Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
All services offered in RV parks

I have just returned from a trip up the Alaska Hiway and back. We, as a family, experienced this most of the places we stayed. If it were only poor WIFI service I could accept that. But we found that most places do not offer all the services advertised. That ranged from pools that were not operational, water not being available at campsites, RV washing facilities not working, recreation rooms not open, play grounds not equipped (basketballs are SO hard to keep inflated we just quit trying!), and fishing that was not available as stated. While I understand that problems arise from time to time, most of the time we didn't receive an apology, much less an offer of reduced rate because of the lack of what was advertised. One campground even had the temerity to want to charge for miniature golf when the pool was closed. And it was over 100 degrees. We found these conditions not only in Alaska and Canada, but also in the lower states as well. Walmart parking lots are looking better all the time.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Actually, that closing sentence expresses the thoughts of some campground owners in Wyoming, not us. My own thoughts on it are, well, mixed: It's expensive and a headache, but probably worthwhile for the time being.

We do warn people about the service on our website, though I'm not sure that many people read (or maybe understand) what it's about. Some of the info there is legalese recommended by the industry.

Monte Verde RV Park: Wifi

Finally, my own suspicion, perhaps to be realized after I'm out of this business (not that far in the future, I hope!), is that campground wifi will go the way of telephone hookups at sites. Less than a decade ago, that was all the rage, so campgrounds rushed to lay telephone lines to sites, and rating agencies gave "points" for it. Within a very few years, nobody wanted it any more, so the expense of wiring it up was a waste, and the rating agencies dropped it as a criterion. Today, you see more and more people who use their cell service for Internet, eschewing campground wifi.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
Given that you are in the Campground bidness I appreciate and respect your reply. And your closing sentence really says it all. ...

Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I've given up on using other people's internet.

I either carry a LTE Modem with me, or just tether to my phone, again at LTE speeds where available. Faster, and much safer. Most people don't realize that using any public WIFI network is a huge security risk - never do any online banking on any public network.

Speed can drop to G3 or even slower in some rural areas, but still (most of the time) beats WIFI at campgrounds - or most hotels for that matter. Sure, it's a cost, but it's a cost I have control over. Given the predictability of service received and the feel-good factor of decent security it is worth it to me.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #18

Baltimore , Maryland
We use a wifi antenna and have an unintended consequence of finding every wifi signel in about a mile range. It works so well, I now use it in hotels with free wifi also when I travel for business.

This is the one I have but I'm sure there are many that work as well.

C. Crane US3 Super USB Wifi Antenna 3 from Amazon

Amazon.com : C. Crane US3 Super USB Wifi Antenna 3 : Electronics
Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
we stayed at a condo in gulf shores a couple weeks ago...the available wifi was slow as crap (even for just browsing). we ended up justing using our iPhones when needed...and my wifes 3G iPad as well...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
If you as a business who provides a service advertises that a service is available it is incumbent on you to provide the service. If you cannot or, more importantly, don't want to have to deal with the ramifications that the providing of the service creates for you then it is best that you simply do not offer the service.
It may actually be illegal not to provide the advertised services. Federal Trade Commission "truth in advertising" laws mean that false advertising is considered fraud and can be prosecuted as such.

I don't know of a case where someone pressed criminal charges (or even filed a civil lawsuit) for advertising WiFi where there was none, yet. But that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Quote:
I personally avoid places that do not offer WiFi. Provide WiFi such that it is usable and I will be a repeat customer and I will tell others that we had a positive experience. Provide a less than lustrous WiFi experience and not only will I not be a repeat customer I will tell others to avoid your campground because you do not deliver the services that you advertise being on offer.
Most places I stay don't have WiFi, either free or fee. I use a Verison wireless broadband WiFi hub of my own at those places. But if I stay at a place that advertises free WiFi, I expect that service to be there, and be usable. I stayed at one Louisiana state park that advertised free WiFi. Problem is, that was only in the lodge, not the campsites, and the lodge was over a mile from my campsite. Like I was going to lug my laptop that far just to check my e-mails? That advertising was definitely misleading because the restricted availability wasn't disclosed in the ad.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Must be strange to be that important feeling that you must have a wifi signal to camp. I carry a cell phone because my wife forces me too, have never used it while camping. Seldom if ever watch tv on the road either. I listen to the radio fr news and weather occasionally. If I need these things daily, I stay home. I enjoy my wifi at home but, avoid it at all costs while camping. I can camp in my driveway and have all the amenities and save lots of money. I agree if the rv resort adveritses wifi then it should be available. Just the way my life goes, your life is probably much dif. Whatever, enjoy, jim
Old 07-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Must be strange to be that important feeling that you must have a wifi signal to camp.
I try not to judge, but I must admit to occasionally feeling the same about satellite dishes. But WiFi?

When I stayed at Lake Bruin State Park, St. Joseph, LA, I did not have cell phone coverage, WiFi, or anything else. Midle of nowhere? Ha! Try far edge of nowhere!

My boss ripped me a new one later because he tried for three days to get in touch with me by both phone and e-mail while I was a happy camper at Lake Bruin. Turns out one of my family members had a medical emergency, and when the folks tried to call me and couldn't, they called my boss so that he could do it, but he couldn't get in touch, either. Turns out I was in time for the funeral, but not soon enough to say good-bye in person.

Now, I make sure I have SOME two-way connection to the outside world no matter where I camp. And my remaining family all still hate me because I was too busy camping to visit my dad in the hospital.

No. I'm not important enough to need WiFi. But my family is important enough for me to need WiFi.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #23
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Boy, how life has changed, huh? It wasn't that long ago when we camped in places where no cell phone coverage (let alone wifi) was available for dozens of miles. And that wasn't even boondocking; it was at a national monument. Made tiny Angel Fire seem like city services. Electronic communication was just not something that even crossed our minds. My guess is that there are still quite a few places of that nature in the west, but it's been a bit since we've been remote.

Lynn
Old 07-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

What's a "wifi"?......I'm already Married. 24/7

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Must be strange to be that important feeling that you must have a wifi signal to camp. I carry a cell phone because my wife forces me too, have never used it while camping. Seldom if ever watch tv on the road either. I listen to the radio fr news and weather occasionally. If I need these things daily, I stay home. I enjoy my wifi at home but, avoid it at all costs while camping. I can camp in my driveway and have all the amenities and save lots of money. I agree if the rv resort adveritses wifi then it should be available. Just the way my life goes, your life is probably much dif. Whatever, enjoy, jim
If you're going to gripe about the amenities of camping, you could start with the camper itself...

Let's face it, staying in an RV is not exactly the height of "roughing it." From there, camping means different things to different people, and there's room for everyone.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
La Casita

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Most of them say they have wifi. On our recent trip to Vancouver, of over a dozen campgrounds, we found 3 that actually claimed to have wifi THAT WORKS -- and those 3 did! The rest never even claimed it worked, just that it was there...

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Wifi is hardly an amenity of camping, neither is a cell phone. A cell phone is important in an emergency to some, but not to others. Like I said in my previous post, we each have dif needs and wants. Jim
Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I know the idea of needing wifi while "camping" is completely foreign to many. I go camping with the Jeep and a tent. The Airstream is for traveling. There's a lot more people than you might think that have jobs flexible enough for traveling 100+ nights a year, as long as we have cell service and a small amount of wifi. Yeah it's a bummer when we're out and I need to work a little. But I wouldn't trade the morning walk on the beach and the nice view out the window for being pinned down in a office 50 of 52 weeks a year.

I'm going to defend the campgrounds for a second also. It's not as simple as just writing a check big enough to make it work. A lot of parks start out getting quoted a huge number for a turn key system. Then after they have the first phase installed, they find out that was 10% of what it will really cost to make it work. They usually don't even know it was 10% until after they've doubled down once or twice to solve their "new problem" that has everyone in the park pissed-off, raising hell at the desk, threatening to sue, "taking their business somewhere else" and leaving bad reviews on the travel sites.

This is still new technology! Once you build a system for a park that has 300 spaces, it's completely worthless 18 months later when 74% of cell phone owners upgrade to smart phones that constantly nibble at the wifi. Then Netflix streaming comes along. Oh you thought someone was just going to check the news maybe read a few Wall Street Journey articles? That is a fraction of the bandwidth needed to spend just 10 minutes on Facebook.

I have no involvement with selling wifi networks, but everyone of our customers has one. Some of these wifi networks support 10,000's of "devices". They have a lot of full time, smart people, huge budgets, and these networks must work reliably. It's hard.

I agree with Lynn. The idea the campground will supply you with wifi will be gone quicker than you think. It's not what they do best. It's incredibly expensive. Besides there are better solutions already available. Give me the $4 a night discount and you can keep your wifi.