Old 07-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet
You guys are gona be just fine. Start planing for a replacement right away.
I agree, as sad as you feel right now.
One year ago next month, our Safari was totaled by a semi truck - big bummer. We found a nice vintage trailer within a couple of months and moved on, even though we missed certain things about the other trailer. Life moves on even when we don't feel like moving with it. Everything you feel is normal, the pain will dull. I promise.

Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia

Sorry to hear the news. I tell people all the time while dealing with accidents on my can replace stuff, but you can't replace people. Thanks for sharing with us. Hopefully it will remind us to always keep a check on things. Good luck with the search for another AS.

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I am amazed that you had access to that many fire extinguishers. And your neighbor was great for noticing the problem and telling you promptly. Our thoughts are with you, and let the group know what you are looking for in a trailer and who knows, we see things all the time in our travels. What a bonus that none of you were hurt physically.

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #18
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Jeeze... what a way to be told 'time to get another airstream'... guess there's some new memories to be made. can't imagine the sick feeling y'all must of experienced. good luck in you search in finding one that fits for y'all.
Bill & Kim
34’ Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I have a feeling that you and your family will come through this better than the day of the fire. In fact my feeling is so strong I will send some Karma your way. Best to you.

Neil and Lynn.
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Oh man!

All of our worst nightmares come true. Glad all of you are physically ok.

vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Oh my! Been through the fun at all. THankful no one was hurt (well atleast not physically as certainly there is a lot of anguish). I lost my SOB (pre airstream) years back and still upset about it...but somewhere there is another airstream out there with your name on it.

Best of luck and look forward to seeing you folks in your next airstream.

rob n terry
"There’s not much in life we can’t over-analyze”
rmpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #22
NEU Past President
1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Unhappy Oh No!

Originally Posted by peegreen
Don't even know where to post this thread. Came home a few hours ago from a wonderful trip to Cape Cod - first trip without the kids in over ten years as they're both in camp. Rushed home today for a concert before we pick Dakota up from band camp tomorrow at Univ Southern Maine. He called while we were away and asked if we would come on Friday night. Pulled in front of the house while we went inside to check the mail etc. A neighbor came over and said out trailer was smoking. I rushed out, fumbled to find the keys, opened the door and the trailer was full of smoke. I opened the door behind the stove (ZipDee storage area) and the flames were roaring. I discharged four fire extinguishers - no help. I got the garden hose and sprayed water until the fire dept. came. They broke the windows and dowsed the flames. It looks like a fire bomb went off inside. Everything is melted. The heat was very intense - the outside skin behind the stove is all deformed, there's no kitchen faucet, it also melted. The FD concluded a wire coming up from the furnace or behind the stove was rubbing under a panel until the insulation was cut. In that storage area was a hose with a gas valve to connect a portable catalytic heater. There was no end cap on the hose. It looks like the valve was just slightly open and a spark from the wire ignited the propane. I guess we were lucky to have been in front of the house and not on the interstate and no one was hurt. I am very sad. Anyone have a trailer for sale?
PeeGreen, this is terrible. I can't believe this has happened to your beautiful, beloved Airstream. Leon and I are very glad no one was hurt and hope that you find a replacement soon. We will keep our eyes open for rigs for sale for you.
Michelle & Leon
New England Unit

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts

I am practically in tears as I am reading this. I am so very sorry. What a horrible thing.

Timing in life is everything....I just sent email to the Unit last night about Charlies trailer being for sale and it's just down the road from you. In a way this might be the perfect match for you....What do you think?

I will email the ad to you, but you might want to give Muriel a call.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
A very sad loss - enjoy the time with your family, there will be time to recover from this later. Be safe and we are all happy to hear there were no injuries.

Mike and Tina
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
2007 30' Classic
marlborough , Massachusetts
Posts: 370 sorry to hear about your Airstream Glad you are all okay.
Elaine L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thank goodness no one was in the Airstream. So sorry for your loss but glad all of you are OK. The rest will be sorted out, embrace the future. It will be even brighter than the past.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Sad, sad, day

My sympathies on the loss of your beloved Airstream. They do become like children to us. Let's be thankful that You are safe and not hurt physically.

Do You need anything? If I could conjur up a new trailer would be in your drive right now.

centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
rgesch, thanks for putting our trailer travails in perspective.
and i hope that peegreen will eventually find humor in this trial the same way you did!

Of course I'm an elitist. Look around you.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote