Old 06-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master
South Shore , Kentucky
RV Museum

There is an RV Museum located in Elkhart, IN. They have recently moved to a new location and are expanding. We recently visited there on our way back from Moraine View State Park Forums Rally. It's real nice and has a lot of vintage RV's (Except Airstreams). We could not find an Airstream at all with the exception of a model in the showcase. It was quite disappointing even though we no longer own one.

It's a real nice museum and I hope to see it some time later on after it's completed.

I would still recommend a visit!

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Museum - Library - Conference Center

Visit our church on the web!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We've passed it several times on the Indiana Tollway - next summer, maybe a weekend trip with the AS in tow to see it!

Steve & Susan
WBCCI# 03876
AIR# 6511
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
We stopped in there 3 or 4 years ago on the way back from the Shipshewana Flea Market. A little bit dark inside but definitly worth the side trip. Plenty of old and interesting pieces open for inspection. I'll make a mental note to check it out after the remodel.
I also found a fair number of RV/Trailer related paper collectables in the areas antique stores. Well worth the stop.

AirForums # 2806
WBCCI / VAC # 6411

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Old Paint, rolling again.
1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up RV/MH Hall of Fame

I stopped by the Hall of Fame today of course expecting to see an Airstream too (Wally was in the first class inducted though). I asked the desk volunteer about this obvious oversight and received an ear full! He said that before they moved to the new building (which is amazing) they had a vintage Airstream TT from the factory but it was sent home during the collection transfer and was never returned. They have asked continuously for one since with no result. Curiously he did say something about a '74 Bambi being offered and refused because it was too new.

All that aside the visit was well worth it even though the site is barely half completed. They hope to complete a conference center and motorhome display area soon. They do have a few interesting areas open to the public: the vintage trailer gallery, an extensive library, and an area set aside to show current offerings from a variety of manufacturers. There I loved the off-road, toy-hauling tent-camper My wife was impressed by the big plush motorhomes but to her credit her favorite was a '64 coachmen Cadet. My favorite was the '57 Serro Scotty teardrop. The public is allowed to to self tour most of the travel trailers which puts them in great peril but none are too immaculate in the first place so I didn't feel too bad.

If you are travelling through northern indiana on the toll road it's just a 2 minute drive from the Elkhart East exit.

Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
lack of Airstream

We spent 4 hours at the museum on December 22. Since we were the only two people in the building, we received the royal treatment. The gentleman working the desk was Al Hesselbart, author of "The Dumb Things Sold Just Like That". When he learned we had a vintage Airstream he took us on a tour of their newest collection, not yet on display. He even opened the doors and let us climb inside several of them, which the public won't be able to do once they go on display.

According to Al, the reason why there isn't an Airstream on display is that Airstream is currently designing their display area. It's going to take up 30 feet of wall space (the wall on the right when you walk into the vintage trailer section). For those of you who have been there, Al says the display might be similar to the Winnebago display.

This is a great museum - I would encourage everyone to visit. If you visit on a cold, snowy winter afternoon you just might be lucky enough to have the place to yourself.
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Associate Member)
dnrtheil is offline   Reply With Quote