoughts being sent your way! Not to sound like a broken record, but thank goodness everybody was out of it and safe & sound and there weren't any injuries. Also that it wasn't parked close enough to any structures - yours or a neighbors! Things can be replaced...and you have your wonderful memories to builld on.

Happy hunting for your next AIrstream!

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote